Kinda gross- but anyone else have this issue?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
As a kid I had tonsillitis very often (my mom smoked a pack of cigs a day in a tiny house). Anyways, because of those infections I now have 'tonsil craters'- basically holes in my tonsils. Apparently it happens as you get older anyways, but more so if you've had tonsillitis a lot as a kid.

The issue that comes with that is that food gets trapped, calcifies, and comes out in these disgusting white, hard balls, that smell. It happened the first time when I was pg with DD. There was a good month that I was getting them. I actually was going to get my tonsils taken out after I had her, but then it went away. It hasn't been bad every since my pregnancy with DD. Very seldomly I would it would happen, but it wasn't a drawn out thing. It would come out, and that was all she wrote. Now- since becoming pregnant again- the last 2 weeks it has been constant! I have no idea if it is the hormones or what, but omg they are disgusting! I have tried getting them out myself, water pick, etc.

Anyone else get these? What do you do if you get them. Sorry for all the weak tummy people out there, it is really gross.
January 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I don't. I had my tonsils removed when I was 17 and they were extremely pitted and huge. I had tonsillitis as a kid really often.
January 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, my tonsils are scarred and holey. And gross and stinky! I went through a period of years where I had the white things regularly. I'm thankful I haven't had them recently, though (6 months or longer).

I took Biology in college and had to buy a dissection kit. Included in the kit is a metal "probe" that is absolutely perfect for probing around my tonsil cavities and removing the white offenses (the right length, not sharp, and washable). I have practically no gag reflex anymore after doing this regularly for years. But my DH can't stand to glimpse me when I get out the "tools" and makes himself scarce.
January 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Lady Anna's Avatar Veteran
I've had some trouble with this. I can usually clean them out with just my fingers... and a flashlight so I can see. I agree, it's gross. :-(

January 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
sweetgirl51305's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get them too. I use one of my pore/pimple popper tools (idk what it's called, it's a metal stick basically that you use to press on pimples or pores) to scrape them out. I mainly get them after I get sick and every couple of months. Mine smell horrible too.

~*Visit my ETSY shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SillyWillyLilli*~
January 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Holy crap! I always wondered what they were but too embarrassed to ask!!!!

FTR I use a bobby pin (the curved side) to get them out I only have one that gets the calcified food but I know I have another one on the other side. I really want to get my tonsils removed
January 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh thank god I am not alone. I feel so self conscience about them when I get them. When I am not pregnant they come out on their own without me even realizing they were there (besides a minor sore throat that day), but when I am pregnant it seems constant! Every time I swallow I get this disgusting taste in the back of my mouth. It is really only the one tonsil too. Thanks girls! I feel much better knowing it isn't as uncommon as I thought.
January 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my ex husband had this problem. he used to use a q-tip to dig it out. he finally had enough and got his tonsils out. really improved his breath LOL!
January 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oddly enough though.. my breath is fine unless they are acting up. I have read a lot that ppl even with them not present have chronic bad breath so, I count my blessings there.
January 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
My breath is fine too, thank goodness! I want to get my tonsils taken out so bad though! They are always giving me problems and they are enlarged and hard as rocks since I was exposed to toxic mold for extended period of time when I was a teenager.
January 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you google tonsiliths or tonsil stones you can find info about it. I get them on occassion and they are so gross. I use a flashlight and a qtip to get them out or my fingers (washed). I can usually feel when I have one because it will feel like my tonsil has something in it. I had tonsilitis a lot as a kid, maybe that's why I get them.

Dh gets them too and at least he used to get them a lot more. I dunno why but his tonsils are a lot more pitted and yucky looking than mine. They drive him nuts b/c for awhile he was having bad breath and he assumes because of them. He wants his tonsils out but I told him I dunno if an ENT will take out your tonsils just for that? For some reason I don't think his have been as bad lately.

January 25th, 2011, 03:16 PM
avasmom603's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I became a chronic gum chewer because of this!! I got tonsilitis a lot, as an adult. They were so swollen, even when not sick that they always touched the hanging thing. To take any Tylenol or anything it had to be with food or it'd get stuck. After each meal I had to 'clean them out'. I used a toothpick to dig out the food. It was GROSS. STUNK so bad. I finally had them out in 1999 at the age of 29. Was SO painful, but so worth it. Might want to give an ENT a call and see what you can do while pregnant.

10/1/10

January 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
teacher.123's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I do. My coworker also had that and was able to get her tonsils out about 10 years ago. After talking with her I went to my doctor (about 3 years ago). He referred me the an ENT. My ENT said they don't just take tonsils out anymore like they used to in the past. In fact he said that they rarely take them out now and wouldn't take mine out unless it progressed and was bad everyday. He gave me two green plastic probes. They have a long handle and a little hoop at the end for me to clean them out with.

Sometimes they get bad and I can feel it with my tongue. When that happens I have to clean them asap, it really bothers me. My breath is not bad, except while cleaning them out and then I always brush my teeth and use mouth wash.

LOL. When I worked at my Dad's dental office, I would suction my tonsils out with a surgical suction! OK maybe that was TMI! I thought it was cool.

January 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh man! At this point a surgical sucker would be AWESOME!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search