Antibiotics anyone?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Regular
So Tuesday I went to the doctor with a sinus infection and what felt like an ear infection bad enough to rupture my ear drum (has happened twice in the last 3 years) only to be told there was nothing wrong with my ear and I had "trigeminal nueralgia" (compressed nerve between my face and brain) that gets increasingly worse over time and only treated with major pain meds. So I went home, wrapped my throbbing ear in frozen peas and cried my eyes out since I can't have pain meds for the next 9 months. Doc gave me amoxilicin for sinus infection, which is getting better.

Called in sick to school Wed and Thurs cuz too much pain to function and tonight I was so dizzy I couldn't walk without falling down. Back to urgent care, only to be told that I have a massive ear infection about to burst (which, duh- I called two days ago) and apparently no crazy facial nerve afterall. So now on Omnisef since amoxicilin dind't do anything for the ear and it got worse.

Two different urgent care doctors told me both those antibiotics are safe for the baby and better than having a raging infection take over mom's head, but I'm still totally freaked out. It's so early and everything important is happening like right now and I'm taking drugs. If anything were to happen, no matter the actual reason, I would feel so guilty...

Is/has anyone had a similar experience with antibiotics in the first trimester in which everyone lived happily ever after without growing a 3rd arm? I could use such a pep talk. Thank you!
October 8th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With DS I was on so much meds from first Trimester to when he was born, I was sooo scared. It's all ok. A dr won't prescribe you meds that can, could, or will hurt your baby.

Just remember to get as much rest as you can, and drink lots of fluids with the antibiotics. Also, you need to eat some yogurt. Antibiotics will rid your body of the good bacteria that you need to keep you regulated and healthy. Yogurt helps to replenish that.

Also, after you have the baby, have your allergies tested. I found out after DS was born that I developed severe allergies that caused horrific ear infections. I now have to take an allergy shot weekly to keep everything in check.

Good luck with the ear though, those things suck.
October 8th, 2010, 05:32 AM
~mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on antibiotics right now for pneumonia. Dr. told me the same thing about it being safe, even pulled out his pocket drug reference book to show me. I have the same worries/ concerns you do about all of the important growth happening now. BUT, infections if left untreated can cause death and that is obviously no good for our little beans so just keep your fingers crossed/pray whatever you do to give you comfort that baby will be unharmed.
I hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine the pain you are in without any meds. I had horrible chest pain from mine but wow I can't imagine a sinus and ear infection.
October 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I've had Amoxicillin in the first trimester before(infact I was on it when I was ovulating for this pregnancy). Everything turned out well with that pregnancy. Make sure you eat yogurt.

October 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
romasposa's Avatar Veteran
I was also on Amoxicillin in the first tri. My doc said he doesn't like to give antibio's to pg women but it was better than it turning into pneumonia. All was okay.

October 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just finished a course of Azithromycin for strep, a few days before I found out I was PG. It's a class B, (safe in PG) but I still am leary of taking anything esp. the first trimester. Hopefully it will be fine!

October 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Regular
Thanks girls. For whatever reason, that's much more reassuring to me than an actual Dr. telling me its safe when he's never known the worry of his own bun in the oven!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search