Referral to a Perinatologist

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM
sblades19's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have my appointment next Tuesday with a perinatologist to discuss our genetic worries. I am both nervous and a little excited. I have been reading up on what a perinatologist is and they are basically Super Hero OBs. They have extra training and schooling and such. They have high training in u/s technology and amniocentisis and cordocentesis. They usually care for patients whose baby's have genetic abnormalities and mommies of multiples. High risk docs. Anyway, I am nervous bc I want this baby to be perfect. I know it is too soon to do anything. I think we are just seeing what can be done. But I am a little excited bc I am hoping I will get an ultrasound. Is that bad?

Oh well anyway, anyone ever seen one before? What should I expect at my first appointment?

Thanks!

Special thank you to Graysmama for my awesome siggy!

July 1st, 2010, 07:21 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw one with my last pregnancy. I had a low-lying placenta that they had to monitor thoughout my pregnancy to make sure it wouldn't turn into a case of placenta previa come delivery time (it resolved itself fine, btw). I saw them three times: twice to check the position of the placenta by U/S and once when I was 8 days overdue for a NST to make sure DD was doing okay. My appts were pretty much like a standard OB appt, just with a fancier U/S machine and lots of baby heart monitors. My perinatalogist was great! I can't wait to hear how your appt goes! Yay for U/S!!!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; July 1st, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
July 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
I saw one when I was pregnant with DD due to a stroke at 18 weeks. I had blood work and got 4D ultrasounds both times I went before they released me to go back to my regular OB. I remember the ultrasounds taking a really long time but other than that it wasn't any different from a normal OB visit.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

July 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Ha! I am only hoping cause I don't wanna have to wait til 20 weeks to see my baby! I wanna know he or she is in there and thriving! You know?

I had placenta previa with my last pregnancy also. DD's placenta wasn't covering my cervix but it was touching it. Well it finally moved itself around 20 weeks and about scared me to death. I had bright red bleeding and we went straight to the ER only for the nurse to scare me again bc she couldn't find a heart beat! BUt finally the ***** of an OB on call came in and found it...told me I was being hysterical btw and I wanted to punch her in the face. But all it was was the placenta moving away from my cervix. Shew!

July 1st, 2010, 08:04 PM
martilynne's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*lurking from dec ddc*

I saw a perinatologist during my last pregnancy since they suspected trisomy 18. The u/s equipment at his office was AMAZING, the screen I was looking at was at least a 60 in plasma and so clear. I had CVS done so I guess they needed a really clear picture so they didn't poke the baby with the needle. I would've had my level 2 anatomy scan at 16 weeks but our baby did have t18 and we lost her before that appointment.

July 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM
I am really sorry to hear that. :/ I was just lurking in your ddc so it is fair!

What we are concerned with isn't exactly life threatening but it isn't wonderful either. And even if the baby is effected, we are going have him or her anyway. Our daughter has just gone through alot of testing. So, maybe this one test will be all that is needed.

November 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Can anyone give me the name of a perinatologist in the area??
December 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM
threegstyle+1's Avatar Veteran
sblades,
When is your EDD? Nice to know I'm not the only one that is from this playroom that is also expecting (again). Any reason why you're looking to see a perinatologist this time around? I may have missed it below and just not realized it. Either way, good luck KUP.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search