Need advice from women a lil farther along than myself

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Hi, I am from the July DDC. I was wondering if I could try to get some advice from ladies a lil farther along than myself.

I need some advice from fellow women who dont have desk jobs.

I work as an assistant teacher in a classroom for kids with severe disabilities. My job is hard and insane on a good day. Im lucky if I get to pee once during the day.

Since Ive become pregnant, its been hard... but doable. But today, I got hit with my first taste of morning sickness. I have been dry heaving literally all day... I am weak and dizzy and my stomach hurts like hell.

I dont know how I am going to work like this... Winter break is coming at a perfect time and I only have 6 days of school left before a long break... but even those 6 days sound like a lifetime right now.

So, how did you do it? How did you handle morning sickness and work? I feel like if I had a desk job it wouldnt be an issue, but this job is not conducive to being ill.

I would really appreciate hearing about your experiences... I am more than slightly stressed right now.

Last edited by SpankyMagoo; December 9th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
December 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
well as a stay at home mom...I HAVE to get up and I HAVE to do everything for my daughter who is two. Mommies dont get sick time. I have found the wonder of Unisom/b6 combo. The Unisom sleep tabs (Doxylamine succinate) and 50 mg of B6. That combo has saved me so much. I havnt thrown up once this pregnancy. Its all over the counter and all safe. (as long as you get the tabs and NOT the sleep gels).
I take the combo right before bed and its good all day..doesnt make me sleepy or anything. Also you could call your OB for some Zofran if you want something else.
But I found the unisom/b6 to work better..and its cheap and over the counter.
Hope you feel better soon!

December 9th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Laurenj915's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a Kindergarten teacher in a self contained autism class. I have seven 5 year old students with autism. It is exhausting on a normal day but now that I am pregnant it sometimes feels impossible to continue on with this line of work, so I understand.

My aid is really understanding about me running to the restroom multiple times a day. When I was going through IVF I would just call her name and run for the bathroom to throw up and she would just move into my seat at circle time and take over. My principal expressed concerns this week about me getting hurt by a student so recently, my aid also handles the children when they start getting violent. AND I did all the same for her when she was pregnant a few years ago.

You might have to sit down and talk to the classroom teacher. If she is not receptive (then she's kind of a jerk) maybe you could talk to administration about moving to a class that's less involved. I might cite safety reasons. In my school we have aids that work in the library, lunchroom and other classes.

You can PM me with any questions or specific concerns. I've been doing this for a while and have seen lots of teachers in our autism program go through pregnancy while continuing to teach. Good luck. Winter break is just around the corner!

December 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
futuremommy2011's Avatar Veteran
I know exactly how you feel! I am a preschool teacher with 20 kids and one other teacher. Morning sickness hit me about 7 weeks ago and hasn't let up yet. The only thing I can do is eat constantly (to make sure I never get hungry, which was what seems to make me the most sick) and take Zofran, which was prescribed to me by my doctor. Without the Zofran I dont think I would be able to make it through one hour of teaching... Good luck, I hope your morning sickness doesn't last as long as mine has!

Thank you JMC1988 for the awesome siggy!

December 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Savages_Wifey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Savages_Wifey Send a message via MSN to Savages_Wifey Send a message via Yahoo to Savages_Wifey
Im a sahm also with no option to "call In" LOL! I notice keeping a glass of ginerale and saltine crackers next to the bed and drinking/eating before i even get up helps a LOT! Try to also ask your dr for zofran it can work wonders!!!!

December 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
LisaG825's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a teacher and part-time aide. I have a different set of students every 30 minutes. I would usually run to the bathroom then. I threw up several times a day. Luckily the times I did get sick, I was on lunch duty and had other people around to watch the kids, was in a classroom with another teacher, or made it to my break if I was with a class by myself.

I found if I ate some hard candy it helped some. Jolly ranchers, peppermints, etc. You could also try preggy pops ? on spelling! It might be preggie

I also drive 2 hours a day total for work so I keep sacks in my car.

***I still get sick at work and home.***

Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Thank you Shortcake for my siggy!
Gabriel Matthew- Induced @15w4d on 12/16/09 (Partial Molar Pregnancy). Took 6 1/2 months reach negative after 3 methotrexate injections, D&C 2/19/10, & 6 rounds of chemo Act-d.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db5ff
Mommy loves you!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
"Now I lay you down to sleep,
I pray the Lord your soul to keep;
Within his arms he'll hold you tight,
My Heavenly Angel, My Guiding Light."
December 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
oh yeah! I second the jolly ranchers are awesome!!

December 10th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Super Mommy
Hang in there. I teach 4th grade and it was very difficult. I relied on our TA (we share him with 6 teachers) a lot! He didn't know I was pregnant. He must have just thought I was crazy. I just kept telling him the stomach flu is going around, LOL!
And know...I REALLY do have the stomach flu :/
Today is our last day before our break (we are year-round). I had to take the stinkin day off today because I've been throwing up :/
Anyways, don't worry about having to rely on other people. Hang in there.
December 10th, 2010, 06:28 AM
FyreMommy2B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Preggie pop drops (they contain ginger and you can find them at Babies R Us) always helped me out with a cold bottle of water or a glass of ice water.

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678

December 10th, 2010, 06:35 AM
LuvMyFurbabies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvMyFurbabies
I have used this electric stim wrist band for morning sickness called Prima Bella. It is a little expensive from my understanding. My midwife had a trial one that I have been using. It is amazing how it settles your stomach and takes it away. Hope this helps.

*Mommy to Brendan with Two Angels Above*
~Momma to 8 Furbabies (4 cats & 4 dogs)~

December 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Try the Unisom for the nausea- with the B6 if you can tolerate it...I can't take the B6 but the Unisom is enough for me. If you throw up spontaneously then get the zofran. Its not super great at controlling nausea, but it will keep you from actually throwing up-- the way it works is to control that center of the brain that controls the reflex to throw up. Unisom dulls the nausea feeling. So you can see how one might work better for some people and the other for others-- and some of us need both
Keeping food in your stomach is good advice as well- anything salty works well for me. Plain salted popcorn is one of my favorites!
December 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am an RN on a busy oncology floor who runs the entire shift, almost never gets a pee break let alone a meal break while working 13 hour shifts and I have a 17 month old... it is exhausting!! Fortunately I've been out on medical leave for the last few weeks so at least I am just taking care of my daughter.

I just deal with it as best I can, I would run to the bathroom and vomit several times a day at work while PG with DD, and did early in this PG too. I had hyperemesis gravidarium with DD so I was realllly sick for about 16 weeks, I took Zofran when it was absolutely terrible but it constipated me so mostly I just dealt with it as best I could. I remember driving to work in the dark at 5:30 am with a puke bag in my hands as I hung onto the steering wheel. Ugh!

The good news is it is usually temporary, with DD it lasted until 16 weeks but with this PG I am almost 13 weeks and it is mostly gone.

try keeping mints or sour hard candies in your pocket for sucking, ginger candy sometimes works, dry carbs like crackers, sip ginger ale or ginger tea with lemon, lemon water, and nibble all day long, I found with this PG that helped me more than anything.

Good luck and hopefully this will pass for you in a few weeks, esp. with your break coming up.

December 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Mommysbabybear's Avatar Veteran
Ginger root tea also if you go to the pharmacy they have the pressure point wrist bands

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search