A glass of wine during pregnancy...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Leonara* View Post
I think beer actually helps milk production?? I think?
I'm pretty sure it does. I think it is the yeast. They also make alcohol tests strips to test your breastmilk if you plan to drink and want to check before giving to baby.
January 12th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Super Mommy
Im a wine drinker, but never been partial to red wine... I've only found one kind that I like, but I've made the decision not to drink while pregnant... I just dont want the "what if's" to set in... YIKES
Just my personal choice

January 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been totally grossed out by the thought of alcohol during pregnancy so I cant imagine I would even want to drink any (im also concerned with the affects) but is wine the only alcohol that is debatable? A shot, a glass of wine and a 12 ounce beer have similar levels of alcohol, but no one is talking about even considering the liquor or beer.

Avery. 4/11
January 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
LadyJ's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Quote:
I think beer actually helps milk production?? I think?
I totally giggled at this then thought 'does it?' hmmm lol

~Thank you Alethia for my Siggy~
January 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with those that believe it's a personal choice. Of course I would also wait until out of the first trimester to test this, but outside of that as long as it's in moderation!
January 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM
CherishC's Avatar Super Mommy
Even though I LOVE wine, I wouldn't drink it right now. I'll cook with it, make sure it burns off but thats about it and it will be on rare nights. And since I haven't drank in a few months that one glass of wine would make me tipsy.

January 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM
jbrezy's Avatar Jessi
Quote:
I think it's fine, lol. I wouldn't recommend hard liquor every now and then, but a SMALL glass of red wine every now and then isn't going to hurt your baby. I myself don't do it, because I don't really see a point. I LOVE wine, but I like to get a buzz, so that's definitely a NO while prego.

Exactly my thoughts... If I were to drink a glass of wine right now I would definitely get a buzz since I haven't drank in so long. If you feel it, your baby does too. In my opinion, SO not worth it. And btw I am a BIG drinker when I'm not pregnant

Thank you Tasha_mae for my amazing siggy!

January 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
heylittlefish's Avatar Veteran
I think its a personal choice also. I don't drink (im not really legally able too), but i probably wouldnt drink it right now.
January 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Super Mommy
I never was much of a drinker. Once in a blue moon I enjoy a glass of wine. Every once in a while I feel like it would be nice to have a half glass or something, but considering how rarely I drank before I was pregnant I think it has more to do with it being 'forbidden' than anything. I've relaxed on some things, like caffeine but I think I'll keep away from alcohol altogether during the pregnancy. Probably has something to do with the fact that I was a nanny for a young girl with FAS, though I'm sure her biomom had more than the occasional glass of wine. I haven't read enough research to feel comfortable having an opinion one way or the other about the risks of very light alcohol consumption.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
January 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Super Mommy
Before pregnant, I enjoyed a glass of red wine with dinner almost every evening. 1 glass each evening wasn't enough to get me drunk because I usually would continue sipping from the same glass after dinner. The health benefits of red wine have been studied thoroughly, but not so much while pregnant. With that said, I have had a glass of wine at Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners after my first trimester in each of my pregnancies without complications. My midwife actually suggested it with DD as a way to quiet my Braxton Hicks contractions. I don't miss it or crave it, so I don't plan to drink in this pregnancy, but if I were at a wedding or something and past my first trimester, I'd probably sip on a glass throughout the evening without concern...

January 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Summerthyme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really a big red wine fan so I don't even have to think about it Avoiding alcohol is not a tough one for me...sushi on the other hand...now that's tough!
January 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by little.lili View Post
And then while BF, you can't drink either right???
You can drink if you're breastfeeding. It just depends on how much you drink when it becomes a concern for the baby. If you go out and get really drunk, then you'll have to "pump and dump" until it's out of your system. But a drink or two won't hurt the baby. At least that's what I learned when I had to go to BF conferences for my old job!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search