homemade vs storebought

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RobinJS
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By *~*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is there anything you've switched from using storebought to using homemade? (cleaners, laundry detergent, wipes, etc) Do you feel like they work just as good?

-----------------------------------------

Last night, after several nights on pinterest & reading through hundreds of comments on the blogs...i decided to try out making my own laundry detergent (its a no cook, no grate recipe) and a fabric softener. Then, because i was on a roll, i also made some dishwasher detergent. Someone (in the comments) said she did the math on the detergent and found out that it costs roughly $.17 to make a gallon of this particular homemade stuff. For me, that was what convinced me to try it out...i washed a load of towels and a load of the kids clothes. So far, so good.
March 6th, 2013, 08:38 AM
megpie
Yes, I've done both.....stuck with it for well over a year and I'm back to store bought.

The dishwasher soap, to me, was a total flop. I felt it didn't get the dishes as clean as I want them to be.

The washing machine soap was WONDERFUL! I made it 3-4 times. And each batch would last over 4 months???? The only thing I didn't like is that it was a powder and I really prefer liquid. THe only reason I switched back to store bought is because I found an awesome deal on a case of liquid detergent and that should last me about a year.
March 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've made home made laundry detergent (not since buying an HE washer) and found it worked great. I've also made home made dishwasher detergent which worked ok but eventually I started seeing some residue on glassware which came off with a home made rinse aid but I was worried about scratches on delicates so I stopped using it. I currently use a home made baby wipes solution poured over a pile of baby cloths in a wipes container instead of store bought.

Do you mind sharing your laundry and fabric softener recipes? Do they work for HE washers?
*~* likes this.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

March 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've looked at recipes for laundry detergent before, but they either looked too time-consuming (even if you factor in that it lasts forever...I just rarely have a chunk of time that I want to devote to that) or used ingredients that were questionable or hard to come by or something, or the comments mentioned that the wear and tear on clothing was too great (fading, raveling, etc). I'd be curious to hear your recipes, though!

And I haven't ever thought too seriously about homemade wipes, mostly because I just don't think I could get DH on board with using them.
*~* likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made laundry detergent and it works great! I need to make more soon. I also do the cloth opens and solution. Not so much anymore because Rys skin is better. But when she breaks out we switch.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
I've looked at recipes for laundry detergent before, but they either looked too time-consuming (even if you factor in that it lasts forever...I just rarely have a chunk of time that I want to devote to that) or used ingredients that were questionable or hard to come by or something, or the comments mentioned that the wear and tear on clothing was too great (fading, raveling, etc). I'd be curious to hear your recipes, though!

And I haven't ever thought too seriously about homemade wipes, mostly because I just don't think I could get DH on board with using them.
totally, totally agree. Or the recipe made like, a years worth, and i just dont space to store that. Also, dont have time to grate up bars of soap and cook it up on the stove top. The recipe i found was on a blog called "onegoodthingbyjillee.com" - she has several different recipes - her favorite is one that you cook and grate the soap, but a lot of her readers said the same thing as us...so she went on a mission to find a quick, easy homemade laundry detergent that required none of the hard work but works just as well.

She has two different, very similar recipes. I made both (because i had the ingredients and i wanted to see what the diff was in the water to ingredients ratio, as far as how well it works in my washer - because its an HE washer)

super concentrated no-grate liquid laundry detergent: (you'll want to use 1/4c per load)
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup dawn

-pour all three ingredients in a large bottle (the one she used was 89oz, which she said is 30% smaller than the gallon jug she typically uses for her other liquid no grate recipe - which i will also post)
-add 4 cups of HOT (you want it HOT to disolve all of the ingredients) water to mix and swirl until disolved
-fill the rest with COLD water.

ta-da! done! its seriously SO fast. If you get to vigorous with the swirling, you might create some bubbles from the dawn...you'll either want to wait for that to calm before adding the cold water, or just add it and let the bubbles foam out of the top. OR you can do as i did, and just add the two dry ingredients, then the hot water SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE (because i wanted to make sure it was thoroughly mixed), then add the dawn to the hot water and lightly swirl it in, then add cold water. No bubbles.

The other recipe calls for a gallon jug. (you'll use anywhere from 1/2-1c per load)
3tbsp borax
3tbsp washing soda
2tbsp dawn

mix ingredients the exact way listed above for the concentrated version. after mixing the ingredients in hot water, fill the remaining bottle with cold water.

if you make it that way, there is little to no scent to the clothes. She did say that when you're making the detergent, you can also add 1/4-1/2c scent booster to the dry ingredients (purex makes one, downy makes one, some other brands might also), before adding the hot water. That'll give your detergent a smelly good scent like the storebought stuff has. I didnt do that, because i made the fabric softner & added the scent to it.

Fabric Softner:
1c Baking soda (regulates the pH)
6c White Vinegar (softens hard water, removes residue build up, reduces static)
1/4-1/2c scent booster (like i listed above. some of teh commenters said they used essential oils instead of a storebought scent booster)

- combine 1/4-1/2c scent booster of choice in 1c HOT water. mix and let sit.
- add 1c baking soda to large mixing bowl.
- SLOWLY add 6c vinegar to mixing bowl
- pour baking soda/vinegar mixture into a large container
- add scent booster.

the ingredients will seperate as they sit, so you just have to give it a quick shake between loads.

------------------------------------

I will say, i wish i had added more smell good to my FS than just 1/2 cup. I used Purex Crystals...because they were cheap! Maybe 1/2c of downy or essential oils would have been a better choice? dont know. i have a whole bottle of Purex i'll be using to make this for the next year so, oh well.
ThaiSpice likes this.

Last edited by *~*; March 6th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
March 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJS View Post
I've made home made laundry detergent (not since buying an HE washer) and found it worked great. I've also made home made dishwasher detergent which worked ok but eventually I started seeing some residue on glassware which came off with a home made rinse aid but I was worried about scratches on delicates so I stopped using it. I currently use a home made baby wipes solution poured over a pile of baby cloths in a wipes container instead of store bought.

Do you mind sharing your laundry and fabric softener recipes? Do they work for HE washers?
She (the blogger) has a top loading regular washer, so she cant say first hand.... But she said (and i read a lot of the comments too, just to be sure) that tons of her readers have HE washers, and they say it works just fine. It is supposedly a very low suds detergent.

She has tons of great homemade stuff on her blog. i like that she has so many followers, because then i can get a real handle on whether i think it'll work for me or not. But like i said, just made it last night, only washed two loads so far. We'll see!
March 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Definitely sounds more doable! And I love Purex Crystals. I like the idea of adding something for fragrance...I know it's kind of crazy, but that's my favorite part of laundry.

March 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH...and i went to three places on my lunch break yesterday looking for borax (lowes, home depot and walmart - because they were right by my office)....after work i stopped by Target on the way home and OF COURSE they have it. Love target. Washing Soda and Dawn, you can get basically anywhere.

but if you have baking soda, and dont want to buy washing soda - google "Baking Soda to Washing Soda" - you can sprinkle baking soda on a pan and bake it for an hour in the oven on 400. it changes the molecules from NaHCO3 (baking soda) to Na2CO3 (washing soda). But i'm lazy and that was just one extra step. i bought a not-even-four-dollar-box of washing soda from wal-mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
Definitely sounds more doable! And I love Purex Crystals. I like the idea of adding something for fragrance...I know it's kind of crazy, but that's my favorite part of laundry.
me too! the next time i make it, i'm adding the purex crystals to the detergent & the softener...for a double boost. I associate clean with smelling good (which isnt really true). I hate it when my clean clothes dont smell like anything. It bothers me. Or even clean clothes that have been sitting or handing a while that no longer smell "fresh"...i am always half tempted to re-wash them so that they smell good again.
March 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
I associate clean with smelling good (which isnt really true). I hate it when my clean clothes dont smell like anything. It bothers me. Or even clean clothes that have been sitting or handing a while that no longer smell "fresh"...i am always half tempted to re-wash them so that they smell good again.
I am the same way! I know that smelling good does not equal clean, but I still want them to smell good anyway! LOL. I have seen Borax in the laundry aisle at our Wal-mart, along with washing powder. So...maybe I'll give it a try next time.

March 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for that recipe Heather! I did the grate and cook one last time, and got side tracked and ended up boiling over! It was a HUGE mess!!!

I'm making your kind now!!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
April 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM
I bought the stuff to make this! Going to give it a try. I couldn't remember how big of a container to get, so the one I got is about 3 times bigger than what she suggested, so maybe I'll just mix up more.

September 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm making another batch of this today. And I'm bumping this up so I can find it easier next time.

January 29th, 2014, 05:32 AM
recently i have made a laundry washing sope with the help of oil, it looks like a "desi sabun" .... it is realy very useful for dirty clothes. my grandmother taught me this formula and i am really thankful to her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search