Holiday baking?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm assuming that I'm not the only one who bakes cookies and bars to gift out for the holidays. What are you guys doing this year? I'm on bed rest but can still do some things, and have two helpers anyway so it doesn't fall all on me. Plus some of my favorite memories as a kid is pulling a chair up to the counter to help my mom bake and Ayla does the same thing.

This year we're doing:
Candy Cane cookies (did this last weekend, so much more work than I remembered.LOL)
Frosted and decorated Sugar cookies
Peanut Butter Balls
Lemon Bars (though I'm not sure how to pack them, they may need to be in a paper thing like a cupcake liner or something)
Oatmeal drop cookies that have pecans and tiny M&Ms in them.

One of us needs to hit the Dollar store to get tins before they're out, I've found you need to jump on them before they sell out and to not wait a week before Christmas to buy them.

I found the BEST sugar cookie recipe on All Recipes. Usually I don't like sugar cookies, every time I've ever had them they were dry and bland. Not this recipe, and the key is to roll the dough thicker and bake on parchment paper. Everyone loves my sugar cookies.
November 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We usually do the soft sugar cookies

What are the candy cane cookies..? I'm intrigued!

I know walmart has had the tins on sale lately, but that's here. I don't usually gift cookies. I do make the mason jar mixes and gift those sometimes though. Last year I did a scone mix for MIL/FIL.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM
My mom did the mason jar cookie mix one year and it was awesome. Those cookies were sooooo yummy.

Candy cane cookies are basically sugar cookies that you color the dough and roll them into candy cane shape. We did red, white and green dough, white meaning we didn't color it. You roll a scant teaspoon of dough into a ball, then into a rope, we did red and white and red and green. You twine them together into a candy cane. Kind of hard to work with until you get the hang of it, and very time consuming.
November 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do a lot of baking around the holidays (well, all year really). Some of the favorites in our family since I was a kid are: Russian tea cakes, soda cracker bars, butterscotch krispies, thumbprints and fudges.

December 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did get ingredients for fudge this year!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
December 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
You guys gonna share your recipes or what?
December 2nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Minilegs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I made these for my FIL for Christmas last year because he requested lemon cookies. I know they don't sound major traditional but, these were phenomenal! I made them with regular lemons not the Meyer lemons.

Ramblings Of A Wannabe Writer: Making Tuesday Tasty-Iced Lemon Cookies

This is a sugar cookie that my grandma always made. It's not the decorating kind although you could probably chill and try to form. They come out somewhat crumbly and the cream of tartar gives it a nice zing

Ramblings Of A Wannabe Writer: Making Tuesday Tasty-Sugar Cookies

Tags
feeding the pride

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search