"how far along are you?"

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So me and my friend were talking the other day, she is due 4 days before me. As of today she is 12 weeks pregnant, but she says she is 13 weeks pregnant because she's already completed her 12th week, and is now in to her 13th week. Me on the other hand, I won't say I'm 13 weeks until I am actually 13 weeks and 0 days.
The apps on my phone say I'm 12 weeks, but then it will also say I am 11 weeks 3 days. Wierd!

What do you guys say?

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
November 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never heard of anyone looking at the weeks that way before. I don't see how she could have 'completed' the 12th week if she's only 12 weeks as of today. Weird.

November 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's because at 12 weeks you are beginning the 13th week, the same as at zero days (or weeks) you are starting the first week, so after that first week, when you are one week along, you are actually starting the second week.

Not sure I explained it great... but I did my best.

But I personally wouldn't say it that way.
November 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You explained it well. To bad it doesn't work that way with doctors, lol.

November 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I'm 12 weeks 1 day today. Although I know I'm in my 13th week, as in I've gone 12 full weeks now + 1 day...I still just say 12 weeks.

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
November 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierasmom View Post
You explained it well. To bad it doesn't work that way with doctors, lol.
Yeah, really! By this system I was almost 42 weeks when DS was born.

I once had a friend try to convince me that even though everyone (in the history of man) always says a pregnancy is 9 months, it's really 10 months because it's 40 weeks. I guess it's just how you look at it.
November 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain-Belly Sneetch View Post
Yeah, really! By this system I was almost 42 weeks when DS was born.

I once had a friend try to convince me that even though everyone (in the history of man) always says a pregnancy is 9 months, it's really 10 months because it's 40 weeks. I guess it's just how you look at it.

That would be anyone's simple logic telling them that I suppose. They hear 9 months and then they hear 4 weeks, and they automatically do the math...4 weeks in month x 9 months of pregnancy = 36 weeks so 40 weeks would then be 10 months. They forget that the first couple of weeks don't really count as it's counted from the date of your last period.

Has your friend ever been pregnant? Not that that really counts for anything but most women who have know the system..I would think.

Formerly known as "mommynina"

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
November 18th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynina View Post
That would be anyone's simple logic telling them that I suppose. They hear 9 months and then they hear 4 weeks, and they automatically do the math...4 weeks in month x 9 months of pregnancy = 36 weeks so 40 weeks would then be 10 months. They forget that the first couple of weeks don't really count as it's counted from the date of your last period.

Has your friend ever been pregnant? Not that that really counts for anything but most women who have know the system..I would think.
Yes, she told me this when she was pregnant with her first. But it's also because 4 weeks is 28 days, and most months are longer than 28 days, so 40 full weeks still doesn't add up to 10 months. But she was adamant that everyone else had it wrong somehow, and that it's really 10 months.
November 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
depends on if they have had kids or not if they have kids then I say weeks..dont bother with the days. I just say..like if asked today I am 9 weeks.
If someone without kids or in general I say months. If I am 9 weeks I say I am in my 3rd month.
I've heard it both ways and my old ob used to say it like your friend..if you're 12+ whatever days you are 13 weeks...*shrug*

November 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend used to say that. It drove me crazy since I was 2 weeks further along than her. As for the 40 weeks = 10 months. It's not true. Typically when you think of a month you think 4 weeks, but you forget that 4*12=48. There are 52 weeks in a year which means that there are 4 months that have an additional week. With that being the case....When pregnant, you are typically pregnant for 3/4 of a year. So....yeah....Stupid I know, but when I worked I always looked forward to the months with 3 paychecks, lol.
November 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I am 10w2d today, so I would just tell people that I'm a little over 10 weeks. If I were to mention 11 weeks, it would be in the context of "I'm in my 11th week now." I think that is less confusing.

November 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ashl3y
I am 12w1d so I would just say 12 weeks. If someone happened to ask me when I was _w6d then I might say _ weeks tomorrow but that's about it.
November 18th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's an interesting way to ask your friend to get her to understand where you are coming from, ask her...How old are you? I myself am 29. I don't say I'm 30. I've completed 29 years, yes, and I'm in my 30th year, but I'm 29. You can't just jump forward just because you are one day over that number
November 18th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
9 weeks, 1 day today

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
November 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Amber_in_AZ's Avatar Super Mommy
Not that I agree with it but its the same concept as why we are in the 21st century in 2010 not the 20th. I agree with the birthday explanation
November 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I always say that I'm x weeks along. I don't change the week until I've finished the week. So right now I tell people I am 11 weeks. I won't say I'm 12 weeks until next Thursday (thursday is the day of the week my week changes). If someone asks me on a Wednesday I may say that tomorrow I will be x weeks, but that's about it).

November 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Angel_Maker
I say 3 months
November 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Jack is due 6.22.11!
No one knows about the baby yet to ask but I would say ''9 weeks''.

November 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never jump ahead. I will always say exactly how far along I am, because otherwise I feel like I am being deceitful. I don't know why I am that way, because it really wouldn't be deceitful to round up or down, but... IDK. I can't do it.

November 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Expecting Baby #1
12 weeks, 1 day

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search