100 Reasons not to have kids...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Childfreedom: The Top 100 Reasons Not to Have Kids (and Remain Childfree)

I totally stole this from the May DDC....but I couldn't help it. So, opinions please.

December 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
Okay, I made it to #25 before I started getting seriously ticked off. Whoever wrote this crap is one of the most selfish people I have ever seen. It's all about a me me me mentality and that is crap.

Depression is caused by children??? Really??? I don't know where that person gets their info but they need to go jump off a pier.

You remain interesting without children? Umm, okay. Whatever!!

You can buy all the expensive breakable stuff that you desire? Okay, so that means you are never going to have any children in your house. That is assuming people don't find you repulsive because you are such a snot and think children are the worse things on the planet.

Okay, I covered the ones I remember and now I'm even more ticked off.

December 26th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
For some people, the list is true. For others, it isn't. I understand where the author is coming from since I didn't want kids either, and I thought a lot of what is on that list would be true. Among my never-want-children friends, they see having kids as this dire, life-ending thing, and I'm sure they would nod along with that list.

Anyone who feels the list is true is much better off not having kids anyway. But I'm not going to judge anyone for it. Who cares what reasons people have for not wanting kids?

December 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
That is the saddest list I've ever read. I have nothing at all against people who choose to not have children but to assume all of those things about people who do have children is just sad and wrong. That person deserves to have a child just to see how wrong they are...but then I'd fear for all the breakables in their house

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
December 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Keepin' it real!
I am sorry this might sound bad, but I actually agree with the article, but perhaps that's because I HAVE children who are misbehaving so badly right now, I just want to throw in the towel!!!

However, I have children, so none of it matters. What matters now is when they sleep peacefully and you can stare at their little faces and memorize their beauty, when they say "I love you mom" for the first time, when they learn to write and give you a card with their handprints and they WRITE "I love you mom", or when I take each of my kids on their own little dates and tell them it's all a secret mission(no one can tell the other kids where they went) and while we're slurping ice cream or eating pancakes, I tell them "Don't tell the others, but you're my favorite" to each of them...and they all FEEL as if they are really the favorite! When you wanna beat 'em down for their fighting, but know that because you feel that way, they'll be strong kids and not get beaten up in school...when your son comes up to you and tells you for the first time that he has a bigger penis than his friend at school and you want to scream OMG! and laugh at the same time...when your daughter says "I have boobies" even when she doesn't, but insists you buy that nifty neon bra for her. When your kids are actually getting along nicely and they finally picked up their rooms without being asked---only for you to find out they are wanting something! When you find how easy it is to get your older child to change a poopy diaper in exchange for a piece of gum. When your babies ONLY want you and only you even when you are sicker than a dog and want to sleep, they want to crawl up to you and give you smoochies and hugs...they don't care that you look like death....that's love.

Yep, that's parenting and that's just a tiny little excerpt of it! These are the reasons I wanted to be a mom---even when I feel like walking away sometimes.

So, yes, the article is true....but I often wonder what people who have never had children are missing.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
December 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
this article made me spitting mad the further and further I read it...yet I couldn't stop. And yes, that list is true, but just think of everything they are missing, things like what the above poster has mentioned. The most important....that special bond that forms right after delivery when you see that little face and body who has been kicking you and causing you miseries during pregnancy...and looking at them and knowing that the world has endless possibilities for them. Yes, there are times I think life would be easier not having kids and we would have more money, more time together, be able to take vacations/date nights whenever.....but all that is so minute compared to how I feel when one of my kids comes up to me asking for a hug or kiss, or to read a book, etc.

Geez...I can tell I am pg....one minute I am ticked off....the next I am weepy thinking of all that is to come in July!

December 26th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't even read it, since we're all mothers here...it would do nothing but piss me off! To each their own, some people remain better to not have kids, ya know? It'd be selfish of them to just have kids because of society, even though they really aren't mentally fit to have a child. BUT - I think 100 reasons to not have kids is ridiculous. I could give them an endless list of reasons TO have kids. Eh, whatev.

They're the ones missing out .

Oh and depression caused by kids? Baby blues after labor is normal, but I have to say I have never felt such love and happiness since I had my son. Corny but SO true!

Mama to my little men Brendan and PJ

Brendan Collin 11/03/08
Peyton James 07/11/11
December 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually find this pretty funny. Reasons not to have kids?? LOL the sad thing is this poor author is probably unable to have children so they are trying to convince themselves its a good thing. I mean lets quote of some them here....

5. You are more likely to be an engaged and involved aunt or uncle because you are not jaded and worn down by your own kids.
9. Your house will be free of junky, plastic kindercrap.
21. You will minimize your carbon footprint and do far less damage to the environment than your childed peers
65. You never have to set foot in a Chuck E. Cheese
78. Packing for vacations and day trips will remain a breeze.

These are just a few that made me literally LOL

Oh whoever wrote this has no idea what life is about. But Im not mad about it. They sure shouldnt have children. Leave that to us who dont mind the noisy toys, New Years Eve in, dirty diapers and runny noses, and best of all... Chuck E Cheese. Now I'll go tend to my babies needs, and get along on minimum amounts of sleep while nausaus from this baby. And when the day is over I will Thank God for everyday I live this life with my beautiful wonder family. I'll kiss my babies goodnight. And we'll exchange I love yous that my childless peers would be endlessly jealous of.

December 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll admit, I chuckled a bit....I selected a few...more than a few actually....but they were pretty much all the same, just worded different.

Quote:
2. (Assuming you get married), you will have a happier marriage.
So wrong. Dh and I were definitely in love when we got married, and don't get me wrong, we still are...but, there have been times where it has become apparent that if we didn't have children, we wouldn't be together any longer. We've stuck through the rough patches because we've had reasons too. Now we are so happy and our marriage is much stronger because we have children together.

Quote:
7. You can fully pursue your educational goals.
Dh and I have been able to pursue every educational avenue we have wanted. I took classes this semester and plan on doing more this next semester, kids didn't get in the way.

Quote:
8. You can decorate your home as you wish with as many beautiful and/or breakable things as you wish and you will not have to child-proof your house
Okay, I have breakables everywhere, EVERYWHERE. I've decorated my house exactly how I wanted and somehow, even those tic tac toe games on my walls fit in perfectly. And if something breaks...Woo hoo! I get to go shopping for new stuff.

Quote:
9. Your house will be free of junky, plastic kindercrap

Made me laugh.

Quote:
10. Your spouse will get all the love and attention he/she deserves. You will come first in your spouse/partner's life.
We do get all the attention we deserve and more...we get it from our kids as well as eachother...we are doubly blessed in the attention department.

Quote:
11. Your pets will get all the love and attention they deserve.
We play with our pets everyday and they totally get loved.

Quote:
12. You can eat whatever foods you wish at whatever time of the day you wish out in the open, whether it be a gourmet, exotic meal, or chocolate chip cookies
I eat what I want when I want and the great thing about having kids, they stop me from eating all of it!

Quote:
14. Your home will be a quiet and welcoming oasis, instead of a chaotic zoo

So, I dropped my kids off at my sisters Thursday morning and by that evening, I was so bored and the quite was driving me nuts.

Quote:
20. You will retain your attention span.
I never had one to begin with!

Quote:
24. You will be able to travel more frequently and your travels will not be limited to summer or school break times, or to kid-friendly destinations.
We travel all the time, school or not. I just talk with the teacher and make sure we have all their homework to take with us. We went on vacation in Sept and Emelia and Ryen both missed school, all was fine.

Quote:
27. You will maintain the capacity to be spontaneous – to do things spur of the moment, without complex planning or babysitter arrangements
There's nothing we do that can't be done with children. I can't tell you how many spontaneous trips we take in a week, most of them just me and the kids. Movies, museums, parks....anything.

Quote:
30. You will be better able to retain your youthfulness and sex appeal because your body will not be ravaged by childbearing and a crappy diet.
You can have a crappy diet without having kids too, this one is baseless and a stretch by far.

Quote:
32. You can own whatever type of car you prefer – you are not limited to mini-vans, SUVs and other family-friendly gas-guzzlers
I LOVE my Suburban and would drive one with or without kids. I drove one in highschool and wanted one after.

Quote:
34. You can buy a much more affordable home because you won’t need many bedrooms and you won’t have to limit yourself to more expensive, uppercrusty-good-school-district-towns
We have a big house, yes, but we didn't buy it for the rooms, when it came down to it, we bought it to help my parents out. We have 7 bedrooms total and only use 3. If we had to, we could buy a 3 bedroom and be just fine. And as for the....Uppercrusty good school district...If it came down to that, I would homeschool.

Quote:
37. Your gasoline expenses will be much lower than a family with children (fewer shopping trips and errands, no chauffeuring).
Umm...but what about all your spontaneous trips and date nights and all that....talk about gas guzzlers.

Quote:
39. You will have the energy and interest to maintain an active, attentive and enjoyable sex life.
Totally enjoyable and dh LOVES pregnant sex.

Quote:
44. Every night can be “date night” if you want it to be
Everynight can be date night. Kids are in bed by 8pm and it's just me and DH doing whatever we please.

Quote:
48. You will spend far less time and effort on housework than families with children (the time and effort you will save on laundry alone is substantial).
It's not like a wash laundry by hand....the half a minute it takes to switch doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
57. The physical intimacy you share with your partner/spouse will remain romantic and will never have to be planned, scheduled, forced or manipulated like a science experiment for the sake of getting pregnant.
It doesn't get forced, it get interesting...."Hey Dear, we haven't tried this room and the kids are in the toy room...."

Quote:
65. You never have to set foot in a Chuck E. Cheese.
I hate Chuck E. Cheese and we don't go anyways. Plus, the nearest one is 3 hrs away.

Quote:
74. Holidays like Christmas can be affordable, manageable and relaxed if you choose.
Our Christmas was very affordable. We don't go overboard and never have. We spent $30 on each kid and they were very happy. The kids played and the hubby and I relaxed. It was great.

Quote:
77. You can beautify your property with gardens, waterfalls, trees and other natural features instead of stripping it bare for a play area, or junking it up with swing sets, sporting equipment and toys.
We do a lovely garden every year and what's great about it is the children help. They love to help Mommy make things grow. Waterfalls are tacky and they're mosquito breeders.

Quote:
81. You will never have to be embarrassed by a child who is a bad representation of you.
Bwahahahaha! This person must be horrible...no wonder they don't want kids!

Quote:
85. Going out for an errand will entail hopping into your car, buckling your seatbelt and leaving instead of a full half hour production to get the kids dressed, fed, ready and situated in the car.
I'm super awesome when it comes to getting out the door. We had to leave the other day and I had all kids ready in 5 minutes....5 MINUTES! And they were all in various stages of almost naked.

Quote:
89. New Years Eve will continue to be a rockin' late night blow-out affair for you.
I had a hard time staying up late before I had kids, nothing has changed there.

Quote:
93. Your neighbors will appreciate living next door to you
My neighbors are elderly and they LOVE to see my kids. They invite us over all the time.

Quote:
95. Your friends will appreciate your broad interests, your attentive listening and conversational skills, and the fact that you won't bore them to death talking endlessly about babies and childrearing

All my friends have kids...this isn't an issue.

Quote:
96. You will rarely get sick.
My Dh doesn't ever get sick...well, he got sick this year once and the last time he got sick was like....08.

Quote:
100. You will live a life of pride, knowing that you are courageous trailblazer!
Whoa! Dream big....

December 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
Kelsie, you crack me up. I wasn't even able to make it that far into the article before I was spitting nails. I seriously wanted to post a mcnasty on that blog telling them they are all idiots. One of the things I thought about though was, if they disagree with having children, would they have wanted their parents to be childless and them not exist? The way that blog talked was like people with children are less than those without. I think the people on that blog are just out of their minds with selfishness.

December 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
kelsie i put my response on fb

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
December 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
meghan.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can agree with a lot of stuff on that list, while other stuff that she posted is just posted to purposely make us angry. A lot of it, to me is accurate, and while they may be missing out on something we have, I believe I am missing out on something they have.
December 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad that I see parenthood completely different.

DD Brooklynn 8-4-01
DD Libby 6-18-04
DS Gavin 8-20-08
DS Carter born still 3-2-11 (20 weeks)
It's a GIRL!!! EDD 3-6-12

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Destiny
I would guess that this woman has a very me-centric lifestyle. Obviously she won't know how awesome it is to have kids, never having had them herself. She won't know how beautiful the little things are, and I can't help but feel a little sorry for her that she's missed out on one of the very best things life has to offer.
That being said, I don't think that having kids is for everyone, including some people that have kids. If you are the most important person in your universe then you will have a lot of trouble living the long periods of self-sacrifice that motherhood often requires.
Obviously she got a lot wrong on her list, she got a few things right, but overall she misses the fact that when a woman becomes a mother she also becomes a better person. And all the love that gets passed around makes everything worth all of the trials.
Gosh, I sound pregnant

December 26th, 2010, 10:40 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Haha Kelsie, you should post your response to her blog! She makes me want to vomit to be honest, she obviously feels bitter towards people who have kids, and was questioning her own lifestyle so she had to sit down and write down all the pros to her lifestyle. I hope it made her better, because she sounds pretty pathedic and selfish if you ask me. I love my kid, and I wouldn't change a thing about the way my life is!
December 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Super Mommy
Eh, if all those things are so important to someone then they probably shouldn't have kids. I firmly believe there are people who shouldn't and it's much better for everyone involved if they don't.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
December 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I'm honestly kind of shocked by the reactions this is getting. I would think that you guys would be glad that people like that do not have kids! We all know that list is ridiculous, either untrue, exaggerated, or irrelevant, so I don't get why people are getting up in arms over it.

Not everyone shares the same opinions, especially about something so life-changing as being a parent. And not everyone's experiences will be the same. Not everyone's marriage will become stronger by having children, not everyone will be able to maintain close relationships with childfree friends, not everyone will be able to travel as easily or enjoy everything they once enjoyed before children whenever they want. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

Also, not having kids does not necessarily mean someone is sad and bitter and needs to justify their existence. Sometimes, people just do not want kids. I was there not that long ago, and I honestly, truly felt that way. I wasn't jealous of people with kids, I didn't secretly yearn for parenthood, I didn't feel like my life was empty and meaningless. I think it's incredibly judgemental to assume that. And yes, I know the list is also judgemental, but I'm reading it as the author's personal reasons to not have kids, not the author saying that everyone with kids has a crappy marriage, no money, no time, no interests, no friends, and that she's looking down on those with kids.

If people can blog about how wonderful parenthood is, why can't others blog about how wonderful not being a parent is?

December 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think, what is most irritating about it, is this woman is calling us mothers mindless, jaded floozies when she's never experienced the joy that motherhood brings. How can she sit there and write this list when she knows nothing about it? It would be like me writing an article on biochemistry. I know what it's like to have no kids and I know what's it's like to have kids. I know the pros and cons and I could probably write and pretty accurate article on the subject. For someone who has never had children, she sure has a ****** outlook on how life could be.

December 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Go Kelsie, Go Kelsie, Go Kelsie LOL I agree...this woman obviously doesn't have children and probably never should.
December 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
jenn27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessw7 View Post
oh whoever wrote this has no idea what life is about. But im not mad about it. They sure shouldnt have children. Leave that to us who dont mind the noisy toys, new years eve in, dirty diapers and runny noses, and best of all... Chuck e cheese. Now i'll go tend to my babies needs, and get along on minimum amounts of sleep while nausaus from this baby. And when the day is over i will thank god for everyday i live this life with my beautiful wonder family. I'll kiss my babies goodnight. And we'll exchange i love yous that my childless peers would be endlessly jealous of.
amen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search