Different Doctors,Different Answers!!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Super Mommy
My OB office here is quite hard to get a hold of sometimes,so I had called the one I see in my hometown,and asked them if it was safe to use the sunless tanning lotions,I use the Jergens Natural Glow one!! The Dr there said that they dont enough about them to say wether they are safe or not,or how much of the chemical is absorbed into your skin!! So here I am freaking out because I have been using it for a week,and I'm hoping my little bean is okay!!

But my OB office I see here,where I live,called me back and said the Dr said it was fine,that I could go a head and use that,which one should I listen too?? Any suggestions??
January 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Happy Mommy
go with what YOU feel okay with.

I personally would use them (but I still go to the fake and bake place and lay in a bed ) but I'm not one that is overly protective of my pregnancy.

but if YOU feel okay that it's safe then you are going to be fine
January 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use the same stuff. It doesn't seem like it could really penetrate the blood stream enough to do any harm. But I'm not a physician, so I don't really know. I'm going to keep using it, but I only use it like once a week. Let me know if you find anything out.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies!! I mean I just don't know because I have used every day after I shower since Monday,and before that I did a spray tan because the nurses and the tanning place assured me that it was totally safe!! Which by the way I will not do again,I just was not impressed with the results!! I always wait a little bit after the shower,but still,I'm really fair so for me to get ANY color I have to use it like that because otherwise it just wont work!! I just really hope my little baby is okay!!
January 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
It sounds like the first doctor was not familiar with the product and gave the safe answer - he can't tell you yes because he doesn't know, so to tell you know and give the answer that he doesn't know is the responsible answer. If your other doctor told you that yes it is safe, then I would assume that he has looked into it and did decide it was safe. Doctor's can't just say yes when they don't know, ya know? I mean, they can, and some do, but if you trust him, then you will trust if he says yes it's safe, just like you can trust someone who says no, I can't tell you it's safe because I'm not familiar with it, which is what it sounded like to me the first guy said.

That being said, I don't use any kind of tanning so I don't have a clue either LOL

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
January 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The recommendation not to do something is based off of a lack of information or research. This is common with a lot of things in pregnancy. It's the reason they recommended not drinking caffiene while pregnant until just recently, because they didn't do any controlled studies to see if it had a negative effect. There's a lot of things you apply topically everyday though and probably don't question if they are safe, deodorant, bodywash, soap, moisturizer, etc. Do you think your doctor would tell you stop using all of those things during pregnancy? It's just a matter of opinion and it's really up to you if you feel it's safe or not. I personally am not going to stop using any type of lotion, soap, deodorant, etc. during pregnancy because I don't feel enough of it is absorbed to be harmful to the baby.

January 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
The recommendation not to do something is based off of a lack of information or research. This is common with a lot of things in pregnancy. It's the reason they recommended not drinking caffiene while pregnant until just recently, because they didn't do any controlled studies to see if it had a negative effect. There's a lot of things you apply topically everyday though and probably don't question if they are safe, deodorant, bodywash, soap, moisturizer, etc. Do you think your doctor would tell you stop using all of those things during pregnancy? It's just a matter of opinion and it's really up to you if you feel it's safe or not. I personally am not going to stop using any type of lotion, soap, deodorant, etc. during pregnancy because I don't feel enough of it is absorbed to be harmful to the baby.

I never thought of it like that!! Good Point!!
January 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the "don't get sued answer" is always "not unless proven ok"....which you can't test most anything on pregnant ladies (ethically).
Since its a daily lotion I wouldn't but I don't think 7 days is going to hurt anything.
January 14th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I agree, I think you're OK!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search