Taking your husband's last name

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By karenwalter

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM
megpie
Do you know anyone that's done it the other way and the husband has taken the woman's last name when they got married?
April 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope. I heard a friend of a friend has. I kept my last name and I've been trying to convince DH to take my last name for years but he won't because he doesn't want to do all the paperwork.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

April 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No. I have friends who kept their own last names, but I don't know and men who took their wife's name.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, but I know people who have hyphenated so the man has part of the woman's last name.
MIL2lissy8 likes this.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

April 14th, 2013, 10:19 AM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
Nope!
April 14th, 2013, 10:31 AM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
That just seems so odd to me. But no, I don't know anyone.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
April 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM
megpie
I know two ppl who have done that (the dh took the female's last name) and I know a couple the ditched BOTH of their last names when they got married and created a NEW last name that had meaning to both of them-----is that even legal???
April 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
MIL2lissy8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i also know a couple that hyphenated both their last names upon marriage. their new baby girl has the same hyphenated last name.

~~terre~~
April 14th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Meg, it's totally legal. In Canada both spouses would have to go through a legal name change process. In our province it costs about $250 (or at least it used to). In fact, a name change due to marriage is only free if one spouse takes another's actual last name. You have to pay for a legal name change for a hyphenated name too.
DH's last name sounds ridiculous with my first name plus his last name is from his mom's 2nd husband - not his biological father (husband #1) or the man I know to be the grandfather to my children who is husband #3. Before we were married, I suggested that DH change to his mother's maiden name which was his grandfather's last name and his grandfather was probably more of a father to him than any of his mom's husbands. This way I could change my last name to that name for free. He didn't feel like doing it so I kept my last name. Both kids have my last name as well because I'm that kind of girl.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

April 15th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ My name technically hasn't changed. I changed it on my drivers license (before they changed the laws here that required the SS change before the ID change)...but i still havent changed it on my social security card. so i still file taxes and everything in my maiden name.

....but he would have had an aneurysm if i tried to give the kids my last name.

and nope. I've never heard of a man taking his wife's last name. and i've never heard of a couple hyphenating both of their last names. Most everyone i know just drops their middle name and replaces it with their maiden name.
April 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope. We don't traditionally even take our husband's last name.
April 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
^^ My name technically hasn't changed. I changed it on my drivers license (before they changed the laws here that required the SS change before the ID change)...but i still havent changed it on my social security card. so i still file taxes and everything in my maiden name.

....but he would have had an aneurysm if i tried to give the kids my last name.

and nope. I've never heard of a man taking his wife's last name. and i've never heard of a couple hyphenating both of their last names. Most everyone i know just drops their middle name and replaces it with their maiden name.
Yeah, DH wasn't pleased but Daryn already had my last name because we weren't together when she was born so it was easier for me because of daycare, school, doctor, etc that she had my last name and he agreed. Then when Eli came along initially DH wanted him to have his last name and I said, no, I wanted him to have the same last name as his sister. Plus, DH isn't a very traditional kind of guy which is great for me because I am not a traditional kind of girl.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search