sunscreen / sunburn

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Has your LO ever had a sunburn?

What kind of sunscreen do you use on your LO?
March 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
megpie
He hasn't----he and Ava tan really easily....it's Lucas who is very fair and I have to really slather him...he has gotten minor light burns where I've missed the sunscreen.....he got a burn on his face and back of his next 10 days ago when it was 83 here....funny to think about now when it's so cold here right now.

I can't remember the brands I have....we have the stick, spray, and lotion.
March 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She hasn't had a sunburn that I can remember. We've used various kinds of sunblock...different brands, and both lotion and spray. I prefer a spray of some kind.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Major has had a very slight sunburn. Like, slight in that there was almost no sign of it the next day. I am pretty protective of his skin, so I don't know yet if he has my fair skin or tans like his dad. I'm too afraid of him getting a sunburn to find out.

We use whatever is on hand. We mostly use sprays made for children - pretty much any brand.

Major
March 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Connor had a sunburn as a new baby that he got through the kitchen window while INSIDE! Yep, he had skin like mine that couldn't tan if it wanted to. I always slather him with sunscreen and his school does too pretty much anytime he's outside. We don't stick with any certain brand of sunscreen now that he's older.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM
taterm's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bella doesn't burn she gets pink and then it is a tan the next day. I am soooo jealous!

We use whichever kind. I only have the spray right now, but I do like the one that smells yummy...can't think of the name.

*Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!
March 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
He hasn't... He's my little blond viking boy but he tans like crazy!
March 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, when he was a few months old. :/ We're were sitting by the pool, and even though I tried to keep him in the shade, he still turned pink. Now he gets slathered. I don't remember what we use, but its the strongest I can find.

March 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM
gina!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only boy who has gotten a burn so far has been Brady. Once on the Fourth of July. It was one of those overcast days & we were on a friends boat. Just under his eyes got pink but it went away quick. And I vaguely recall last summer Brady getting pink on his back by our pool. But nothing crazy like when I was a kid----peeling/scabbing skin. Red for DAYS.

I try to use ones rated good on the ewg.org site. But sometimes I don't.
March 26th, 2013, 10:14 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
Thankfully all the kids have the olive skin from their dad. They have gotten a slight red one day and then it's tan by the next day normally. My 5 yr old DD gets soooooo dark during the summer......she totally looks like a little Mexican by August. The twins are Mexican and Italian so they will always be blessed with awesome tans. Audrey got slightly screwed by my super fair skin but I'm thankful she's still got her dads nice skin even if she won't get as dark as the other 2.

We use Neutrogena spray. I don't like the sunscreen that has alcohol in it cause it makes my skin sting.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
March 27th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina! View Post
The only boy who has gotten a burn so far has been Brady. Once on the Fourth of July. It was one of those overcast days & we were on a friends boat. Just under his eyes got pink but it went away quick. And I vaguely recall last summer Brady getting pink on his back by our pool. But nothing crazy like when I was a kid----peeling/scabbing skin. Red for DAYS.

I try to use ones rated good on the ewg.org site. But sometimes I don't.
YES! when i was a kid, i remember getting soooo burnt. Like, blisters on my ears, forhead, nose, etc. Now that i'm a mom, all i can think is, "what the hell was my mom thinking?!". I slather my kids in sunscreen. I'm a super whitey, but DH gets very dark. I get the feeling that Trey's skin is more similar to DH's, and Olivia (poor thing) has my skin. We went out to a festival a couple weeks ago. It was cold, but the sun was out. Olivia face got so pink. and it stuck around for a couple days! I felt so bad.

i usually use any kind of spray sunscreen on their bodies, and a stick on their face.
March 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM
gina!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
YES! when i was a kid, i remember getting soooo burnt. Like, blisters on my ears, forhead, nose, etc. Now that i'm a mom, all i can think is, "what the hell was my mom thinking?!". I slather my kids in sunscreen. I'm a super whitey, but DH gets very dark. I get the feeling that Trey's skin is more similar to DH's, and Olivia (poor thing) has my skin. We went out to a festival a couple weeks ago. It was cold, but the sun was out. Olivia face got so pink. and it stuck around for a couple days! I felt so bad.

i usually use any kind of spray sunscreen on their bodies, and a stick on their face.
I do remember not wanting to use sunscreen. My mom was ALWAYS sooooo tan (like lube up with baby oil & bake all day) so I wanted to be tan too.
I got serious about using sunscreens on myself around age 20 so hopefully I won't have too much damage in the future.

All of my kids are quite brown by summers end but we use as much sunscreen as needed to avoid burning. I want them to get as much vitamin D as possible before I coat them up.
March 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use sunscreen in the summer. The girls have never been burnt. We thought one time Ry was, but she just got really pink from the heat. It went away as soon as she cooled down.

I usually use Aveeno for them.

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eli hasn't but Daryn has. I use store brand spf 60 kids sunblock lotion for Eli and spf 45 sport/waterproof for Daryn because she plays a lot of sweaty sports. Both times that Daryn has had a bad burn I sent her with other people and the spray type sunblock. People don't apply that stuff as thickly as you're supposed to. I've learned my lesson and will never use it again!

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

March 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Violet has not had a burn.... as a matter of fact her pediatrician said at one appt last year at the end of summer "Good job on the sunscreen mom!" Guess he could tell by her still transparent skin that we slather hahaha....
I use a zinc based lotion, I don't like the sprays for one that they stink, and I like inhale them, and that they aren't thick enough or I just don't apply them right

March 28th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He's never had sunburn and I use target childrens sunscreen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search