What to eat?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to change my menu up a bit, and I am trying hard to encorporate all the nutrients I need into everyday. Anyone have any great recipes or ideas they would like to share? Dinner, lunch, breakfast, snacks, anything!

Here are a few that I have made in past pregnancies and love!

*Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, tenders removed (about 5 oz each)
cup lowfat yogurt
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard - I use yellow b/c I hate Dijon
1 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced
cup shredded carrots
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper
cup chopped walnuts, if desired

Instructions

Place chicken breasts in a medium saucepan, add water to cover. Place over high heat; bring to a boil. Skim off any scum that forms. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat; allow chicken to cool in cooking liquid for 45 minutes.
In medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and mustard. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; add to bowl, along with celery, carrots, onion, and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with walnuts, if desired.

*Carrot Buttermilk Soup
2 cups baby carrots
1 small Yukon Gold potato, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup peeled and chopped shallots
2 teaspoons butter
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons minced dill
1 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Place shallots, carrots, potato, butter and broth in a medium sized pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender. Add the dill and stir and cook one minute.

2. Add the buttermilk and gently simmer until heated through (2 to 3 minutes) and season with salt and pepper

*can also be served chilled with a scoop of plain yogurt.

And for dessert...my family adores my oatmeal cookie recipe * I was thinking of adding alittle ginger too, to see if that helps my nausea.

1 cup raisins
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups quick cooking oats
Directions
In a small saucepan, combine raisins and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet. Drain plumped raisins, reserve 6 tablespoons of the liquid.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually add eggs, vanilla, and the 6 tablespoons water from the raisin pan; mix until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the oats and raisins; mixing until just combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, edges should be golden brown

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
January 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Mom2twolittlemen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Mom2twolittlemen Send a message via MSN to Mom2twolittlemen
Yummy recipes. We should get a recipe forum stickied!!!

January 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good idea! I forgot to add - for the cookies I sometimes use chocolate chips, or craisins, and sometimes I grind up walnuts and add them to the mix - which not only taste great but is great for you.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search