Mothers-in-law say the darnedest things

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mother-in-law told me today that "your face looks like it's filling out," and that "You look pregnant."

She meant it in a nice way, but I'm pretty sure 5.5 weeks is too early to blame a fatter face on being pregnant.
October 2nd, 2010, 11:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh boy! That sucks . Hang in there ! I hope she gets better!

October 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's really not bad. She wasn't trying to be mean, but it did sting a little.
October 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
haha she's funny. Although it may not seem funny at times lol Even if you know she has good intentions.
October 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
misfitinmn's Avatar little miss needs a nap
Send a message via AIM to misfitinmn
Sometimes when people say things like that it's like "was there a though process before that came out of your mouth?!??!" My favorite was when I was hugely pregnant with my son and clients at work would say "Have you had the baby yet?" Umm...yes, and then I stuffed a basketball down my shirt because I missed being so huge. What kind of question is that?!?!?!

many thanks to trish for this cutest of siggies!
October 3rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thats funny.

7/24/12
10/09/12
October 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man, MIL's are too funny. I hope to not even have to deal with my MIL's crap this pregnancy.

October 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Super Mommy
Awww.... I'm sure you look great! She is probably excited and thought telling you that you look pregnant would show her excitement or encouragement... It's so ridiculous what people say outloud, my husband will ask people "did your brain really just let your mouth say that?" he doesn't exactly hold back....... : )

On the opposite end I had people ask me with my last pregnancy if I was sure I was really pregnant or if the baby was growing ok because apparently I wasn't big enough for them! You can't win... too big ...too small...not carrying right...blah blah blah I'm actually hoping I get bigger with this one!!!!
October 3rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've already had to deal with some comments from my SO's mom...and she wasn't meaning them negatively but it struck a nerve with me anyway. It's like pregnancy makes people forget their manners or consideration for the mother's feelings. I'm trying my best to keep reminding myself she means well. I'm sure yours did too!

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search