Does Anyone Else Cloth Diaper or Plan to?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2010, 07:31 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've been cloth diapering my daughter since she was about 3-4 months old and love it!

Wonder if anyone else CD's their kids or plans to?

If you do, what's your favorite style and brand?

Any tips or advice for newbies?

If you are a newbie, any questions?

October 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to The only brand I've really looked much at is the Gro Baby brand. I figure when I get a little further along I'll look more seriously into the different kinds.
October 8th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking about it but not really sure about it . I'm on the fence I guess . I always use Huggies and now they have the Natural ones , so if I use disposable ones I am gonna use those this time around .

October 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've been cloth diapering since DS was about 6 months. I will definitely be cloth diapering this baby too! It has saved us sooo much money!

If you do, what's your favorite style and brand? That's a hard one...I like katydid because they're slinder but they leak for us during nap time, I like Bumgenius, I like Grobaby/GroVia but they too leak for my son during nap time. We have some fuzzibunz that are good too and a happy heinys that I really like and can be stuffed ton. I usually just use prefold and covers though and once those are all used up I go for the pockets.

Any tips or advice for newbies? Don't buy a bunch of one brand right away, try a few different ones to find out what you like the best and what works the best for you and your little one. Also invest in the detergents specifically for cloth diapers or you'll be stripping your diapers a lot.

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

October 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a newbie to the idea, but I would be willing to consider it. I just don't know if its something I could handle. It seems very time consuming, but it also seems like it saves a lot of money.

How does it work?

October 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
I'm a newbie to the idea, but I would be willing to consider it. I just don't know if its something I could handle. It seems very time consuming, but it also seems like it saves a lot of money.

How does it work?
Honestly it can seem very overwhelming at first, but it really isn't time consuming at all. There are so many different types of cloth diapers, AIOs (All in Ones, meaning it's just like a disposable you just throw it in the wash instead of the trash) Pockets, (they have a padded insert that comes out of the water proof liner and you throw both the pieces in the wash) Fitteds (cute prints but not water proof so require a waterproof cover like a Thirsties or you can use fleece or wool for a cover), etc.

Like the PP I suggest buying one of a few kinds and seeing what fits best and what works best for you, you can always sell off the ones you don't like, there is a pretty good market out there for used diapers.

I have a regular plastic kitchen sized trash bin with a flip lid in my daughter's room and the dirty ones go right in there (if she has pooped I rinse them off with my diaper sprayer, it's like a sink sprayer hooked up to the toilet- you don't have to have one but it sure makes life easier). I do wash about twice a week, every 4 days or so. I use my regular washing machine. I can tell you about how to wash them if you want to know more!

October 8th, 2010, 08:22 AM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
We plan on trying the gDiapers w/ the disposable inserts... you can even flush them!

October 8th, 2010, 08:25 AM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I CD'd my youngest. I'm planning on doing it again this time, but it's been a long time... I just used prefold and wool covers last time... now there are all sorts of fancy AIO's and stuff that I never knew about last time! I'll have to do some research!

October 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use cloth right now for Halleigh and the twins. I will definitely use cloth for the new baby.

October 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
does anyone know if there is a website dedicated to cloth diapers? I would be interested if it's a huge cost saver...especially since I'll be a SAHM for a few months and DH is a teacher, everyone knows teachers are poor!!!

October 8th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know of a website, but the cloth diaper board here on JM is very informative.

October 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
sethsgirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree if you pop into the cloth diaper board on JM they will definitely have a lot of websites to share! I'm definitely getting a diaper sprayer before this baby is born. It is overwhelming at first but once you read up on it and start it really isn't that hard at all!

Colleen proud mommy to DS (8/2009), DS (6/2011), and DD (7/2013)

October 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would love to cloth diaper, but I am far too lazy. I hate laundry as it is, so I just don't think it would work for us.

October 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
We tried to CD DS, but his skin was soooooooo sensitive he got a chemical burn the very first time he pooped in one (from residual detergent.) We can only use Huggies Pure and Natural on him now.

October 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Jack is due 6.22.11!
I am considering the idea, especially now that I know about AIOs.

October 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mommy2AandM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We CD'd our daughter until age 1. Then, the BumGenius AIO's we had could not be stuffed full of enough of doublers to contain the urine the girl was producing! But, it wasn't long after that that she showed interest in the potty and I attribute that greatly to the CDs. We hoped to CD our next child too, but the velcro is not working very well on the ones we have. (And we're not buying a whole new set! We have about 30 BG's.) I may have someone redo the velcro when we get closer to time!

formerly screen name "Audrey's Mommy"
October 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM
PennyLane1121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to. I made some for Fox when he was little. I like the prefolds and covers for around the house during the day, and Bumgenius AIOs for going out. I am going to get more to add to the collection I have from Fox. I am so excited! However, no one but men that I know think it is a good idea. Everyone says I'm crazy and its too hard. Ha!!!

October 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love the idea and the diapers are super cute now, however ds broke out in horrible rashes when i cd'ed him and i'm so afraid of that with the new baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search