Medication and pregnancy, is this true?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2010, 09:59 PM
CountryGirl1982's Avatar Loving my son!
Some of you have read my story, but for those who have not, let me tell you quickly.
For 11 years Ive taken 30mg of Paxil and a half of 0.25 xanax daily.
Is it true that its important NOT to take it the 1st trimester b/c thats when the lil 'bean' is growing into a baby?

Yes, I stopped both cold turkey on MOnday. Today is Thursday and I couldnt be more miserable. I have the shakes, spins, and even the lightest sound seems so loud. I don't want to be around anyone. Even the computer light is hurting my eyes.

I want to do whats best for me and baby.

My regular Dr is out of office. Her PA she hired is going to see me on Tuesday. But the on call Dr last night said "I'm a mother to two kids, and Id never take paxil while pregnant" Then another Dr said , keep taking it til you see your OB. Grr i wish my regular Dr was here!
I need to do as others have said already. RELAX, take DEEP BREATHS, and stay CALM!

I'm going tomorrow to get neasea medication. Ill tell them I feel this bad!
July 1st, 2010, 10:55 PM
Treece's Avatar Knocked Up!
First, you shouldn't ever cold turkey Xanax, even at that low dose... it can cause seizures. You should continue to take it and wait to have the doctor give you a taper schedule.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (which is extremely painful) and I typically take arthritis meds, steroids and pain meds. I've taken all for years. When I found out I was pregnant, I stopped the RA meds and steroids, but can't cold turkey the pain meds. The doctor put me on a taper schedule to get off of them in a slow and comfortable way. If I were to stop cold turkey, my body would definitely go through w/d's and that isn't safe for baby either. All of my doc's know the taper plan and the types of meds... and are very comfortable with the plan.

I really recommend talking to your doctor before you just stop cold turkey.

I hope you feel better and get some answers! GL!

July 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
I think i'm really paranoid about the paxil b/c i've read and seen so many horror stories of VERY unhealthy children, and most didnt make it, some were stillbirth, some had open heart surgery at 3 days old.
I'm going to call the Dr at 8am and let her know how I feel and see if we can do 'something' different.

I'm going to feel horrible everyday I take a paxil or xanax (
July 2nd, 2010, 05:41 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took Lexapro and my doctor told me to wean off it so (while preggo) I took 1/2 of a 10mg pill every other day for 2 weeks and I'e had no issues w/ being off it. Maybe the nausea is also a side effect as well. A few months ago I ran out of Lexapro and was so busy that I just forgot to refill it so I went 4 or 5 days with no pill, by the 5th day I was so nauseated and dizzy that I thought I was preggo. I kept taking test after test and it kept coming back negative. Once I got back on my pills the symptoms went away. So what I'm saying is talk to your doctor, cold turkey probably isn't a good way either

July 2nd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Tobi Bateman's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're never supposed to stop antidepressants cold turkey like that, you're always supposed to wean yourself off of them slowly. Otherwise you get all the nasty side effects.

I was on Celexa but when I found out I was pregnant, my regular doctor switched me to Zoloft because it's supposed to be one of the safest SSRI's for pregnancy but even then, there's still some risk in the 3rd trimester. I tried weaning myself off once, but started having bad anxiety attacks. I think I'm going to try again this weekend, though since it should be a pretty relaxing weekend.

July 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take ativan everyday and am weaning off, Quitting those cold turkey can cause seizures!

July 2nd, 2010, 06:48 AM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
I was taking ativan and lexapro when I found out I was pregnant. The ativan was prn so I just stopped taking it though I had been taking it every night for anxiety/panic attacks. The lexapro obviously for depression. My dr told me I could continue the lexapro and put me on buspar as a scheduled med. Then he informed me lexapro could affect the baby after 20 weeks so I said I wanted to ween off of it so thats what we did and then he increased the buspar for me. He said if I feel like I need something else we would try zoloft.

I agree with the past posters it is very unsafe to just stop taking it.

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

July 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
This is a topic in which I invest much interest!

I have been on antidepressants for about 10 years and can fully admit that I can not function without Effexor XR. When I was pregnant with angel baby #1, my psychiatrist told me to stop cold turkey and I did. The withdrawl was horrid. Cold sweats, nauseau, horrible nightmares...

This time around, the OB is insisting that I stay on my Effexor. It's very difficult to make decisions when you have two health care providers tell you two different things. While they're the ones with the education and background in drugs and how the body/brain works, it's still confusing.
July 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
dldavenport002's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1982 View Post
I think i'm really paranoid about the paxil b/c i've read and seen so many horror stories of VERY unhealthy children, and most didnt make it, some were stillbirth, some had open heart surgery at 3 days old.
I'm going to call the Dr at 8am and let her know how I feel and see if we can do 'something' different.

I'm going to feel horrible everyday I take a paxil or xanax (

Im very angry after reading this...
I will say this again...

First, you should never ever stop taking drugs like paxil or xanax abruptly.

Second, If you want to go off them, then wean yourself slowly over time.

Third, I have been on paxil for 13 years- have two very healthy daughters- ages 8 and 11. I also BF while taking paxil. I will also be on paxil throughout this pregnancy and breast feeding this one as well. I refuse to feel "guilty" because I want to be depression and panic attack-free. Whats better for my children? Me being a nutcase? or being the best mom that I can be?

And Fourth and probably most importantly- BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU GOOGLE. Know the source of the information your reading and the facts behind it- ALL the facts!! I would lay money on the fact that those pregnancies where women were taking paxil and had severe issues that there were many more factors affecting that outcome than just paxil. Maybe their family had a history of congenital heart conditions, maybe they smoked while pregnant, maybe they did other drugs, maybe just maybe they tried to quit cold turkey very early on and caused problems. The point here is- you can read posts and read "studies" and NOT get an accurate picture of the underlying problem.

July 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Regular
I am lurking from the Feb 2010 PG-- I hope you don't mind. I just wanted to say what some of the others have already said-- stopping the Paxil Cold Turkey is not a good idea. I was on it in College and will never take it again. I've stopped taking pills before cold turkey and not had problems so when I ran out of the Paxil I figured no big deal because I didn't want to take it anymore. I have never had a worse experience in my life. Not only did it scare me but it scared my family as well. It made me act and feel in ways I never had before so please don't just stop taking it.

Also throughout my pregnancy I was on Wellbutrin SR and Adderall. Doctors weaned me off the Adderall in the 3rd trimester. My daughter has some issues but they don't think that they are related to my medication. I had to do what was best for me and going off of my medications was not an option.
July 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM
here is my medication update from the dr today.
Since i've been off of the Paxil and Xanax for 5 days now, he does not think its a good idea to start taking either one again. He said i'm almost over the withdrawls and sometimes womens hormones replace so they don't need the same medication during pregnancy anyway.
He said even if he did give me something else, it would not be paxil under any circumstance. So why bother w/ ANOTHER medication?
He said to call Monday and let the office know how I was over the weekend, and if anything bad does happen they have someone on call.
Also he said he has not heard of anyone dieing or having a seizer from it. Another nurse there said if someone has seizures from it, they had to have been on a very high does for a long time.
Thank you to everyone for your post and concerns. We'll see what the weekend brings

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search