Preschool/Daycare etiquette

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RobinJS
  • 1 Post By megpie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure what to title this thread really, but my question is....

Has your LO's daycare or preschool ever outlined any rules about children showing affection to each other?

The reason I ask is because Major's daycare has never... until today. Before, when 2 kid's in Major's class would give each other kisses or hugs, it wasn't a problem. As a matter of fact, the teachers would even talk about how cute it was. Major has ALWAYS had at least one really close female friend, since he was in the infant room. As toddlers do, they liked to give hugs and little kisses when greeting each other and it was clearly completely innocent and harmless. But I got a text from his little BFF's Mom today telling me that when she dropped her daughter off today, she ran over to Major to give him a kiss on the lips and she was (her Mom's words) "scolded" for it by one of the teachers and the teacher told her Mom that kissing was not allowed or acceptable. I was kinda shocked, cause it had NEVER been a problem before. The only thing I can think is that now that they are 3 and have entered a "preschool" class, that they are preparing them for what's acceptable in schools? I don't know. I mean, they're ONLY 3! I don't see the harm in it. Just wondering if any other Mom's are aware of rules against showing affection at your LO's daycare or preschool.
March 5th, 2013, 04:39 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nothing official, no. But one day when I was picking up Grace, one of her little boy friends gave her a hug and a kiss on the lips, and the teacher kind of got on to him...not in a mean way, but just told him he could give her a hug and that's all. I wonder, like you, if it's because they're getting older and the teachers are trying to teach them about what's appropriate as they prepare for starting school in a couple of years.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 5th, 2013, 06:17 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Or maybe because of germs?? I know Connor's preschool is pretty germ conscious and don't let the kids put their hands in their mouths.

Connor hugs other kids at school and the teachers have never said anything to me. He doesn't usually kiss so I don't know if they would allow it or not, but I haven't heard it ever discussed.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't heard anything from the teachers, but I don't get to see him interact with the kids much except for a minute or so when I drop him off. I know he used to get kisses from some of the other girls.

March 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh boy, Eli's going to have a hard time when he goes to preschool next month. He's a kisser! Right on the mouth too...
Nicole1110 likes this.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

March 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
right before we pulled the kids out of daycare (December), i remember a little kid hugging Trey goodbye & trying to plant a kiss on his lips, the teacher told the little boy, "no, no. we dont kiss our friends - we only kiss our mommies and daddies".

Trey isnt much of a kisser - to other kids. He kisses us, but he doesnt even like kissing Olivia. He says she'll get "slobber" on him. He kisses her forehead. Anyway, i'd seen him get kissed (and try to dodge kisses) from other kids in the past, and the teachers never tried to stop it until that particular situation.
March 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm guessing it's probably because of the lip-kissing...either to prepare them for preschool or to minimize the spread of germs. We have no official rules at our daycare or maybe I'm just not aware of them but I can see the teachers saying something if the kids lip-kissed. While it's totally innocent (and cute), I wouldn't encourage J to do it...i don't like her lip-kissing anyone except me and DH.

Hugs and cheek kisses should be fine though. They shouldn't be "scolded" for giving them!

This has me thinking now about when they go to the washroom....The daycare toilets are not in stalls...it's just a section of about 3 toilets next to each other and the kids take turns to go....I have seen boys and girls go at the same time...so wouldn't that be more of a concern than kids lip-kissing?
March 6th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well the germ thing I don't really buy, since it's never been a problem until the kids were 3. Three year olds seem to me, way less likely to spread germs from a kiss than 1 year olds who go in for them with open mouths.
March 6th, 2013, 08:41 AM
megpie
At our preschool, it's not allowed AT ALL....the youngest class is age 2.5
I wouldn't want my kids being kissed or giving kisses either.........I don't know if it's because it's a preschool and not a daycare??? Shouldn't make any difference really, I guess????
~Daniell~ likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicole, maybe you can ask the teachers if this is a new policy or what the reasoning might be?
March 11th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Meg, I wouldn't want Dashaun to be kissed either. I would also want his teachers to correct him or the other kids for kissing. I agree it is completely innocent but we have to teach them the right things now. Plus, those are my lips and I don't want to share. He greets his friends and they hug and I am totally fine with that.

March 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Meg, I wouldn't want Dashaun to be kissed either. I would also want his teachers to correct him or the other kids for kissing. I agree it is completely innocent but we have to teach them the right things now. Plus, those are my lips and I don't want to share. He greets his friends and they hug and I am totally fine with that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search