Episiotomies

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2011, 01:40 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you feel about them?

Personally, unless the baby needs to get out quick, I'm refusing.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 23rd, 2011, 03:08 AM
Veteran
I didn't think they offered them anymore.
January 23rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
It's still very common!

With my 1st the doctor wanted to do one, for no good reason other than it would be fast to get the baby out and her job would be done for the day. I refused, and I'm glad I did because I only needed 2 stitches, and the doctor was like "oh I guess it's a good idea we didn't do an episiotemy!" (DUH)

With DS I didn't have one either, I had a natural birth with him. I did need a couple stitches but nothing major, very fast healing time both times.

Episiotemies are *usually* a bad idea, except in certain situations like the baby needs to come out NOW. Compare it to a sheet of paper, if you pull a sheet of paper on two ends it takes quite a bit of force to get it to tear, and even then it won't tear too much if you stop putting pressure on it. If you cut a slit in the same piece of paper and pull just a TINY bit, the whole thing rips in half! I have just heard way too many horror stories about doctors giving them without asking and then the mom ends up with a 3rd or 4th degree tear

But I'm going to a birth center and the midwives wouldn't do one except in an emergency.
January 23rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont want one either! I tore a tiny bit with DS and it really was not that bad. I say tearing is way better!
January 23rd, 2011, 05:31 AM
TheTruthWillSetUFree
I had "NO episiotomies unless emergency," in my first birth plan. The Dr. had to do one because after a 14 hr labor and 2 hrs pushing he came out blue. The cord was stuck between my pelvis and his shoulder and that's why DS heart rate dropped. He turned out fine but for those first few min. of no crying, I don't think my DH has ever been so scared. That first DS was 12 days over and 8.9lbs. Recovery from that delivery was very painful. I also had 4th degree tears. It felt like I was sitting on pieces of glass. Ouch! It took about 2 months before I could sit comfortably.

#2-I only need a small epis. and that healed up quick and fast. A couple weeks and I was back to normal. He was 8.7lbs, 7 days over due.

#3-I was induced 7 days early because I was measuring 45 wks and u/s est. 9-10lbs. He came out after 2 pushes. No epis. but I tore really bad. He was 9lbs even. That one took about a month before I could sit comfortably.

#4-They almost had to do an epi. in order to use the vac. He said I'll give you one try to push, then we try the vac. then it's into OR for an ER c/s. The baby was in distress and when my water broke there was meconium in it so they wanted her out fast. I never had the urge to push but I pushed anyways and out she slid. Smallest baby at 8.4lbs and quickest but hardest labor. No tears, no epis. but I would take the horrible recovery of the first over the horrible delivery of the last any day. Haha!

Last edited by TheTruthWillSetUFree; January 23rd, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
January 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had an episiotomy with my DD. I had a pretty awful forceps delivery, and it was necessary - it became a bit of an emergency to get her out quickly, and I wasn't able to push her out (she was pretty big, I'm pretty small).

Most OBs (but not all) do recognize that tearing is, in most cases, preferable to an episiotomy, but there are circumstances where it is warranted. Happily I had an OB who I trusted completely to make that call, as I was in no state to argue at that point.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

January 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Most OBs (but not all) do recognize that tearing is, in most cases, preferable to an episiotomy, but there are circumstances where it is warranted. Happily I had an OB who I trusted completely to make that call, as I was in no state to argue at that point.
This is very true During my hypnobirthing class hubby and I learned the stats that OB's vs. midwives tend to do them unncessarily though. It is much better if you can help it. I had it in my birth plan but, did not even need to stress over it because the midwife that I was using does not do episotomies unless it is truly needed. I had such a small tear I needed one stitch. I got lucky I guess

January 23rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
The OB that delivered DD after 2 hours of pushing told me he was going to give me one... I said no. He told me I had no choice this was his delivery. I had a 4th degree cut and could not walk or sit for over 2 weeks with out crying.
I was never asked about a birth plan, I was told what I was doing. I was induced just because it was his day on shift, I had an epi because he said. Then I was so knub I was unable to push on my own.
Lets just say he will not be delivering this baby!

Know that I know better I would have asked his policy on them and what his % rate of using them was. I did not know until after but the hospital I delivered DD in was not big on natural they were big drug pushers.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 23rd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
The OB that delivered DD after 2 hours of pushing told me he was going to give me one... I said no. He told me I had no choice this was his delivery. I had a 4th degree cut and could not walk or sit for over 2 weeks with out crying.
I was never asked about a birth plan, I was told what I was doing. I was induced just because it was his day on shift, I had an epi because he said. Then I was so knub I was unable to push on my own.
Lets just say he will not be delivering this baby!

Know that I know better I would have asked his policy on them and what his % rate of using them was. I did not know until after but the hospital I delivered DD in was not big on natural they were big drug pushers.
How horrible!

I've been lucky so far, both my boys came out with minimal pushing. I would totally be against an episiotomy other than as a last resort.
January 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought they were common too. I asked my previous OB about them and if she does the routinely and she looked at my like I had 10 heads. She said no doctors she knows of do them anymore unless there is no way around it.

I think any OB that is under 50 doesn't do them unless needed. It's the super old Drs you have to worry about since it used to be more common to do as a routine measure.

January 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
*KaraBeth*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one with ds and I've always wondered if it was really needed. It was a semi fast labor and once I was ready to push it only took about 20 min.. The recovery wasn't that bad to me though and I saw some of my friends that tore have a worse time recovering. My doctor said he doesn't do one unless needed so who knows.

January 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
My best friend had her daughter 2 days after mine. She got there at 8 cm dilated, got an epidural and then couldn't feel to push which happened pretty much right away. Then the baby's heart rate dropped and they gave her an episiotemy and used the vacuum. Well...it ended up getting infected only nobody believed her because she was a 1st time mom and they thought she was just complaining. And then she had to be admitted to the hospital...she said it was the most painful thing ever

Just goes to show you---unnecessary interventions people!
January 23rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I regret denying mine. The midwife said said I have to cut you now and I said no, I can do it.... WOW do I regret that, I tore in 4 directions VERY badly, still not the same...

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

January 23rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one with both my kids. My dd, because I was young, dumb and stupid and listened to everything the dr said to do. They ended up using the vaccuum because I had been pushing for 20 minutes nad it wasn't fast enough for the dr. With my ds, the dr. didn't even tell me he was doing it, but I was tearing already so he went ahead and cut while I was pushing which ended up causing me to have a 4th degree external tear (I had a 4th degree internal due ot the way I was forced to labor and push). My midwife said this time, it is extremely rare that she will perform one. One of the only ways is if you are past the 2nd degree tear area and you are tearing at an odd angle (she showed me what she meant and it makes sense) to minimize the long term after effects the tear and repairing would cause. But she emphisized that it is super, super rare for that to happen (of the 400 something babies she has delivered she hasn't had to do one yet).

January 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Wow, I'm so glad you ladies posted this. I wrote it down as something to ask my dr.

Always missing my 4 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12, 11/27/14
January 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I didn't need an episitomy with my first DD. With my 2nd I needed one after I delivered her. The umbilical cord detached from the placenta immediately after she was born and the doctor had to "go get" the placenta. Keep in mind this was a drug free/epidural free birth, not fun!

My doctor believes that if she constantly massages and stretches you during labor you won't need an episiotomy but a lot of doctors don't want to take the time for that.
January 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO GLAD to hear about the 1st hand experience to back me up.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
January 23rd, 2011, 10:45 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealKisses View Post
Personally, unless the baby needs to get out quick, I'm refusing.
Me too.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
January 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgirl05 View Post
Compare it to a sheet of paper, if you pull a sheet of paper on two ends it takes quite a bit of force to get it to tear, and even then it won't tear too much if you stop putting pressure on it. If you cut a slit in the same piece of paper and pull just a TINY bit, the whole thing rips in half! I have just heard way too many horror stories about doctors giving them without asking and then the mom ends up with a 3rd or 4th degree tear

I had a c-sec. so did not have one, but this is exactly how an OB acquaintance explained it to me (she used a napkin as a reference, but same concept).

Thank you Sara (misfitinmn) for my awesome siggy!

January 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
My only knowledge of episiotomies is from health class almost 2 decades ago. I assumed they were still standard. I had heard horror stories about tearing. Vaginal childbirth terrifies me as I am very small down there and even inserting a tampon is somewhat painful so I can't imagine an actual baby coming out of there without there being massive tearing. (TMI I know but seriously....I'm very very small and tight down there)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search