Log In Sign Up

Delayed Cord clamping..


Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 9,268
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I think ive posted this one before but figured i would post it hear so it wont get lost!

Delayed Cord Clamping Should Be Standard Practice in Obstetrics Academic OB/GYN
__________________

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
jamieliz205's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 947
I heard about delayed cord clamping for the first time yesterday when filling out an online birth plan. That's so interesting. I just made a note to talk to my Midwife about it at my next appointment. Thanks for the info!
__________________
Jamie
Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 15th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,230
I wonder why his study is limited to preterm infants only? I mentioned this to my OB and she brought up an increased risk for jaundice (elevated billiruben levels) with delayed clamping and cutting. I need more research but this wouldn't suffice bc it's only about preterm infants.
__________________
Nicole

Reply With Quote
  #5  
January 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
Posts: 9,268
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
How would the benefits be any different in a full term?
__________________

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,262
My OB doesn't feel there are any benefits either. Basically said until the cord is clamped I won't get to hold her. Glad my baby is being held hostage Hopefully nothing comes up that would prevent my home birth...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_piggy View Post
My OB doesn't feel there are any benefits either. Basically said until the cord is clamped I won't get to hold her. Glad my baby is being held hostage Hopefully nothing comes up that would prevent my home birth...
I don't see why they would "hold your baby hostage" until the cord is clamped unless it is very short. The baby can easily be placed on your chest with the cord still attached. There are no benefits to the OB for delayed cord clamping because he has to sit there and wait for it to stop pulsing while he could be off doing something else. There are many benefits to waiting to clamp for the baby no matter what the age. It increases their iron stores (enough to last til 6-8 months) and their blood supply, they have less of a chance of being anemic.

Here is an article on delayed clamping that has nothing to do with premies:
Restricted Umbilical Cord Problems
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlinden View Post
I wonder why his study is limited to preterm infants only? I mentioned this to my OB and she brought up an increased risk for jaundice (elevated billiruben levels) with delayed clamping and cutting. I need more research but this wouldn't suffice bc it's only about preterm infants.
Here is another article about delayed clamping (no matter when baby is born) with links to the studies that were performed. This article address the issue of jaundice.

Cord Blood - Why Delaying Cord Clamping Benefits Your Baby

I guess the main point I am trying to make is to do your own research and decide for yourself, don't automatically listen to what Dr says. They aren't always right.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 22nd, 2011, 12:09 AM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGirl View Post
I don't see why they would "hold your baby hostage" until the cord is clamped unless it is very short. The baby can easily be placed on your chest with the cord still attached. There are no benefits to the OB for delayed cord clamping because he has to sit there and wait for it to stop pulsing while he could be off doing something else. There are many benefits to waiting to clamp for the baby no matter what the age. It increases their iron stores (enough to last til 6-8 months) and their blood supply, they have less of a chance of being anemic.

Here is an article on delayed clamping that has nothing to do with premies:
Restricted Umbilical Cord Problems
TY I totally believe in the benefits and am rather irked that my OB said she would hold my baby at the level she came out until the cord was clamped and cut and THEN I would be able to hold her. I'm not OK w/ this. I've seen so many home birth videos and read stories, and not one of them held their baby at vajajay level until the cord was clamped. I like my ob I really do, but at the end of the day she's a dr and I'm sure her convenience comes into play more than what I want. She's been pretty open to other things (like laboring and delivering on my hands and knees or a water birth) but still. I really wish I had a midwife who was more natural. Ok.. I'm done ranting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0