When is too much vomiting 'not safe'

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2010, 02:44 AM
CountryGirl1982's Avatar Loving my son!
Thats just it.. I don't know.
I cant for the life of me keep anything down.

Today I had a tiny bit of hamburger rice soup and some gingerale, and it came RIGHT back up.

An hour later I had some gingerale and saltines, they came RIGHT BACK up.

Right now I just had a popsicile and saltines, and I feel like i'm going to be sick.

How do you know when its too much? I'm not just vomiting either.. I get the HORRIBLE dry heaves so bad I can hardly talk my throat is so raw it hurts to swallow.
July 2nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went through spells like that w/ Hayden. I had an entire weekend where no matter what I ate it just came back up. If anything just remember to drink, drink, drink.

July 2nd, 2010, 08:53 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. Try to at least get some fluids down. With DD, I lost more than 25 pounds because I was so sick. I couldn't even think about food without vomiting. All I could do was try to eat whatever sounded good and hope it would stay down. One day I would be nothing but Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal the next nothing but gummi bears. Sometimes it would stay down, other times I wasn't so lucky.

Even though I was sick for nearly 5 months of my pregnancy (I didn't take any anti-nausea meds cause I'm kinda granola when it comes to that stuff ), DD was healthy, strong, and big (8 lbs 15 oz).

If you are concerned, I would see if you can get some anti-nausea meds to help you keep something down. That may help you to at least keep a little something in your tummy. Hang in there, hon! Hugs!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
July 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Lovin' Landon's Avatar I believe in Angels!
If you're having trouble keeping clear fluids down, please go talk to your doctor. That sounds like too much and you could get very dehydrated. I went through that with both pregnancies and was in the hospital for it this time. I had a fluid IV and am on Zophran now. I did lose a bunch of weight with the throwing up too.

July 2nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
dldavenport002's Avatar Super Mommy
Are you still messing with your medications? That could certainly cause dry heaves...get to a doctor ASAP!
July 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Ive talked to a lot of Doctors today. None of them have the same answers, neither do the pharmacies. One Dr Said, go head and cut the paxil in half and take that, one said Do not take paxil at all, one said Only take the xanax and no paxil, one said paxil causes birth defects, one said paxil doesnt harm the baby. I realy just dont know what to do at all. I dont have a regular dr. shes out til sept.

They told me this morning to start taking B6 and seeif that helps w/ the vomiting
July 2nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Alison81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Drink water and don't worry so much about eating. Eat when you feel like you can keep something down, otherwise it's not really important. Keeping fluids down is more important. I get m/s really bad, to the point where it is really hard to function. I just try to keep fluids in me. I only gained 9lbs my last pregnancy because I felt sick on and off the entire pregnancy. It was like heaven when she was born and I could eat without having an aversion to it, or feeling like I was going to puke.

Thank you AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my siggy!
July 2nd, 2010, 10:51 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i would say, if you are really dehydrated and not peeing at all, or throwing up blood....that's when i would worry! sorry you are feeling so sick. just try to take small sips of water if you can, but don;t force yourself.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
July 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Bellemom06's Avatar Mommy of two princesses
Send a message via AIM to Bellemom06
If you are getting dehydrated, that is when it is too much. Dehydration signs are dizziness, seeing spots, sunken in eyes, and you are throwing up bile instead of food/liquids. Caffeine helps your stomach settle, so you might try that..? I did and it has helped me tremendously.
July 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
when you can't keep down fluid and become dehydrated.
July 2nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
eating doesn't matter too much, it's hydration you have to be worried about. drink small amounts because the larger the amount, the more it will make you want to vomit. if you show any signs of dehydration call your doctor. some signs would be no urine in over 8 hours, a dry mouth, your skin will feel "saggy" and your eyes will look sunken. the urine is the first indicator, dry mouth next. If any of these signs come up let your doctor know. I do phone triage nursing on the side and I usually tell people to drink amounts of 1-2 tsp at a time but every 5 minutes, and if you use an oral rehydration solution like gatorade (use the G2 though, regular has too much sugar and can be bad for you), or even pedialyte to assure you're getting some electrolytes in there. This is just advice, not meant to take the place of your doctor's advice though. if you feel like you're vomiting too much definitely call your doctor's office right away, sometimes they can give you something to help out.

Thank you GraysMama for the beautiful siggy!
July 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks! Today I did well, didn't vomit once. however I didnt get to go to bed either I work nights 10pm to 6am. And when I got out of work I had to wait up til 8am to talk to the Dr's office about things, then they told me "we'll call you back" so I waited around for that call. Then I didnt think I should sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search