ear piercing? double standards?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 01:34 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At what age would you allow your daughter to get her ears pierced? What about a son? If the answer is different -- why?

February 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think for a girl, it would be about 13. I didn't even get into wearing earrings until that age, although my mom let me get mine pierced at 6 or 7 I think. I regret piercing my ears, so thats why i would want to wait. For a boy... Ummm do boys even pierce their ears anymore? Ick. I see lots of young guys with stretched/plugged ears, but not many wearing earrings. I hope Major never asks to get his ear/s pierced. If he wanted to, I might consider it at 16. That's a big might. Double standard? Yeah, a little and it's cause I don't like pierced ears on guys.

Major
February 17th, 2013, 08:39 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It depends on the child and how bad they wanted them. I didn't get Daryn's pierced until much later in elementary school after quizzing her on whether she actually wanted them and if she was prepared to take care of them. We had a hard time getting them to heal and then she announced after two months that she didn't want them in the first place and her friends talked her into it so we let them grow in. She's 14 now and has started asking for them but I think I'll make her pay for them herself this time. I'd probably do the same for Eli but if it were unusual at the time for boys to get their ears pierced (you never know, styles change) then I would probably want to know why.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 17th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Trey would have to be 15/16...im sure he (or any boy that age) would only ask for ear piercings if it was "the thing to do" at the time. Olivia has hers done (as of yesterday), but I'd let her get a second hole, if she wanted (do people still do that?) at 15/16.

I got olivias done because I find it girly & cute. <--- and thats the reason I would not want Treys done.
February 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ditto!

J got hers done around 4 or 5 months. One small cry that she'll never remember and if she decides later on that she doesn't want them, she can remove them or get other piercings. I'd say I'm ok for additional piercings (nothing too crazy though) by 12-13yrs old.

As for a boy, I donno, I'm not completely opposed to him having a piercing but I'm not a fan of the huge ones or too many. Tiny stud would be fine but I wouldn't encourage it. It's just too girly and not necessary for a boy but meh I myself follow trends so if it is one and he insists, I'd consider it ....by age 15-16.
February 18th, 2013, 02:05 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was a two year old boy the other day at the hospital with his ears pierced. It was so trashy! And then I saw his mom...trash.

Anyway, girls, I think we they are old enough to make the decision and able to care for them. Boys, never. I definitely wouldn't take my boys to get it done, that's a girl thing to me unless they are older.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
February 18th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For a girl, I think 12-13 is a good age. Boy, I'm not sure. I don't want to have a double-standard, but on the other hand, it's a different kind of fashion statement. Definitely no spacers until 18, though I hope he never goes that route.

February 18th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For a girl I would probably get it done during infancy/toddler age. For a boy, probably a teenager like when he can pay for it

February 18th, 2013, 08:25 AM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
We got Madison's ears pierced right after her 1st birthday. I'd never let my boys get theirs done. I hate earrings on boys.

February 18th, 2013, 01:00 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would think I'd let them get them at the same age, their gender wouldn't play a roll at all. I'll let Izzy get hers done when she's older and asks for them. I'm not a fan of them on babies.

I had my tongue and eyebrow pierced at 15, belly button and nipple at 16 & labret at 17.
They're more strict with piercing laws now, so if you're under 18 you need parental consent.

I would rather my teen get pierced to satisfy that desire than get some hideous tattoo done in someone's basement. At least piercing holes close and aren't too noticeable.

February 18th, 2013, 09:17 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I probably would let a daughter get her ears pierced at an earlier age then I would my boys. It seems like it would be a phase for a boy rather then something he really wants to do and I would hate for him to get pierced ears and regret it later.

I don't think a girl would ever regret getting her ears pierced.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenwalter View Post
I don't think a girl would ever regret getting her ears pierced.
I regret it. And holes don't always close up. I always hear people say that a person can just let the holes close up if they don't want them, but that's not always true. I have worn earrings maybe 5 times in the last 20+ years and I could get earrings in both of my ears today if I wanted to.
February 20th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Why do you regret it?

I regret not getting more piercings lol...I know I still can but now I just feel too old for it.
February 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Double standard for me.
Lizzy can when she wants them and is ready for them between the ages of 7 and 12 most likely.

For CJ not until he's at least 13. Then earings only. (actually this goes for both) absolutley NO gauges, or tounge or nose until they are 18. (or tattoos- I waited till I was 22 for my first tattoo.

February 20th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
^ Why do you regret it?

I regret not getting more piercings lol...I know I still can but now I just feel too old for it.
Cause now I have holes in my ears that won't close lol. People often buy/give me earrings because they can see that they're pierced and I never wear them.

Major
February 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole1110 View Post
Cause now I have holes in my ears that won't close lol. People often buy/give me earrings because they can see that they're pierced and I never wear them.
that friend/family member who gives you earrings sounds like someone who pays very close attention, yet none at all.

"i noticed you have holes in your ears...but i paid no attention to the fact that ive never seen you wear anything in your ears in the 13 years ive known you. happy birthday!"
February 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
my ears were pierced when i was a baby. I very rarely wear earrings now and i doubt my holes would ever close...ive gone over a year without putting earrings in, and they've never even remotely closed. So i agree...some just wont ever close. But i really dont mind the small dot on the lobe of my ear. I would never equate it to a tattoo! haha.
February 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post

that friend/family member who gives you earrings sounds like someone who pays very close attention, yet none at all.

"i noticed you have holes in your ears...but i paid no attention to the fact that ive never seen you wear anything in your ears in the 13 years ive known you. happy birthday!"
It's usually people who don't know me well. My old boss bought me several pairs and I would put them on to be nice and take them out within like 30 mins when my earlobe was on fire. And a couple months ago a coworker of mine was making beaded jewelry at her desk and presented me with earrings and I was like "oh thanks" :/ I actually have freakishly big earlobe a though and the holes are for whatever reason, pretty noticeable. I should try to take a pic lol

Major
February 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
megpie
I always said 4th grade.....then Ava REALLY wanted her ears pierced last year....so I said why not and we got it done. She takes care of her own ears....cleans them, changes her earrings etc.

My dad took me to get my ears pierced when I was in preschool and I've loved earrings ever since.

I got my ears double pierced in high school. Loved it for about a year and then got totally annoyed by the look and have never put in earrings in those holes since.

Ear piercing can be SUCH a BIG debatable deal for some ppl and I've never understood the hoopla surrounding that.

I hope the fad of boys getting their ears pierced is way over when my boys are older. I just see it as a girls thing to do.
February 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
my ears were pierced when i was a baby. I very rarely wear earrings now and i doubt my holes would ever close...ive gone over a year without putting earrings in, and they've never even remotely closed. So i agree...some just wont ever close. But i really dont mind the small dot on the lobe of my ear. I would never equate it to a tattoo! haha.
Mine were pierced in 3rd grade when I begged my mom to let me get it done. I seriously never wear earrings now either, but I'm still glad they're pierced. No idea why though, since like I said, I never wear earrings. Lol.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search