PPD...Who's had it and who's worried about it?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This is a good thing to discuss and be open about, as we all need a little support after the babies arrive and especially if you've experienced PPD or are worried you may.

January 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Peace.Love.Pepsi's Avatar Just another mommy
I had it after one and three. Im not worried if i get it again, i get it again. I mostly manage my depression with St Johns Wort and B vitamins ( it works REALLY well if you arent majorly i want to kill myself depressed) Its breastfeeding but not pregnancy safe so i had to stop when i got pregnant, sadly thats when i needed it most lol. Ive been depressed most of this pregnancy, but am starting to feel a bit better, so here is to hoping i have a happier second half ( plus 3 weeks) and if not, then not, my dr knows and is willing to give me medication if i need it.
January 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
I suffered severe PPD and OCD after Halleigh was born. I think it was sparked by the defeat I felt having a c-section. It lasted several months before slowly getting better. I didn't take medication. I guess I didn't believe that a pill could make what I was feeling any better. Not sure if it was the right choice, but I think if it happens again I will atleast talk to a doctor about it.

I'm a little worried it might happen again, but I will have more support this time since our family will be around.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
January 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM
sapna2011's Avatar Veteran
I had it after DD was born and the biggest mistake I made was not talking to anybody about it. I am scared about it. I fear it, I am not gonna lie, but I know now it's ok to need help and ask for it. I hope none of us get it.
January 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
I think I had it, but was never sure because I suffer from depression and GAD. I'm a lot more comfortable with asking for help, this time around. I hope it doesn't interfere with my bonding with the baby.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

January 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
My doctor told me I'm very high risk for postpartum psychosis. I have severe depression, anxiety, OCD, borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and I'm a recovered anorexic (so my post-baby body might trigger the depression or something) and I have Graves' disease (an autoimmune disease that can cause psychological disorders/symptoms) which is suppose to get very severe during the postpartum period and I've heard horror stories of Graves' disease mothers not even being able to get out of bed the first 3 months after because of the extreme fatigue the disease causes. So being so sick I can't even get out of bed would probably cause depression too. I've been hospitalized for my depression twice in my life (the last one fairly recently- in March 2010) so it could get really bad. So yeah... I'm *really* scared about it. Doctors and family members are already making a plan to monitor me. Right now I'm just trying to focus on the present and not worry too much about what will happen after.

January 25th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyj88 View Post
My doctor told me I'm very high risk for postpartum psychosis. I have severe depression, anxiety, OCD, borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and I'm a recovered anorexic (so my post-baby body might trigger the depression or something) and I have Graves' disease (an autoimmune disease that can cause psychological disorders/symptoms) which is suppose to get very severe during the postpartum period and I've heard horror stories of Graves' disease mothers not even being able to get out of bed the first 3 months after because of the extreme fatigue the disease causes. So being so sick I can't even get out of bed would probably cause depression too. I've been hospitalized for my depression twice in my life (the last one fairly recently- in March 2010) so it could get really bad. So yeah... I'm *really* scared about it. Doctors and family members are already making a plan to monitor me. Right now I'm just trying to focus on the present and not worry too much about what will happen after.
They *should* offer you some help in the hospital, too. They had a social worker come speak to me and offer me tons of information on PPD and gave me a ton of phone numbers to call at any hour for any type of feelings I was having. She also referred me to different therapists and pyschologists, if I needed them.

For those of you who are worried about it, don't be afraid to talk about it. It isn't embarrassing or abnormal to not understand your feelings after the birth of your child, and even if you just come on here to type out an "OMG, I am so frustrated." Or "I feel like a horrible mother." post, it is always better to get some support than to hold it in.

January 25th, 2011, 12:47 PM
tyggrlili25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to tyggrlili25 Send a message via Yahoo to tyggrlili25
I havnt had it yet. I am not to worried about it.
I plan on taking lots of Vitamin D after delivery as well.
There are studies now confirming the link between ppd and regular depression with vitamin d deficiencies.

January 25th, 2011, 03:09 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm worried about it. I have struggled with depression in the past and am in a really great place. I am hoping that I will be able to recognize in myself that I am not ok. I will be pretty much surrounded by people for the first month, so I am hoping that will help.

January 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggrlili25 View Post
I havnt had it yet. I am not to worried about it.
I plan on taking lots of Vitamin D after delivery as well.
There are studies now confirming the link between ppd and regular depression with vitamin d deficiencies.
Thanks for the info. What vitamin or source of Vitamin D will you use?

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)
January 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good thread. I love the suggestions of how to help manage it. I know I had "something" but I never went and got checked out. I think mine was some sort of anxiety, everything was in fear of my baby being harmed & not natural fears these were weird unusual scenarios that I created in my head that could possibly happen. It ran my life and I didn't want anyone to come over nor did I want to leave the house, I held the baby seriously like 24/7 and really never slept. I aso was very depressed about my body & cried a lot. Like I said, I have no idea what I truly had but this time around I am going to try and prepare for it better.

January 25th, 2011, 06:14 PM
carlykay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since this is the first baby, I'm honestly not sure what to expect. I've been moody throughout the pregnancy and still some days just feel completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. In the past I have had bouts of depression and so PPD is definitely something I need to be on the lookout for I think.
January 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM
aimee320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aimee320
I had it with both of my kids, my son was premature and had to stay in the NICU, I never took anything for it because I was so worried about him and didn't really care about myself, once he came home I felt better and it went away. I had it REALLY bad when my daughter was born, I remember standing in the parking lot the day we were discharged crying, i spent so much time laying in bed crying my eyes out. When I took her to the ped they had me do a survey and then suggested I talk to someone, I took medicine for awhile and it got better... I'm am afraid I'll have it this time around to, I already started taking medicine for anxiety, I got really depressed once we moved to NC and getting pregnant right away didn't help but thankfully I'm feeling good, I know it's gonna come back to bite me though once the baby comes because I won't be near my family

January 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my first. But I am VERY worried about having PPD. Im worried because I have pretty bad gender disapointment that comes and goes. And ever since i was diagnosed with my Fibromyalgia when i was 11 I have struggled off and on with depression and hurting myself (wow i feel a bit crazy writing that out lol ). I was on sleep aids, anti depressents, and pain medication for about 5 years (bad doctors and bad visiting on my part), which is what they believe gave me my heart problem as i developed it during that time period.

However, I m worried about it. And I am really worried that I may loose some support within my family because nobody seems to understand being depressed (coming from a family of alcoholics and severley depressed people this always confused me). But I am worried about ability to deal with everything on my own at first. Deivn will try take off for a week and then I will be alone. JUst nervous I guess

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

January 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
I had it pretty badly with DS. One of things I'll do this time is let them take the baby to the nursery at night. I'll still EBF but I know how important sleep is in the first 48 hours pp to mitigate PPD risk.

January 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM
kamiyu910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kamiyu910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicag View Post
This is my first. But I am VERY worried about having PPD. Im worried because I have pretty bad gender disapointment that comes and goes. And ever since i was diagnosed with my Fibromyalgia when i was 11 I have struggled off and on with depression and hurting myself (wow i feel a bit crazy writing that out lol ). I was on sleep aids, anti depressents, and pain medication for about 5 years (bad doctors and bad visiting on my part), which is what they believe gave me my heart problem as i developed it during that time period.
Well that kinda makes 2 of us then. I wasn't diagnosed with Fibro until I was 18, but I've been fighting depression since I was 12.
My OB/GYN yelled at me because I hadn't been to the psych since Nov (well she was the one who canceled on me anyway) and they're certainly worried about me having everyday depression. They'll be watching me for PPD, considering I'm already depressed. Does having depression help you deal with PPD better?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search