Names names names

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Destiny
It seems like everyone's talking about it this week, but it looks like Lily Grace is our current top girls name, DH did say that nothing was going to be final until the baby is born though, after the Ruth/Eliana fiasco.

I did have a dream last night where I had my baby and everyone took her away and when I found her my sister was holding her and told me she had named her Tatiana Taylor. I yelled at her and told her what an awful name it was and that her name was already picked out and you can't name my baby. Weird dreams O_O

So we still need a boys name
DH likes Caleb and Joshua. Joshua is my little brother's name, so that's out except maybe as a middle name. I dislike Caleb because even though he was highly esteemed in the Bible I can't help but associate his name with the encouragement of war and mass murder, having encouraged the Israelites to attack Canaan, although Joshua did too, but I just think of my brother.
Also he's influenced by his mother here, because when I was pregnant with Ellie she dreamt we were having a boy named Caleb, and there's no reason to encourage people when they already have too much sway.
So he likes the more traditional names, I like more unusual names. We found a good mix with Lily, but I am coming up with nothing for boys names, so what can I suggest to my husband that he'll like, that I'll like? It's so much easier naming a girl.

January 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Veteran
I know. I am having the worst time with boys names. Maybe I'll have a girl and it won't be an issue

Whenever we suggest a name, one of us knew someone with that name and it never works. I told my mom this morning some boys names we liked and.........silence.......... hahaha apparently she wasn't a fan.

My husband suggested claude, baltizar and otis the other night to get under my skin. I may kick him out.
January 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol Otis...

I'm in a similar situation. I like more unusual names and my fiance likes more traditional ones. I think old fashioned names like Charlie work well for us because on one hand they are traditional but havent been super popular in awhile so they "feel" unique!

Avery. 4/11
January 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM
LadyJ's Avatar Beyond Blessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyEgg View Post
I know. I am having the worst time with boys names. Maybe I'll have a girl and it won't be an issue

Whenever we suggest a name, one of us knew someone with that name and it never works. I told my mom this morning some boys names we liked and.........silence.......... hahaha apparently she wasn't a fan.

My husband suggested claude, baltizar and otis the other night to get under my skin. I may kick him out.
baltizar! too funny .. and I'm the opposite it's the girl names we can't decide on
i have gotten the same silence on a few of my name choices too but my mother she has no problem saying "ewww that name is awful" I'm tempted to use the name outta spitel! (not really) haha!

~Thank you Alethia for my Siggy~
January 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
ahruska's Avatar Super Mommy
We can't seem to agree on any names right now either! I love Noah but it's popular now and dh doesn't love it. My new boy name is Cooper. It's different but still traditional. I'm not sure about girl names yet.

January 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Destiny
I try not to tell relatives our name considerations. It just makes it harder to pick names out when outside sources hate the names you love.
Of course my DH is a blabbermouth so everyone ends up knowing anyway.

January 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
.t.e.r.r.a.'s Avatar Proud to be a WAHM
Hmmm, boys names... Davin? it's kind of like Gavin, but with a D so it's not as popular. Umm... yah I'm not much help sorry! LOL

I think we've pretty much decided on Owen Asher for a boy, and then my new favorite girls name is one that I resurrected from my girls names list that I had when I was pregnant with Haydon... it's (drum roll) ..... Raina ... wdyt? I'm really liking this name, because I have yet to meet someone or hear of someone with this name, but it doesn't sound too bizarre either. I also love the meaning, it means "powerful" or "queen"... and just the spelling of it too, I LOVE rain. It's so relaxing and beautiful. Also my name is Terra which means "earth" so, I thought it would be kind of cool to name my daughter "Raina" to go along with my "earthy" name.
January 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
P.s. sorry, I kind of hi-jacked your thread! Your name Lily Grace is beautiful!
January 12th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by .t.e.r.r.a. View Post
Hmmm, boys names... Davin? it's kind of like Gavin, but with a D so it's not as popular. Umm... yah I'm not much help sorry! LOL

I think we've pretty much decided on Owen Asher for a boy, and then my new favorite girls name is one that I resurrected from my girls names list that I had when I was pregnant with Haydon... it's (drum roll) ..... Raina ... wdyt? I'm really liking this name, because I have yet to meet someone or hear of someone with this name, but it doesn't sound too bizarre either. I also love the meaning, it means "powerful" or "queen"... and just the spelling of it too, I LOVE rain. It's so relaxing and beautiful. Also my name is Terra which means "earth" so, I thought it would be kind of cool to name my daughter "Raina" to go along with my "earthy" name.
I love both of your names! We couldn't think of any boy names last pregnancy, so I have none to hijack.

I think it's really important to look into the meanings and stories behind names, it's good to see that I'm not the only one that looks into things.
Also, I'm pretty sure that I used the name Raina in a story I wrote when I was in 6th grade or whatnot. Which means I really like the name
You have marvelous taste.

(I don't mind my threads being hijacked, I'm glad you like the name )

January 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Aww thanks! That's good to hear, because I usually get wierd looks when I share my name ideas, lol. I'm always looking at the meanings of names, and how it sounds, and how it looks on paper, etc... It just has to be perfect, and something I will love forever, as I'm sure everyone thinks the same way.
January 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
angel_www23's Avatar Veteran
Not to rain down on the name Raina, its a very beautiful name love it BUT a friend from high school her 1 year old daughter has that name but its spelt differently

THANK YOU marriedc for the AMAZING siggy

January 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Super Mommy
I think Lily Grace is absolutely lovely! I think we've settled on our names...maybe. They turned out to be a lot more traditional than I would have thought, but I love them anyway. So far for a girl we have Mary Elizabeth and for a boy James Patrick. We have several Marys in both our families and my middle name is Marie, which is the French form so she'd almost be named after me in a way. I don't have any James or Patricks on my side but it's a very strong family name on his side and I love the way it sounds with our last name. Mary's not very common anymore and James is, but it's still out of the top 10 so that's good enough for me.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
January 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Sahoko's Avatar It's ANOTHER Boy!
That's friggin crazy cuz in 6th-ish grade I wrote a story with one of the character's names was Raina and she was also a queen.... I have since used the name in a variation for gaming purposes. Rainii, along with Aerii for a wind-like name. Idk I like double I's in names... Like I named my cat Esmii. I'm weird... hehe.
January 13th, 2011, 06:20 AM
casiecole's Avatar Regular
i think lily grace is a great name...i had considered lily too. but where im having trouble is with finding girl names

January 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Super Mommy
We cannot agree on boy names, it is so hard! The only name I like is Brayden, but I also like Gavin. The problem is we have so many boys in our families - all the names we like have been taken!

Thank you Misfitinmn for my signature!
January 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
mishymama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love the name Caleb, but DH adamantly hates it.

I love the name Raina, Terra, and the tie in with your name is really cool.
January 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .t.e.r.r.a. View Post
I LOVE the name Raina and have it on our list! I don't think DH is quite as much of a fan, but I absolutely adore it. We announced our pregnancy at a party and interestingly enough there was a couple there with a daughter named Raina, too... I have also seen it spelled Reina. Both are beautiful!
January 13th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahoko View Post
That's friggin crazy cuz in 6th-ish grade I wrote a story with one of the character's names was Raina and she was also a queen.... I have since used the name in a variation for gaming purposes. Rainii, along with Aerii for a wind-like name. Idk I like double I's in names... Like I named my cat Esmii. I'm weird... hehe.
That's cute! Maybe I should do a double something to match my name Raiina, Rainna, Rainnah.. I actually really like the name Aerii, but I have a 2nd cousin with the name Aera. It's very pretty.

You know whats funny too, is Haydon (my version spelled with an "o" not "e" at the end) means "fire"... so if we have a daughter and name her Raina, we would have 3 of the 4 elements! Tehe... Haydon's name meaning fire was just a coincidence too because he was supposed to be "Hayden", but I changed it to "on" because I wanted him to be different somehow from all the other Haydens, and I wanted it to be more "masculine" since Hayden is a boy/girl name. So if we end up with a Raina, we'll have Earth, Fire, and Water.
January 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At first we couldnt think of a boys name but we agreed on a girls name. Now I love our girls first name but want to find a beautiful middle name but we have at least agreed on a boys name. We are more traditional and naming them after past family members. For a girl we are using Susan (for my mom) but I havent come up with a middle name I like. For a boy we are using Daniel Edward (daniel is a name his mom loves and its the bfs middle name, and edward was my dad's middle name).

I LOVE the name lily grace. Its so beautiful. I am not much help with boys, I vetoed everything he suggested and he just kept making suggestions. I didnt actually think of a name on my own (but I did pick the girls name).

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search