Random Grocery Question!!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The lunch post made me think! How often do you grocery shop? How much do you normally spend for your family? Do you eat out a lot?

When I am pregnant DH does the BIG trip to the grocery store every pay day (2 weeks)! I always do a smaller trip on the weeks in between so we normally end up going once a week.

I spend about 450.00 a month on groceries, which includes health and beauty stuff and diapers. That seems kinda high to me for two adults and a toddler!

We eat out one dinner at a decent restaurant like Olive Garden or Longhorn once a pay and then we have a small bit of budget to eat out another time normally pizza or something!
July 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Crystal713's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Crystal713
I try to get to the store once a week for milk/bread/produce but sometimes its more like a week and a half or a quick trip to the dollar store. I hate grocery shopping! I spend about 300 a month on groceries only. We were eating out about twice a week but we are trying to cut back and save money for baby shopping so I would say now its more like once every 2 weeks.

July 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
MandiK's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Among the trees and stars, the drum beat never fades ...
Send a message via AIM to MandiK
I shop weekly ... or I did before I was pregnant. Ha. I just went for the first time since the beginning of June yesterday. There were a couple produce/milk stops in between, but no major shopping. We budget $350 for 5 adults including all grocery and health/beauty.
July 1st, 2010, 10:20 PM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
I shop weekly (or one of us does...I haven't much since my BFP lol) and it also includes all our extras like shampoo, soap, toilet paper, etc. Keep in mind we are feeding 8 people (two of which are teenagers lol). We usually spend around $200/week on groceries, so about $800-ish/month on average with a few in between trips here and there for milk and fruit (we go through fruit so fast). We eat out a 1-2/week (pizza, McD's, fastfood) and a decent restaurant once or twice a month, usually after church on Sunday.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

July 2nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Is it sad that I haven't a clue??? Our trips tend to run from $50 to $70. Once in a while we get $100+ trips. Those tend to be the ones where we stock up on meat. I do make a special run to one particular store due to his food allergies and those trips are at least $70 for him alone. This much I do know.

Here's the thing: we don't shop on a regular basis. Which is why it's hard to say what we spend per month. Sometimes it's once every two weeks or three or even four. Then of course there will be these weeks where there are great sales and I'll go twice in one week.

We get pizza once a week - it's just too easy with the pizzeria being across the street. We go out to eat once in a while, maybe once every other month.

Oh, this is for 2 adults and 3 kids.

Jenn

Last edited by Tweetybabies; July 2nd, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
July 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I spend around 500ish a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. I think todays trip will be expensive though b/c I'm buying all the food for this weekend, including 3 slabs of babyback ribs, shrimp and the fixins' I try to only go every 2 weeks, but usually need a quick trip in between to get milk, bread, and fruit.
July 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
lillermom99's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our budget is $350 which includes cleaning supplies, food, health and beauty and diapers. This is for two adults and a toddler.

We use an envelope budgeting system for groceries so that its all cash and same for eating out. Our budget is set at $30 a month for eating out but sadly sticking to either budget during this first part of pregnancy have proven nearly impossible given my hatred of shopping and preparing food!

My stockpile of food has dwindled and my motivation to find sales is all but gone! I try to stock up when there is a good sale on diapers and wipes and food items. Sadly my diaper and wipe stockpile is non existent and we are buying as needed which is expensive!

July 2nd, 2010, 06:26 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
I go grocery shopping once a week and I spend about $50-60 for my family of 5. Approximately $200-250 a month. This includes all Walmart/Target-type things, like diapers, TP, laundry detergent, etc. I am very big into couponing so that's how I keep it so low. We practically never eat out so that helps too.

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

July 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikajo View Post
I go grocery shopping once a week and I spend about $50-60 for my family of 5. Approximately $200-250 a month. This includes all Walmart/Target-type things, like diapers, TP, laundry detergent, etc. I am very big into couponing so that's how I keep it so low. We practically never eat out so that helps too.
I am AMAZED!!! I want to spend 250 on groceries a month but I am nearly double that I try to get into couponing. I use then for everything I possibly can, but it never seems to save me that much! Do you shop at local store that doubles or Super Walmart?
July 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Miracle BabyBlessing's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, DH shops (I make the list) but he never just buys what is on the list just like some little kid with a sweet tooth and then during the week since been pregnant, I sometimes feel so icky in the afternoon (when my m/s really hits) that he just buys dinner (whatever one thing sounds okay to me) instead of making something that no longer sounds good. I used to make up weekly menus and stick to them and would really like to get back to that as cheaper and healthier! We usually spend about $300-400 a month probably on groceries, but if you count other stops it is more.

Welcome to our Baby Girl Born January 19th, 2011!!!

(07/04, 02/06, 08/07, 12/07, 01/08, 09/09, 03/10)
July 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
Jeriah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually shop once every two weeks. I might make some small runs inbetween for milk/bread. We try to hit meat sales or local IGA has a meat sale once a month and you can get a 40lb box of chicken leg quarters for $15. We eat a lot of chicken. lol. I would say that I usually spend around 400 a month on a family of 4. Except for when I am stocking up on meat(once a month) I can usually get out of the store for around $70. This $400 also includes any family/friend gatherings that we have which is about once or twice a month.

We really don't eat out much maybe once a month to a nice place and usually during lunch since its cheaper that way.

EXPECTING Nathan Morgan January 8th

Mason Lee April 21, 2009
Cameron Bazil May 28, 2007
Jeriah and Bradley May 31, 2003
July 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
This reminds me of my favorite cookbooks/books. There's a great book an adoptive mom friend of mine wrote with tips on saving money on grocery shopping called Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn. It has a lot of great recipes in it. She has 10 children (7 are adopted) but the book is geared toward a regular sized family..most recipes feed 4-6. Here's her blog. She includes a lot of recipes and tips on it. Owlhaven
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

July 2nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I cut my grocery bill in half over the past 2 years and still have more work to do.

I usually spend about $200 every 2 weeks with an odd trip to BJ's at about $100 for odds and ends.

This includes cat food and household items, diapers/pullups, etc

July 2nd, 2010, 07:46 AM
Erikajo's Avatar Mommy to 4 Blessings
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartersMommy View Post
I am AMAZED!!! I want to spend 250 on groceries a month but I am nearly double that I try to get into couponing. I use then for everything I possibly can, but it never seems to save me that much! Do you shop at local store that doubles or Super Walmart?
We don't have a Super Walmart nearby, but I shop around at a couple different grocery stores, depending on sales. One store does double coupons and I get a lot of things for free/super cheap there. They used to have fantastic sales where I'd get amazing deals like $600 worth of stuff for $10 (I'm NOT kidding!) but they cut back on that recently, which is disappointing, so it's not quite so good now. But generally I shop by stocking on with sales and then on an average week, I usually only need to buy perishables, like meat, bread, milk, produce, etc. And my family eats a lot of produce, so that takes up a bit chunk of our grocery bill.

Erika, mommy to 4 blessings -
Nathan (8), Emily (4), Joshua (22 months) and Luke (1.9.11)

My Blog - Musings From a SAHM

July 2nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Super Mommy
We spend about $400 a month on groceries and some months it's sometimes less if I go to the Kroger across town that doubles coupons up to and including $1. That's including everything we need like toilet paper, shampoo, etc. We don't buy diapers except a stray package here and there to have just in case, but it takes us like 3 months to go through a small package.

Lately since I haven't been feeling good DH has gone to the store and he will not use coupons, so I know we spend more those times. We do make small trips to get fresh produce every now and then, but we do a big trip about every 2 weeks.

We get pizza maybe once a week ($5 large's at Little Caesar's) and we eat at a nice place 2-3 times a month.

I'd like to cut down our grocery bill even more but I just can't seem to do so.

July 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
~Oh Baby!!~
we are about 650-700 a month and thats a lot, we are going to cut back, my thing is I shop every other day, I have never been good at the weekly shopping trip!? I need to learn how to put together a list of meals and then buy everything I need for them for the week! Hmmm....maybe I will try that this week! lol

Mommy to Mason 12 yrs Maxwell 2 yrs
& Milan born 12/24/10
July 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I shop once a week and spend about $400 a month. That includes cleaning products, beauity products and cat food. There are 3 of us including my 5 year old DD. I shop at 2 different grocery stores. I first go to Aldi and get everything I can there because they're really cheap on meat and produce. Then I go to Kroger and get everything else that Aldi doesn't carry.
July 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Ah man, grocery shopping. It is like a thorn in my side...if we didn't have to eat.

The kids and I (yes, I'm insane) grocery shop every two weeks. We usually have to make one touch-up trip per period for milk, bread, and produce too. How funny. On the regular trip we usually spend around $300 (and that includes cleaners, tp, paper towels, etc We cd and bf so that never includes diapers or formula either-and we hardly buy any meat either!). Eeps. I always want to pass out at the register. It used to drive Trupe crazy how much we spent. I started trying to watch the sales at 3 other grocery stores, and then I'd spend the whole week grocery shopping, plus all the gas from the trips, and I'd just be miserable. So Trupe said "Time is money, just go to Wal-mart and the health food store and spend what you have to". So we probably spend $600 on the two regular trips, plus anywhere from $20 to $60 each on two touch up trips. We eat pretty healthy, and we buy the more expensive stuff. We don't buy anything for regular use that had food coloring, high fructose corn syrup, or hydrogenated oil, so that makes all the food more expensive. I'm happy with the way we eat, so I'm ok with what we spend now. We also spend probably $80/mo at the health food store on vitamins and stuff, and then now we found our favorite mac n'cheese (Annie's brand original flavor) that we used to buy in OR at the health food store there, here at Target, so we get several boxes of that, Archer Farms tortilla chips and salsa, and a few other things there, so probably $20 every two weeks now.

I've thought about couponing, but the time spent on it...falls back into Trupe's "time is money" thing and he'd rather just spend the money than have me spend time couponing...not to mention I seriously cannot ever find coupons for most of the stuff we buy anyway. Like honestly.

When Trupe was in school when Trupie was a toddler, we spent no more than $50/week on food. We were on a to-the-penny budget. But we ate like crap...ramen, those crap freezer pizzas that I adore, pasta'roni, etc. Thankfully Trupie was still mostly nursing so he missed out on a lot of that junk food. We never got to eat out then, or for the next year after that...so we kind of eat out more than we should now. I guess we get our unhealthy food addiction fill on the weekends. We usually do McD's, BK, or Taco Time once, and then there is a local pizza buffet that we love. We probably spend between $20 and $40 a week on eating out.

So gosh, food for us is between $840 to $1000. YUCK!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
Super Mommy
I have a love/hate relationship with couponing. Haha. It does take a lot of time, it's rediculous. I do love the money we save though.

July 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Right! I save an average of 30% - about 70$ every trip, brining my total from 250 to 180.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search