Eating - help.

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RobinJS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone have any tips for getting your LO to eat? Major basically refuses dinner almost every night and is then complaining at 7 or 7:30 pm that he's hungry. And by that time, it's bath time or he's had a bath and I don't wanna feed him. But I don't like the idea of him going to bed hungry, although he probably does often because I'm not gonna fix him a meal or let him snack right before bed. I almost always cook us dinners that he likes and I don't want to punish him for not eating. I just want him to eat at an appropriate time.

Any ideas? I've tried bribing.

Major
May 1st, 2013, 07:16 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IDK how to make your kids hungry at a particular time but maybe check with your daycare and find out how much he's eating during afternoon snack if they give him one. Maybe they can lighten up his snack a little?
Can you put his dinner plate in the fridge if he doesn't eat it and then bring it out if he asks for food later in the evening? I used to have a similar problem with Daryn when she was about 4 where she would eat a tiny amount for dinner, announce she is full and then ask for a snack right before bed. In her case she was just holding out for a yummy snack. When I started giving her dinner back to her right before bed, she quit that pretty quick.
Amazona and gina! like this.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

May 2nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
gina!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Robin has great ideas---we actually did have to ask daycare to give Chase a much smaller afternoon snack last year. And when my kids say they are hungry after not eating much dinner, I always offer the leftovers or carrots. They usually decide they aren't really hungry then.....
May 2nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Trey has suddenly started the same deal! its not every night...but close to it. If he REALLY likes what we're having (like last night's - Pizza or any kind of Rice) he'll eat it, with no complaints. But if its something that he only "kind of" likes...he tries to tell me he's full or not hungry...and then asks for a snack before bed. he knows that i typically give him a couple mini muffins, fruit or something better than whatever we had for dinner. I need to stop that, and do what Robin said & offer him leftovers when he says he's hungry.

But you know, theres a reason i give mini muffins or cantaloupe slices - they're small and not messy. I hate the thought of him being all bathed and ready for bed...and then sitting down and eating dinner. Its just more work for me.
May 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What time are you offering him dinner? I find that when I have dinner ready as soon as we get home, J is less likely to eat all her food...so I try to set the table for 5:30-6pm and by then she's hungry enough to eat a good portion.
May 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We struggle with this, too. Occasionally she'll eat well at dinner, but often she won't, and then she'll want to snack later. I have no advice

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search