Intro and random....

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello. I'm new here, pregnant with baby #2! Due Aug 5 (though I think a lot of know due dates are a bit of a joke!)
I'm 26, have a son who will be 3 in Feb. My hubby (well bf, but might as well be married) and I own a small trucking company and he drives OTR so he's usually only home weekends.
DS was born via c-section, unplanned as he was breech. Nothing like 3 days of labor followed by the dr checking how dilated you are and hearing "uh-oh"....
Anyway, REALLY wanting a VBAC, doctor only somewhat on board with it. Anyone had a successful VBAC?

I'm down 23 pounds thus far thanks to 2 months of throwing up, (not that you would know it by the way my clothes fit-they don't!) but now that's ebbing off and all I want is junk food! Bah.

We have a VERY naughty kitty who would probably not be being mentioned if not for his current attack of my shirtsleeve. And I'm also super obsessed with gardening. I actually found out about this forum from someone who is on my gardening forum as well
January 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on #2 and welcome. I'm Shante, I'm 25 and expecting my first. I have no info about VBACs but there are quite a few ladies here that have had them and will be more helpful than me. LOL
January 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome!

10/1/10

January 25th, 2011, 03:53 AM
baabaamilker's Avatar Veteran
Hi I'm Denise. We are expecting baby#9. I have had a double VBAC and I love gardening too!!! We homebirth now but both of our VBAC's were in the hospital. Here's my experience.

With my first VBAC I had a great OB who really did let try. In hindsight I know that both of my C-sections were due to failure to progress because my big babies can't fit through my pelvis when lying down and of course that's the desired position of most OB's. During my first VBAC my OB allowed me to do a bit of pushing on my knees, so no issues with that one.

For my second VBAC I really had to dig to find someone who would let me try. Finally I found a practice that had a meeting over it and decided they would let me try. Things weren't looking good with that one. Again the Dr. wanted me on my back, and I could tell he was nervous about the whole thing. I pushed for 1 1/2 hours with my fourth child because he could not fit through the pelvis. When the Dr. left I asked the nurse if I could get up on my knees because it was very painful on my back. She said she felt that mom's knew what they needed so she let me up. The Dr. was no happy when he came back in the room and found me in that position. However, just ten minutes in that position I had moved the baby all the way down.

Here are some things to think about.

#1 Even if a Dr. says that he is going to let you VBAC, most likely he is very uncomfortable with it and the first sign of something going wrong he is going want a c-section.

#2 If you can at all refuse to be induced, do your best. First of all pitocin causes unnatural contractions which of course can cause problems with the uterus, and also the baby. You do have the right to refuse, but you are going to have to be hard headed because they are very pushy when things don't go their way.

#3 Get yourself into all kinds of positions that are comfortable for you during labor. Sometimes a baby just needs a different position to be able to manuever around in the pelvis.

You can do it. Even a breech baby can be born vaginally, you just need a Dr. who is trained in breech deliver (which can be hard to find). Maybe you can make that one of your priorities should a breech baby become an issue again. Find a Dr. who is trained and experienced in it.

Vaginal deliveries are so much easier in many ways. Many women opt for a second c-section because they thought their first was easy. I have yet to run into a woman who didn't have a harder time recovering from their second c-section, and I'm one of them.

Do yourself a very big favor and do lots of research. First of all research and read birth stories of women who've been induced and see if there isn't a very high rate of c-section because of it. Secondly, if you can get a hold of any information from the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology about the studies done on VBAC's that could be helpful in confronting a Dr. They read the stuff but don't always retain it. When I went for my second VBAC the Dr. told me that the report from the ABOG was inconclusive because not many women opt. to try it. I think now that board forbids OB's to do repeat VBAC's but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I could go on and on as after having eight I can look back and see where uneccessary interventions were used on me, and keeping me on my back in bed led to uneccessary c-sections.

Hope that you arm yourself and be determined if that is really what you are looking for.

January 25th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congrats!

I haven't had a c-section, but my suggestion would be to find a doctor who is FULLY on board with your VBAC. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a woman say she is trying for a VBAC and her doctor convinces her otherwise right before the birth because he was never truely on board. VBACs are inconvienent for doctors, they have to be there the entire labor and you have to be monitored much closer for complications. You can't induce for a VBAC either, so some doctors will use that as an excuse for a repeat c-section. I would strongly encourage you to do your own research on VBACs and ask your doctor lots of questions.

I have a neighbor who just had a home birth VBA3C and she has passed along a lot of information to me about VBACs. This is one website she has talked about: International Cesarean Awareness Network - Childbirth.org
When I did a search, it also looks like they have local ICAN networks and you should be able to find yours through a quick search. I think there's also a c-section and c-section grief board on JustMommies that might be able to guide you to some place with information on VBACs.

January 25th, 2011, 04:53 AM
inlove08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome. I am also due Aug 5th....

Thank you Vicki.... for my beautiful siggie!!!
January 25th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome to the DDC!
January 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Happy Mommy
Congrats and welcome!!! Feel free to add your name where you'd like (for due date sticky, appts, and then sign up for a Due Date Buddy if you'd like)

Can't wait to get to know you better!
January 25th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and welcome! The other moms have given great advice. The ICAN site is wonderful. I had wanted a VBAC, found a doc who was pro-VBAC, only to learn the hospital she delivered at didn't allow VBACS. She didn't tell me that till late in the pg. I did go into labor on my own and thought I could stay at home as long as possible, but I started bleeding and got scared so I went in, and when they couldn't stop my labor we did a repeat c-section. I'd say the other big thing is to have your partner and any other support people on board with your decision. My husband preferred a repeat section, so I didn't have anyone really encouraging me. I wish you lots of luck!

January 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone! That's awesome we have the same dd inlove!
I've been reading the stories on the VBAC board here too. My doctor better be prepared because I felt a huge loss with my sons c-section birth and I am SO much more prepared with information this time! Does anyone know where I can get information on writing a birth plan?? I know what I want with this baby and I'm not afraid to make it known!
January 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Welcome! I'm also due August 5th. Looking forward to getting to know you!
January 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hooray! You're here! I'm excited now, there's one more person I "know" in the ddc, he he!

You need to get yourself a ticker for your siggy! I'm looking forward to hearing more about you and your baby. And having a birth plan sounds like a great idea. I'm going to look into that after my appt Thurs.

See you around!!
January 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey welcome! I don't know much about c-sections or vbac but I hope you can find a good support system for what you want.

January 25th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Lady Anna's Avatar Veteran
A very warm welcome!! :-)

January 25th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Petal! YAY! I went and did tickers I'm excited to be here too! I already found so much information!

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

January 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome. I'm Marika and expecting my first Aug 14th.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search