Preschool

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 01:41 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Is your lo going to preschool in the fall?

We signed Chase up for preschool starting in August because Tenli starts Kindergarten then. He went with us for the school tour and loved it. He has been talking about going to school and is really excited about it.

April 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Coetta asked about this on FB today, this was my response:

My kids have not/will not go to preschool. To me, I don't see any reason to pay to send them somewhere to play. Preschool is not free or cheap here though, $150/200 a WEEK here! I know some states have free/very low cost programs though that I'd *maybe* consider if we were somewhere else. With Nathan and Lukas, we had "mom school" for an hour or so a day where we specifically sat down to work things. Fun worksheets about colors, shapes, letters, numbers, etc, working on cutting, gluing, etc and progressing into harder things. Each of them loved the one on one time and went/will go to K reading, adding, subtracting, knowing their coins, etc. I think with Teresa being older (I don't think I can get her in school early) she'll be the same way. They each took swimming and some other little classes at the Y to make sure listening to other adults wasn't an issue and to be okay being away from mom.
April 5th, 2013, 07:04 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy's daycare is pre-school based, so she's already doing some of those types of things -- working on motor skills, learning colors, shapes, numbers, etc. Each month they have a theme (this month it's the Earth/nature) and all of their books and activities support that. She's benefitted a lot from going, both socially and academically (do you say academically when referring to a 2 1/2 year old?????).
April 5th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
We will everyone in a while if we are in town. Our preschool is one day a week and for 2 hours, and it is a "play school" more than a Preschool.

April 6th, 2013, 07:30 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
Liam will stay home with me and do pre-school at home.

Leslie

April 6th, 2013, 08:26 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Kellen's the same way. He loves picking Kensley up from Preschool and talks about going next year. RIght now, we're only scheduled for 1 full day, as he'll have 3 years of preschool (1 day this coming year, 2 days the next and 3 days the last year before K). We'll see how he does, though. I'm not hesitant to let him go for 2 days this year if he does well. He still has a long nap in the afternoon, so if he can still nap there for a good long while, we may go to 2 days.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
We've pretty much decided Caleb will do preschool at home. We'd talked about homeschooling for preschool, but I wasn't sure what was required for a transition to public school Kinder. Im confident in his ability to learn from me and my ability to teach him. Plus it will give us something special to do together everyday after baby is here
~Kris~ likes this.

Last edited by amonstersmomma; April 6th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
April 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Milan's day care offers educational activities after 3.5 years. So far he is learning with us at home and I ask day care to work on new things when we discover new interests.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
April 7th, 2013, 12:56 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max's old daycare started Montessori pre-school at 18 months, so he did pre-preschool activities there, and then at 2, they started a more structured pre-school type program, which he's been doing since last October. He starts a new day care on Monday because of the locations and the distance to his old center since we moved, and he'll be in a preschool room in the new center as well. As sad as I am about switching, I really do love the curriculum at his new school.

All that said, if I wasn't working and he wasn't going to daycare anyway, I'd most likely keep him home with me and homeschool preschool, and then enroll him in other activities or groups for socialization. Since he has to go to daycare anyway, I figure we may as well make the most out of it

April 7th, 2013, 06:12 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Myles goes to a home daycare, but she does many educational related activites with him. In our town there really isn't a pre-school, just daycare centres.

I agree with Amy, if I didn't have to work I'd probably just have them home with me and have pre-school at home here.

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

April 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I want Lucy to go to a specific preschool in the Fall, mostly because I want her to be able to get into the Advanced Studies Academy that Jillian is in now, and the kids that go to this preschool often test into the Academy. It's only $100 a month, and it's only 3 hours a day, but it's like a real school environment. They don't just go to play. It's a class. They learn letters, numbers, colors, shapes, days of the week, months of the year, etc. I try to teach her these things myself, but she's stubborn and doesn't like to listen to me. I think she would learn better from someone else.

The only thing is... She has to be potty trained to be able to go, and the potty training isn't going so great. :/
April 8th, 2013, 06:57 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Brooke, but if she didn't go this fall, she would still have two more years to go, right? Or did Jillian's program start in preschool too?

April 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I want her to go to Jillian's school for pre-k 4. Jillian didn't start until kindergarten, but the thing is, when testing for pre-k, there are 40 spots. The 40 highest scores get into the school. If we wait until kindergarten to test her, then there will be a lot less spots because the kids that already got in for pre-k will be moving on to kindergarten. When Jillian tested for kindergarten, there were only 8 spots. 40 chances are a lot better than 8! If she doesn't make it for pre-k, though, I'll put her in pre-k somewhere else and then try to get her in again for kindergarten. Every year after pre-k, though, it gets harder and harder to get in.
April 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Tanner went to preschool and LOVED it...he really learned a ton there and it helped him be more social. I wanted to send Elaina to the same preschool but found out their cut off date is Sept 1st....E misses it by 9 days. I called and talked to the director and she said they had to let everyone enroll who were eligible, and then if there were slots left Elaina could enroll. Otherwise she will go in 2014 and 2015. She misses the Kindergarten cut off too so she'll be nearly 6 when she goes to K, unless they allow her to test to start early, but really it doesn't bother me.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

April 8th, 2013, 09:18 PM
lilybell08's Avatar Bethany
Ella will be starting preschool two days a week in August. I love Matthew's preschool teacher and it has done so much for him so I would like the same experience for Ella. I'm definitely not looking forward to the cost though. :/
April 10th, 2013, 06:18 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Natalie will attend preschool two afternoons per week, but she is going to a different school than Owen goes to currently. We liked his school, but it's in a neighboring town and the logistics of dropping him off for Kindergarten and getting Natalie on time to her school was too much. So now, they are both going less than a block from my house to their respective schools. I can even walk in good weather She is so excited to go, but I haven't told her yet she won't be going to Owen's school.
AtomicMama likes this.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

April 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mackenzie will be going 3 morning a week, Hannah starts kindergarden in the fall so Mackenzie will be taking her place (financially) and then I will have 3 morning a week with just Alexandria.

April 17th, 2013, 05:02 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
Our daycare is also Pre-School and Pre-K programmed... You have to be 3 and potty trained to be in the Pre-School program (3A & 3B rooms)... Emmie is in 3B but visits the Pre-K room alot (because of her birthday being in December she has had to stay in 3B longer than normal)...

Jackson is in room 2B right now and in the process of potty training at school.

I love love love their school - they learn so much - they have circle time, reading time, learning time, etc... they don't just play all day... They learn Spanish as well.

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

May 6th, 2013, 08:34 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Wow! So many going to preschool already!! I am in the vast majority, he isn't going to preschool!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
They JUST moved the deadline back here in Michigan...to Sept 1...and it begins the year that the Sept 2010 kids start kindergarten.

You can still get your kid in early if you write a letter telling them that your child is gifted. Which 95% of the population will still do. There is no testing, just motherly love. If YOU think your child is perfect, then clearly they belong in kindergarten. (That's the teacher in me being sarcastic.)

I was going to send her to preschool...but with the cutoff, the fact that our daycare lady would have to take her, the expense, and the fact that the daycare lady teaches her (and is preschool certified), Jessica is academically ahead. I think one year of preschool will be fine. Also, she won't crap on the potty. As long as she plays the control card, she can't go off into public for long periods of time. I must outwit her before she is 4 =)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search