Finding a midwife

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How did you find your midwife or dr?

I am trying to find a birthing option that works for me. I have seen a midwife at my normal obgyn office but I really didnt like her. She told me I was fluffy, didnt seem to care if I was there or not and when I asked her nutrition questions it was apparent she had no idea what she was saying (telling me that 1300 calories if safe seems crazy when that is whats needed to lose 1.5lbs a week). So now I am in need of a new midwife. I called a birthing center in my area but its not covered by my insurance.

I am hoping/thinking of going the midwife route and avoid the hospital if possible. I want someone who I feel like will be there for my whole birth (since I am terrified).

Is it too early to make these decisions?
November 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Destiny
My midwife delivered my brother, so that's how I met her, and she is phenomenal. However, since it's not as cut out for you as it was for me I would suggest interviewing midwifes until you find one that you really trust and click with. I'd suggest starting now actually. Then you can start prenatal appointments at 3 months with the midwife you want to deliver.
Hope that helped!
November 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
I would definitely start looking for one. Is there anyway for you to access your information on a website and do a search for covered providers? That's what I had to do with mine. Good luck finding one that you like.

November 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
BrynnieM's Avatar Member
I was going to suggest the same as mommyto3plus1- try doing an Internet search. I don't know where you live or what midwife laws are like in your area, but there are two types of midwives: certified nurse midwives (went to nursing school and are typically the ones practicing in Dr. offices) and direct entry midwives (go straight into midwifery school without a nursing background). Don't write off the direct entry midwives! Most are just as talented, knowledgeable, and passionate as CNM's.

You mentioned wanting to avoid a hospital- are you wanting to go for a home birth? Some states have laws that don't allow direct entry midwives to provide home births.
(but, that doesn't mean they're not doing them! Just sayin'...)

Good luck! Keep us posted!
November 18th, 2010, 10:19 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
I chose my midwife because she is the woman who taught our birth class when I was pregnant with Haydon, and I just loved how passionate she was about certain things. She is pro-breast feeding, skin to skin, laboring in water, etc, etc... all the things that I want for this babies birth.

I would definatley start searching for midwifes (especially a midwife if you want someone to be there with you throughout your labor and birth). Try doing a search on birthing centers in your area and see if anything comes up. Some birth centers with websites will post pictures of their midwifes and tell a little about them! That is how I came across my midwife, I saw her pic on the website and was like "HEY! That's the lady who taught our birthing class!", lol.
November 18th, 2010, 10:30 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
I definitely think you're smart for looking for one right now... With my DS, I ended up switching doctors a couple times (the last time when I was 7 months), and had a horrible experience & ended up with a doctor I didn't like because it was too late to switch. I wished that I had started my search sooner. I think midwives are soooo much better, and wish that I had that option where I live! I would suggest to keep interviewing midwives til you find the one you love. Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search