BTDT, Best pads for Postpartum bleeding?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2011, 09:10 PM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Getting the hospital bag ready and i know this will be an essential item for the first month after delivery.

What are the best pads to use for postpartum bleeding? Recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

January 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
wendy1134's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wendy1134 Send a message via Yahoo to wendy1134
I was also wondering the same thing. thanks for asking the question
January 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
brandi.lyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Always brand, the overnight maxi with wings, sometimes I'd use the maxi extra long as well.
January 26th, 2011, 10:32 PM
daisyjay2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
something thick, long, and with wings... with dd in the hospital they put these hideous netting type undies on with 2 stacked huge overnight pads. when i got home i used the always brand, extra long with wings. i remember the first few days post delivery to be really heavy, then it lightened up quite a bit but hung around for weeks.

January 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess it's just me, but I LOVE the mesh panties!! I always steal a few extra pair before I leave. It keeps my real undies from getting messy.

As for pads, I used anything that was super LONG, THICK, and wings!
January 27th, 2011, 04:49 AM
pinkalicious75's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ditto to all the above posters....long, thick and wings! Also, don't get too many because the heavy part might not last as long as you think.
January 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I think I am the only person on the planet that hates wings on pads. I always worry that the manufacturers will stop making them without wings. They always make the blood seep to the sides and underneath my panties. Plus, they stick to my pubi hair and I just don't like them..... anyway.

I'd go with an overnight pad that's really long and absorbent. I like Always but there are other brands that are okay to me. I have a bunch of pads still at the house because I stockpile things and when I got pregnant I just didn't think I was ever going to get pregnant again so I have a ton of pads here. I don't think any of them are overnight pads but I will probably just make due with them or wear two at a time if I need to.

January 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the ones with wings too. Normally I don't for the same reasons Patty mentioned, but with PP bleeding I like them because they make it so the pads don't roll up. For me that was the second most uncomfy thing.. not only is everything swollen and tender, but the pad is rolling up in my undies. Grr. There were some Up & up pads that I really liked, but couldn't tell you more about them since its been like 10 months since I've set foot in target!

I really stocked up on pads with DS. Not only can you not use tampons during pp bleeding, but it was quite some time before tampons were comfortable again.

Oh and this was just me.. but I stocked up on some cheapie panties that I didn't care about because late in the PP bleeding pads really started to chafe and it was nice to just go without pads sometimes and not care about what happened to the undies. It was at that point where the pp bleeding was hardly anything though.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Super Mommy
Ughhh I hate pads- so not looking forward to them..

I'm just going to look for something super thin but long I guess. I don't care if I have to change them every hour- I just hate the feeling of a thick diaper like pad.

January 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Blessingsfromabove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I must the only one that HATES "Always" brand! LOL
I can't use them because they have the plastic mesh and that mesh gives me a MAJOR rash if I use them.

Soooo... BECAUSE PP bleeding is sooooooo abundant, I use the depends brand that looks like pads...but they are wider, more absorbent then a pad....and they are actually what my hospital gives you after birth. (I didn't know this until I asked one day...."Where do you guys get these from?" and they told me what they were!)
I use them for the first few days of REALLY heavy bleeding so that I protect my clothes and bed as much as possible. After the bleeding slows down, I switch to regular pads that are extra long and say "overnights"

~Tina~
January 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
marriedtoamountie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm an Always lover as well!!!! Long and thick and I liked the wings... however, I did buy some with NO wings to run under the faucet and freeze. Then I'd put that as an ice pack with the "winged" pad underneath (just when I was watching television). GLORIOUS!!!

January 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used the proper maternity pads as opposed to normal menstrual pads as they were a lot softer. I found the Always ones quite hard which wasn't great for my stitches!

January 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM
ANGWife
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandilyn View Post
I used Always brand, the overnight maxi with wings, sometimes I'd use the maxi extra long as well.

You want something with wings, very absorbent, and long if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammie View Post
I used the proper maternity pads as opposed to normal menstrual pads as they were a lot softer. I found the Always ones quite hard which wasn't great for my stitches!

Hmm I had stitches and did just fine with the Always pads. Each mommy is different
January 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate wings too. Ugggghhh I think with my previous deliveries I used big thick Kotex ones. I think those were the thickest I could find. The bleeding wasnt as much as I had thought it would be though. These worked great for me.

January 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Big ones!

Anything meant to hold a LOT will be fine. If you like wings or not, is up to you.

January 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM
DramaFreeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone!

I actually use the "always" thin overnight pads w/ wings for my normal period. I suffer from ridiculously heavy menstrual bleeding and they are the only ones that have kept everything in.

They don't give me rashes but i can see how someone could feel uncomfortable wearing them with stitches. I think i will use my regular overnights and if the bleeding is worse than i expect or i need something softer, i'll put a thicker pad on top. I need to remember to ask at my next midwife appointment what kind of pads the hospital uses.

Cece

Thank You Sharon for my beautiful siggy!

January 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
wendy1134's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wendy1134 Send a message via Yahoo to wendy1134
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions! I hate pads with wings I do use pads for normal periods but mine won't be thick enough. I'll have go out and buy some thicker and longer ones.
January 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessingsfromabove View Post
I must the only one that HATES "Always" brand! LOL
I can't use them because they have the plastic mesh and that mesh gives me a MAJOR rash if I use them.

Soooo... BECAUSE PP bleeding is sooooooo abundant, I use the depends brand that looks like pads...but they are wider, more absorbent then a pad....and they are actually what my hospital gives you after birth. (I didn't know this until I asked one day...."Where do you guys get these from?" and they told me what they were!)
I use them for the first few days of REALLY heavy bleeding so that I protect my clothes and bed as much as possible. After the bleeding slows down, I switch to regular pads that are extra long and say "overnights"
That's really helpful--I love the hospital ones because they're less bunchy and cover more area--I always take some home with me.
My bleeding has always been horrible: 12-13 weeks with both pregnancies. Hopefully this one will be different....
December 11th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I have used and LOVE the MammaCanDoIt pads. They are SOOO soft and hold a ton of fluid. There's optional gussets on the sides too which hold in yucky gushes while still at the hospital. You have to make them yourself, but the pattern is SO easy to follow..even for first timers.
Here's the link to the pattern: Postpartum Pad Pattern

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search