Did you know???

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
So my mom saw on the news last night that they're just finding out that tuna has a lot higher mercury than origianally thought and now pregnant woman aren't suppose to eat it at all and children under 50 lbs shouldn't either. I had no idea and this really makes me sad cause I love love love Subway's tuna sandwiches...I actually just ate one yesterday! I know that we're not suppose to have some kinds of fish (which I'm ok with cause I don't really like fish) but I didn't know tuna was one of them! Boo!
December 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww well that figures... I really like tuna too! I was actually craving it a few weeks ago!

December 10th, 2010, 11:55 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
You can have fish while you're pregnant - just in limited amounts and not from local lakes. Most fish is okay to have though. Even some tuna is okay to have - don't beat yourself up for having a sandwich!

What Fish Can I Eat While Pregnant?

Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association

Quote:
Fish with Mercury: Fish that contain high levels of mercury should be avoided. Mercury consumed during pregnancy has been linked to developmental delays and brain damage. A sample of these types of fish include: shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish. Canned, chunk light tuna generally has a lower amount of mercury than other tuna, but still should only be eaten in moderation. Certain types of fish used in sushi should also be avoided due to high levels of mercury. Please see Mercury in Fish for specific types of fish and further information on how to calculate mercury levels.
So having a little bit of tuna is okay, just don't go hog wild i hope that puts your mind at ease a little bit!!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
December 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There was a big article in consumer reports about it. Women who are trying to have a baby or plan to try should only have like 4 oz a week. I was shocked by the article. I love tuna on salads but baby doesnt want salads AT ALL lately so I havent minded not eating it.

I do miss my sushi however!

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

December 10th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah there was a newstory about it a couple years ago and the newslady ate tuna everyday for a while and they took her mercury levels everyday. After a day it was ok, day 2 measuarble, day 3 higher, and so on...after a week or something her Dr told her that she was putting er health at risk and so she stopped.
December 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Are you kidding me!? I LOVE tuna! Crap! No more tuna and cheese chip dip for me then huh?
December 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
GKR3219's Avatar Rockin' Momma
Send a message via AIM to GKR3219
I actually just had a tune sand. from subway yesterday too!! It was the first time I had one from there and i loved it as well. I only eat it 1-2 times a month, so I'm not gonnafreak myself out about it too much.

Thank You, .t.e.r.r.a., for my Beautiful Siggy!!!!
December 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR3219 View Post
I actually just had a tune sand. from subway yesterday too!! It was the first time I had one from there and i loved it as well. I only eat it 1-2 times a month, so I'm not gonnafreak myself out about it too much.
Totally agree. I had one about once every two weeks when pregnant with my son and he turned out just fine
December 10th, 2010, 11:45 PM
sweetdreamer1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yes they say tune is really high in mercury levels..! but once in a while will not be a prob..! i ate tune sandwiches when i was pregoo last time..but it wasnt a regular thing.!!! and the white meat tuna is ok i guess..!

My BFP Chart
pregnancy/baby blog pw. 0000

December 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm what about fish oils in prenatal vitamins? I have gummi prenatals that use oil from tuna and some other small fish for the omega 3's. The bottle says that the levels in the vitamins have been tested. I wonder if they are safe? I hope so because I LOVE them!!

Avery. 4/11
December 11th, 2010, 01:21 PM
honeybee82's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate not eating tuna whenever I want...here lately tho I have to eat what I'm craving that moment or else I get sick and so if I want tuna I'm gonna eat it...I ate it when I was prego w my son and he turned out ok I just monitor how much I eat

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!

December 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
I ate a tuna sandwhich everyday for lunch for about 2 months straight once when I worked at Panera Bread about 3 years ago, LOL! I was trying to "diet" and it was the least calorie option, so I ate it everyday. I didn't go into a seizure or anything, but I hope I don't have permanent high levels of mercury flowing throughout my body because of it! Such an idiot!
December 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
taraks's Avatar Veteran
omg i'm so freaked out! I love tuna-just had it in my salad an hour ago actually! I'm going to stop eating any till my next appt and ask my doc to be safe...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search