the re-make of Annie

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nicole1110
  • 1 Post By karenwalter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quvenzhane Wallis, whos nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her performance in Beasts of the Southern Wild, has been tapped to star as the lead in the upcoming remake of Annie.

Some are upset that the iconic Annie figure is specifically recognized for her red curly hair, and shouldn't be re-cast as a black girl. Others feel that her looks aren't crucial to the storyline, so it doesn't make a difference how she is cast.

Thoughts?

February 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm...I don't think the red hair is a necessity. As iconic as it is/was, it doesn't seem like it's essential to the story. I might actually enjoy it better without the red hair. Nothing against red hair...I always wished I had it...but it might just make me look at the story with a fresh perspective, if that makes sense.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IDK, I've never actually seen Annie so I don't know the story (but I do know some of the songs). But when I think of Annie I do think of red hair.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

February 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
megpie
How in the world do you pronounce her name??? Wow.

I looooooooooved Annie when I was a kid.....I had a Annie doll, Annie trading cards....I love the movie....loved the play.......Annie brings up great childhood memories for me.....therefore, Annie DOES need red hair.
February 25th, 2013, 04:39 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was *just* wondering how to pronounce her name. I gave up.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved Annie too. I had the doll, books and the movie. We used to recreate the musical in our backyards with the neighbourhood kids. My first reaction is "Yes! She has to have red hair." But when I actually think about it, I don't think it matters. What matters is the girl be charming, quirky and have a great singing voice. I'd watch the remake and I hope it's as wonderful as the original.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never seen Annie, nor cared to so I couldn't care less who they cast as the new Annie in a remake. It took Disney until 2009 to create a Princess who was black, and I am all about kids of all races/ethnicities having heroes and heroines and whatnot to look up to so I think it's a good thing. If white people (not talking about anyone here) have a problem with it, they can just watch the 1982 version.
RobinJS likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 08:03 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to say, I would certainly hope it's not about the color of her skin as much as is it the color of her hair. Like, if they cast a white girl with blond hair for example, I hope people would be just as upset as they are now.....
RobinJS likes this.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

February 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM
megpie
To me it's the exact same if they are doing a Pippi Long Stocking remake----I want to see the ICONIC red hair in free standing braids.

Same as if they cast Cinderella with long red red and they didn't do the iconic blonde hair that Cinderella is known for---people would be all up in arms! :-P
February 25th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd get the same feedback from people if it were a blond girl as well. That is, people would be upset that she didn't have red hair.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well if you read the reader comments on almost any news article about it, most people are outraged about skin color more than hair. Very sad that we still live in that kind of world.

Major
February 25th, 2013, 11:37 PM
That is sad. This is the first I'm hearing about it so I haven't read any comments on it yet. How awful for that girl.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 26th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the hair color goes hand-in-hand with the skin color in this case. There aren't that many natural red-heads with dark skin. I'm in the first camp where I think the red hair is iconic. From what I saw during the Oscars, if it weren't for the iconic red hair, she'd be a great fit. (Okay, maybe that was just the frizzy hair)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search