highchairs

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone's LOs still use a highchair at this age?

---------------------------------------------

Trey doesnít like to use anything but a highchair at home (restaurants are different - he sits in boosters). When I make his dinner, he always makes sure to tell me that he wants to sit in his "timeout chair"<--- which is funny, considering he eats in his highchair daily & I havenít used it for timeout in months, yet THAT is what he associates it with. Anyway, he will literally eat for HOURS if I 1) put him in front of the TV (which I do try not to do, but gosh, it's so tempting) and 2) keep refilling his dish on demand (the other day, he ate 10 chicken nuggets - I had to make more. And he's been known to eat a whole box of mac-n-cheese on his own). This is awesome for nights that Olivia is being clingy or I need to get stuff done without 2 little distractions under my feet...BUT...I kind of feel like it's unhealthy. But if I donít stick him in that chair, and make him sit at the table, he won't eat nearly as well as he will eat in his highchair & he is very unhappy about it. He will cry and beg for the "timeout chair". I swear it has a hypnotizing effect on him.
March 5th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Major hasn't sat in a high chair since he was probably 20 months old or so? I don't remember exactly but it's been a long time. An entire box of Mac n cheese????? Can't wait to see what he's eating when he's a teenager.

Major
March 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Connor was pretty much the same way. But, I just finally had to take the high chair away despite the fact that dinner is now a battle. So, I totally know how you feel and I don't really have any answers except to take away the high chair when YOU want to. There's no reason why he has to sit in a regular chair instead of the high chair for meals.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At restaurants: no high chair or booster.

At home, she sometimes sits in her clip-on high chair at the island, but for a while she was attached to what she called her seat. It was a travel-system type stroller with a tray that we sometimes used as a high chair (we never had an actual high chair) if we were eating somewhere other than the island. Grace got very attached to it, but I got to where I hated it. She'd throw a fit if I tried to get her to eat somewhere else. DH got her in the habit of eating in front of the TV, and it drove me crazy. It also took up too much space, and I hated cleaning it. SO...it finally got put out in the garage. She asked for it for a while after that, but now she never mentions it.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't used high chairs since they were 18 months, but we switched to the red clip on table chairs. They climb out though!

Restaurants they just sit In a chair.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 5th, 2013, 07:58 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
No high chair here..We got rid of it awhile ago when we got our big dining room table..it has benches on each side & chairs at the ends of the table, so she sits on the bench.
March 5th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We haven't used a high chair since.. oh, I don't know when. He only uses one at a cafeteria-style restaurant, because it's easier for us to push him through the line and he can sort of see the food.

March 5th, 2013, 09:45 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eli doesn't sit in his high chair and hasn't since he was about 24 months old. After that he used it for messy crafts and play doh. It's been in the garage for about 6 months or so. He normally sits on the bench at the table, in his step stool chair or at his little table. He doesn't sit still for the entire meal though and tends to roam a bit while I hold food out for him to take bites as he's passing through.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

March 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole1110 View Post
Major hasn't sat in a high chair since he was probably 20 months old or so? I don't remember exactly but it's been a long time. An entire box of Mac n cheese????? Can't wait to see what he's eating when he's a teenager.
YES! He can eat sooo much. Sometimes when i'm feeling lazy, I'll just make him ramen noodles (yea, i know....they're probably poison, but they're so good!) for dinner - he eats two packs! That is so crazy to me. He's still skinny, i'm just worried it'll catch up to him and he'll be a porker one day.
March 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can I borrow your magic high chair?

We use a booster at home. She can probably do without it but she insists on sitting in HER chair...so it's fine. She gets in and out herself, so we don't really buckle her anymore.

I've implemented a no TV, no Phone policy at dinner time at home. She's not allowed to come sit at the table if she hasn't turned off the TV first. It doesn't guarantee that she'll eat all her food but that's one thing I'm kinda strict about. We eat our meals in less than 30 mins...im sure we can survive without any electronics on lol

At restos, we use a booster as well...and I'm guilty of using my phone to keep her distracted. Otherwise she'll want to wander around if the food is taking too long to be served.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search