random breastfeeding questions

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok for the moms on this board that have breastfed please help me! LOL. I did not make it with drake and i am trying so hard to with Marek.

I am just kind of confused. I am a type A personality and I know that does not work with bf'ing.

At the moment Marek could chew my boobs off b/c he could nurse ALL day long if i let him. So i understand that on demand feeding is the best but it does not make sense to me when he has just gone through 30 minutes of nursing gets set down and then starts rooting right away again?

Also we are still sleeping together on the couch but I am just so not feeling ok with it b/c he is laying on his stomach so that scares me and then there is the whole i am not comfortable thing. I also miss DH

I tried to start a routine last night, bathed him, fed him (from both sides to make sure he was full) rocked him and listened to lullabies. Laid him down and 5 minutes later he is screaming and acting like he is starving. Let me add my milk supply is fine and he naps in his rock n play during the day just fine.

any suggestions or motivation? I did post on the bf''ing board as well but i know you guys so thought i would try here as well.

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
April 12th, 2013, 06:56 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
It sounds fairly normal. They have several spurts of cluster feedings, where it seems like all you are doing is letting the (.)(.) hang out to feed. I swear, Kensley was attached 24-7 sometimes. It was insane. This is when they're growing most, so they do need those times of incessant feedings.

I've always let them dictate when to eat. It's not easy. Schedules would have been nicer, but that's how I did it. They all fed very well and the cluster feedings don't last forever.

((HUGS)) you are doing it all right! Hang in there!
Mom2#1Drakester likes this.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
How old is Marek now? It could be a growth spurt, or it could just be the way he likes to eat. For about the first 6 weeks, Max could have eaten all day, every day and been happy. After that, he slowly started to get into a rythym and by 3 months he was getting pretty good about going a couple hours between daytime feedings. Give it time, for sure I've heard and read many times that the first 3-4 months of BFing are HARD, no matter how well baby nurses or how many babies you have nursed. It's that time frame. His stomach is still so small that even if he fills it up, it empties quickly. When he nurses, does he swallow the whole time? You can usually see/hear them swallow vs. just suck. He may go between eating and sucking, which may make it seem like he's getting more and nursing for longer than he is. Also, make sure he totally drains one side before you switch. If he isn't unlatching on his own, and is still swallowing, keep him on the same side. He's getting the hind milk, and that's the fatty milk that will keep him full longer. If he is no longer swallowing and/or unatches on his own, but is still hungry, offer the second side. If you switch too soon, he's getting too much fore milk, which is great for quenching thirst, but not as fatty and filling as hind milk.

As far as sleeping, it's so hard! Max wanted to be right on my chest for the first 4 weeks or so of his life. Then he just decided one night that he wanted to be swaddled and put into his crib and away we went! If he's doing well in the RNP, maybe try having him sleep there at night. Would your DH agree to a side car crib so he's right next to you, but still separate? Have you tried swaddling him? What is the temperature of his room? Lighting? It may be too cool or too light in his room.

April 12th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like he wants mama close by at night. Mine we usually pretty independent sleepers (they like to sleep like me) but had their moments where only mama being close would do.

Ditto to Amy about make sure he truly nursing/swallowing vs just sucking/using you as a pacifier. Have you tried giving him a paci to see if that would tide him over for bit/let him fall asleep to that?
AtomicMama likes this.
April 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
yeah i tried swaddling but he just kept breaking it now matter how tight i got it.
the minute i lay him down he just starts crying.

I am not good at telling on the swallowing stuff yet. When he is really hungry it is super obvious he is swallowing. then after a while it turns into a few sucks then a pause and then a few sucks so i figure that is when i am just a pacifier.

April 12th, 2013, 01:28 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Did the swaddling seem to help? Maybe try one of the Summer's Eve swaddlers that you just velcro closed. I always had a lot more luck with those for Max than swaddling him with a swaddle blanket.

I really like Kris's suggestion of trying a paci. It does sound like he might be comfort nursing more than just eating. A paci might help him sleep better

April 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
i think i will try one of those swaddlers. I used to have one w/ Drake and liked it.

i am trying a paci but he has not liked it thus far i was nursing a few minutes agi but he was just lightly sucking. i doubt he was getting much so i took him off which they say dont do but i honestly did feel like a comfort tool.

April 13th, 2013, 08:12 AM
So basically he seems full and just fine and then i lay him in his rock n play and all he** breaks loose. Then he starts rooting and acting like he is starving, screaming etc. If i put him on my boob it is all fine. even if he just suckles. I just figure that is not the best way to raise him treating me like a pacifier but what the heck do i do about the screaming if he refuses a paci?

April 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
None of my kids took paci's. I was it. I just went with it. It's rough sometimes, but it doesn't last forever.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, that's hard Amy! I try not to be a pacifier to them, but I know it works for some people. He's only a month or so old, right? What if you hold him, but don't nurse when he starts to fuss? Or what about some kind of wrap to keep him close to you? Or what about going out for a walk to get him to sleep? Fresh air is great for babies!
April 15th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I think i get nervous b/c it is so hard for me to understand how he can eat on both sides and keep making the rooting signs and crying right after. ARGHHH! I was crying last night I was so stressed.
I did by a moby today and once i figure out how to use it i will try that. Kris I sooooo do not want to be a pacifier but it is like he just wont stop unless i go there. I wish we could walk around here but we live on a busy street and also i am not fond of the neighborhood.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search