I dont have back seats...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 07:09 AM
CherishC's Avatar Super Mommy
Well I have a ford ranger truck, think its a 01. Well it doesn't really have back seats, it has flip up back seats and I know I can not use a car seat on a flip up seat. My mother says as long as I turn off the air back in the front seat its fine and she said she did that with me when I was a baby because she had a truck as well. Well I don't like the idea of using the front seat. Is it safe, does anyone you know do this? is it even legal because I know laws have changed since I was a baby. Only other choice we have to a car right now is my fiances car and hes used that thing a lot, in poor shape because of his work. He uses a work truck now, I have my truck and his car stays at the shop. I feel safer in my truck then that car. But what should we do, trade in both cars and get one nice car. Only probably to that is his com laid him off once and I think they might do that again, so he will lose the work truck and we will only be down to one car. Or use my truck with the baby in the front. I don't know what to do.

January 26th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
The laws about that vary by state. I know in California kids under a certain age/weight are required to be in the back seat, but that's not a law in my state. You can check your state's laws here.

I'm not really sure about the safety though. I know you absolutely must turn off the air bag, and you'll definitely want to get the seat checked out to make sure it's installed properly.

January 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i think it's legal but i wouldnt feel safe either.

January 26th, 2011, 09:11 AM
ppeacocks's Avatar Traci
if you dont have a back seat..you are not breaking any laws.
Funny thing is...there is a police capt in my town that has kids in my kid's school. he drives a pick-up truck of some sorts. He has car seats in the front seat. He drops his son off every day and he pops out of front seat booster seat.
hope this helps. traci
taryn (4)
travis august 4th
http://www.facebook.com/xtmacx
January 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
CherishC's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks, I really don't know what I'm going to do. I mean I love my truck, LOVE it but I love my baby more and I just don't feel like its the safest thing to do but might be the only car I have for a while.

January 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
jenn27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Front seat of a truck is not ideal but if you have no other choice, then you have to do what you have to do. If you have a bench seat in the truck in the front, I would be sure to turn the airbag off even though it would be on the drivers side and I would put baby in the middle of the seat. That way you don't have to worry about side impact as much if you are in a wreck. DD was in the back seat of our previous vehicle but she was always in the middle.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search