Addictions

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Blueydmom2004
Hello my name is Chrissy and I'm a coke addict....the drink but still not so great right now. I stopped drinking the coke on my own a week before I realized I was pregnant. When I look back I think that was the first sign I got that I was pregnant. I LOVE to have me at least one coke a day until the end of November and I stopped cold turkey. But this week I got to a point where I felt so shaky and sick and my DH got real worried about me and for some reason his idea to make me feel better was to run to the convenient store and buy me a coke. It didn't make me feel that much better at the time...but now I can't stop craving me a coke.

Are any of the rest of you ladies addicted to something that you stopped for your little one that you miss? And what?
January 13th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'm hopelessly addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. For the past year or so, I have cut back to one or two cans a day and then switched to a caffeine free soda or flavored water. I won't quit because I'll end up with a caffeine withdrawal headache. My doctor says I'm allowed up to 300mg of caffeine per day. Of course less is better, so I limit it two, which is about 82 mg.

I think you are totally OK to have one or possibly two cans a day. While it does have a lot of sugar, the caffeine content is less than 50mg per 12 oz can so you are no where close to the 300mg per day limit. Have you tried Coke Zero?
January 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I am also a Coke addict And by that I mean the name brand soft drink of course!

I've still been having 1 per day, we are running low on the 24 pack I bought a while ago so DH bought me a 12 pack of caffeine free Coke today, what a sweet guy!
January 13th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Have you tried Coke Zero?
I did when I was pregnant with my DS. I was a borderline case with GD and I'm scared that I may get it this time around. I'm trying to eat healthier and everything from the get go this time around...when I can actually eat anything through the m/s. This pregnancy is almost a 180 from my previous 2.
But thank you....you gave me reassurance that I'm not hurting my little sprout.
January 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
thewilsons03's Avatar Veteran
Dublin Dr. Pepper. That is the first thing I will request after labor and the baby comes. DH knows he is to run to Chicken Express and get me the largest (64 oz) cup of Dublin Dr. Pepper they have. (if you are not from Texas, you may very well have no clue what I am talking about ). Now I know I am allowed to have SOME caffeine and all, but I am trying to have a "chemical free" pregnancy...I won't even take Tylenol! And besides, carbonated drinks give me stomach pains now...too many bubbles...
#1...is here!!...It's a boy!! Ridge Garrett 07/27/2011

My Big 2 year old...
January 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
You must explain what a Dublin Dr. Pepper is. I'm intrigued.
January 13th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran
I'm interested also...what is a Dublin Dr. Pepper?
January 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
thewilsons03's Avatar Veteran
There is a Dr. Pepper bottling plant here in Texas, specifically in a city called Dublin - anyway, they are one of the "original" bottlers of Dr. Pepper, and back in the day before they started loading everything up with high fructose corn syrup, they used REAL can sugar. At this bottling plant in Dublin, they still make the "original" formula of Dr. Pepper with pure can sugar - you can buy the bottles at some stores but there is a fast food restaurant called Chicken Express that EXCLUSIVELY serves the Dublin Dr. Pepper through their soft drink dispenser...and it is nothing short of HEAVEN! The Dublins actually taste different than the Dr. Pepper you buy in cans and bottles today...

Also...they only ship the Dublin formula within a certain radius of their plant (they make regular Dr. Pepper too) whichi is why if you are not in Texas, you have probably never seen it...
#1...is here!!...It's a boy!! Ridge Garrett 07/27/2011

My Big 2 year old...
January 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I think that I've seen that in stores here. You can get the original Pepsi, the original Mtn. Dew and original Dr. Pepper. I haven't tried it because I switched to Diet years ago.
January 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
babi_lovin11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to babi_lovin11
I quit smoking After I realized my period was a few days late I tossed away the cigarettes. Sometimes its hard, I never smoked in the day time in front of my girls only at night. I guess Im what you would call a social smoker, It does bother me when I see other people smoking though.
January 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been addicted to diet coke for years. A good 8 years I'd say....when I was pregnant with my first, I cut it out completely in the first tri, went to one a week in the second tri, and 1 a day in the third tri. With this pregnancy I haven't wanted it at all. One of the many reasons I suspected pregnancy at first. It's so weird that I haven't wanted it, but I'm glad! I'm wondering if once the m/s wears off if I'll want it again. I do actually prefer diet dr pepper over diet coke, but most places don't serve diet dr pepper and I only like fountain sodas so I often drink diet coke

I know you can drink some with pregnancy, my son turned out fine and my dr gave me the okay. Just use common sense and moderation!!! I'm not a big fan of aspartame during pregnancy, so if I do get a soda craving I may go for a caffeine free regular dr pepper or something.

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

January 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am with you babi_lovin11............I quit smoking......Gosh I never thought I would be able to do it.... I smoked more than you though about a half pack a day...which still isnt that much considering what most smokers do!! Anyways, as soon as i took that pregnancy test....the cigs were all broken in half.....I have to be honest though, if I was not pregnant I would have gone back....but its not about me anymore! I also think it was soooooooo much easier this time around not smoking because of course I am not DRINKING!!! As soon as you have one cocktail all you want is a cigarette!!!!!..........So anyways....here is to 4 weeks 5 days smoke free!!
January 14th, 2011, 06:19 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still drink cola 4-5 times a week. I originally cut it out completely after my BFP but as the m/s starting kicking in I found that cola helped to settle my tummy. In my opinion it's better for me to drink a little soda and then be able to eat, then to not eat or drink anything at all. I do opt for the caffeine-free version whenever possible. I drank cola a few times a week when I was pg with the twins and they turned out beautifully, so hopefully it will be inconsequential this time around as well.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

January 14th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Regular
I was never a soda drinker. I only drink soda when there is one at my house but we rarely buy sodas. But ever since I got pregnant i've been craving for coke. I drink at least 2 coke cans in a day. I'm trying to stop cos of the caffeine but I love the taste of coke
January 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM
.stargirl.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love diet coke. I only drink it a few times a week though, but I also only get the fountain drinks, and I find it hard to resist the 32oz cups. I usually don't finish it though.
January 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I love Diet Coke with some fresh lime in it. I actually haven't had one in a while, but was really thinking about one yesterday. We'll probably go to dinner tonight so I'll probably have one.

I just let myself have 1 or 2 a week. I typically don't get a refill when we're out to dinner, but I LOVE diet coke from a fountain machine. Oh Yummy.

On a good note...my boyfriend quit dipping. It's been almost 3 weeks since his last dip! This is a guy who dipped a can of snuff a DAY. That's $5 a can!!!

January 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm a diet pop addict. I keep Dt. Coke and diet orange pop in the house at all times. It's my one thing that I look forward to at night when I sit down to relax.

Pop with real sugar is definitely better. I tried the Throwback Mt Dew and I love it! I like Dr Pepper so I'd be interested to try the Dublin Dr Pepper to see how it compares.

Expecting baby #4!

January 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Kim
Oh how I love fountain pop too! I'm usually a Diet coke addict, but ever since I got pregnant I can't stomach the taste of diet; I need the real thing. I even tried doing the Coke Zero thing and it just didn't taste good. Gotta love the $1 fountain pops at McDonald's though

January 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Happy Mommy
I was going to say I gave up nothing. but I did stop smoking (though I only restarted a few months before I got preg)
January 14th, 2011, 12:17 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cherry coke-er here...but you can't get it in Brazil...so luckily I'm not drinking it. If you go by week I do good with coke, some days none, other way to much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search