Cloth Diapers

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
daisey609's Avatar Veteran
I'm going to be making my own rather than buying the start up kits. Figured out the cost the other day with some cute and durable soft fabrics and a free pattern from the internet... should be about $1.50 per diaper. the pattern is expandable so that they grow with the kid so it should help to keep costs to diapers over a possible 2 or so year period to just under $300.00.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is going this rout also. Both my husband and I have sensitive skin so I'm anticipating that this will be the only way for junior to not brake out in a really big rash.

Thoughts welcome!!

Are you doing cloth or disposable..
Are you going to try to stick to a budget as much as possible or get the cute designed and decaled units all the way?
January 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
G8RGRL's Avatar Veteran
Props to you for making ur own. Were going cloth, and are thinking about asking for cloth diapers and covers as shower gifts. Were getting hand me down items for most of the big items, were hoping our expenses will stay low.
January 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Veteran
I too plan to cloth diaper, with our without DH's blessing. I haven't discussed it with him yet, but it's something I feel very strongly about for so many reasons. Both DH and I have sensitive skin as well. Would you mind sharing the pattern you found? I've been searching for one that is expandable. I'd love to see pictures once you start sewing them
January 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
DH won't let me do cloth but if he did I'd be making them, for sure.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

January 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really crafty enough to be making my own, but I'm pretty sure we'll be going to hybrid diaper route. G diapers really appeal to me, I've heard good and bad about them but it's the only "cloth" diaper I can get DH on board with... He's like what's wrong with huggies? Then I shoot off in the we both have sensitive skin, not fantastic for landfills, cost and dioxin routes... I plan on using the cloth inserts and having the tossable ones for sending baby to grandma's because she is not a CD advocate.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

January 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning to CD. I am crafty in a creative way, but not in a correctly-follow-the-pattern way, so I'm NOT gonna attempt to make my own dipes! We have a HE washer and I'm concerned about washing issues with AIOs or pockets, plus those are way more expensive, so we are (at least in the newborn/small baby sizes) going for prefolds and covers. DH was a bit uncertain at first, but now he is on board. The grandparents may take awhile longer to see the light, but heck, they can DEAL. We don't see them that often anyway.

January 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I'm planning to CD. I am crafty in a creative way, but not in a correctly-follow-the-pattern way, so I'm NOT gonna attempt to make my own dipes! We have a HE washer and I'm concerned about washing issues with AIOs or pockets, plus those are way more expensive, so we are (at least in the newborn/small baby sizes) going for prefolds and covers. DH was a bit uncertain at first, but now he is on board. The grandparents may take awhile longer to see the light, but heck, they can DEAL. We don't see them that often anyway.
Ditto on the creative not so crafty... Haha. My mom literally lives around the corner from us and she told me she will NOT be dealing with the cloth diapers and if I sent baby over with them she would be sending baby home in pampers. =/ She's a bit um, tanacious.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

January 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Quisty's Avatar Super Mommy
Have fun making your own! I've never made my own but we've cloth diapered for a while and loved it! We have our preferences and have a wide variety of different ones for different occasions! It's makes diapering much more fun (even the laundry part )

Here are some of our fave's:

These are great cause they have snaps instead of velcro that wears out, although takes a bit more time to get on a wiggly baby! And they are one size so last longer.
Nicki's Diapers - Best Bottom Diapers

These are great prefolds that absorb a ton more than many other brands. Be sure to read some of the folding and fit pages, great info!
Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers

These are bamboo flat diapers (you fold them up to make layers like a prefold) that are great for people like me who have hard water and have a awful time rinsing suds out!
Organic Bamboo Terry Squares | $10.95-$12.95 :: Orange Diaper Co Online Shop

You can also get them in regular cotton (not as absorbant, but still work great)
Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers

Great covers for over flats and prefolds:
Thirsties Duo Wrap - Diaper Covers - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

Wool covers are fun too:
Nicki's Diaper - Little-to-Big Beetle Organic Wool

Natural & Organic Cloth Diapering Products

Fitteds are fun, but you still need a cover. I like them under wool longies (which is the cover itself) during winder time.
Orange Diaper Co Online Shop

Awesome wool longies:
Sustainablebabyish Organic Stretch Wool Karate Pants - Diaper Covers - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

Pockets have their place in my "stash" as well (don't take as long as an all in one to dry, but if they are prestuffed are very easy for daddies and babysitters). I like the above listed "bestbottoms" more though because you can get those in a cotton insert. The microfiber inserts get really stinky (like MAJOR ammonia stink) and is hard to clear of.
bumGenius 4.0 One-Size Stay-Dry Cloth Diaper - Cloth Diapers - Cotton Babies Cloth Diaper Store

Yikers, I have a ton more links. These are just some of my favorites. Check out Diaper Pin - Cloth Diapers, Tips, Reviews and More... for more reviews and advice! I'm on the forums as "Quisty" there as well.

January 13th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Peace.Love.Pepsi's Avatar Just another mommy
Cloth, but i dont make my own, i cant sew, i use pockets though, love pockets
January 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
just curious.... can someone fill me in on what this "Pockets" thing is that you all seem to know about??

And I'll post the pattern I'm using I promise!
January 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM
here is the link for cloth diapers as promised!

going tomorrow to get the fabric at a 50% off FABRIC LAND sale... I'm going to get a basic white, and some green and yellow also (we dont know what we are having yet<boy or girl>)

does anyone else have a better pattern? I found this one via youtube with this tutorial (really basic) that is easy to follow

YouTube - How to Sew a Cloth Diaper...

Home of the Free RRP Diaper pattern!: Classic RRP (Rita's Rump Pocket) pattern.
January 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Pockets are a laminate outer (PUL) - so you don't need to put a cover over it- with a liner of some sort (very often microsuede) - to help keep baby dry. It is sewn all the way around except for one of the ends (sometimes the front, sometimes the back) to create a "pocket" where you stuff an insert into. Kinda nice when you have a heavy wetter and need to add more to absorb. There are quite a few brands. I'm gonna go check out your pattern link, I like to be crafty sometimes too!

Edited to say I loved the link!!

Last edited by Quisty; January 14th, 2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: additional comment
January 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im using cloth , i use them w/dd who is 15months and plan on using them again , i also use pockets diapers and flip system . i bought havent learned how to sew yet or i would def give a try and try to make my own oooh post pics i love to see your creativity!

January 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be using disposables initially, but I am getting myself a small stash of cloth, which I am hoping to expand throughout the pregnancy before baby is born

Awesome that you are making your own I wish I was that clever, (& that I had a machine!!) You'll have to post some pics of the final products

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
January 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made a bunch of diapers for a friend and she ended up not using them, so she's giving them back! woot! I'm also gonna buy covers and perhaps some fitted...

January 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I sew everything...have three sewing machines and tons of thread, patterns, etc.

But I am not making diapers. We go the huggies route. We are a pretty "green" family with all green detergents, cleaners, etc- we recycle and reuse, and are very careful about garbage etc.
However after 2 weeks of cloth diapers with my first child I got sick of the rash- he was ALWAYS wet-- and changing diapers every 20 minutes and having his whole outfit wet, etc etc etc. I am sure that I could buy more expensive brands and maybe it wouldn't be as bad. But I don't have the time to mess with it. I was so gung ho with #1 and I really did try- but it just didn't work out.
We have never had a problem with rashes with Disposables- unless I buy the cheap Walmart diapers-- every other brand has been fine...and my kids all have pretty sensitive skin. For me its something I always WISH I had the time and money to figure out....but I am about to have 4 kids. There goes my time LOL
January 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Ashl3y
I will be using disposables until she's big enough to fit into the OS diapers. We will be buying Kawaii.
January 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I hear ya mami2three! I just sold all of my expensive Goodmama diapers to fund new diapers for this baby. Caleb didn't get a rash till after a year of using, and it was more of a chemical burn so I figured out what the problem was. I also figured out which diapers worked for us and which didn't so this time I shouldn't have to mess as much. It IS time consuming to figure something out when a problem arises. Allergic reaction to fabric? Detergent? Too much detergent? Not enough? More rinses? Blah!!

Last edited by Quisty; January 14th, 2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: clarifying
January 14th, 2011, 07:56 PM
ProjectMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are cloth diapering but I think we are going with GroVia - I'm certainly not ambitious enough to try to make my own.
January 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisty View Post
I hear ya mami2three! I just sold all of my expensive Goodmama diapers to fund new diapers for this baby. Caleb didn't get a rash till after a year of using, and it was more of a chemical burn so I figured out what the problem was. I also figured out which diapers worked for us and which didn't so this time I shouldn't have to mess as much. It IS time consuming to figure something out when a problem arises. Allergic reaction to fabric? Detergent? Too much detergent? Not enough? More rinses? Blah!!
To this day I think it was just the "cheap diapers" that I had bought. We were college students and dirt poor. I could probably go all out with this baby and buy the nice diapers and totally afford it-- but since its my LAST baby... it seems like a big investment for one baby... I plan to check out your links anyway though- because I might just buy a few to use at home at first. I am having a girl, and I have heard they are a LOT easier to cloth diaper, so I think I might try at least SOME of the time. I mean every disposable diaper I replace is one less in the landfill, right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search