I guess I'm rude now

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So I guess I am one of the pregnant women that gets annoyed when every Tom, Dick, and Harry give me their "friendly" opinion on the gender. I'm not rude about it........well, maybe a little, but I have been kinda snippy to people. It seems like everyone I know is saying, "Well with that high heart beat it is DEFINITELY a girl" or "Wow! That heart beat means it's a boy". Even our secretary, who didn't even know I was pregnant until two days ago on Facebook, said, "I've just been having a feeling that you are having a boy". I was like...um...you didn't even know I was pregnant and today is the first time you have seen me.
Every time someone I know predicts the gender, I smart off..."Well there's a 50/50 chance that you are right."

Then everyone also wants to offer their input in terms of weight/food. I am eating relatively healthy, but I am also eating what I can to settle my stomach still. Everyone asked how my appt went on Wed and when I mentioned that I've lost 5 lbs, they ALL started freaking out. "WHAT?? IS THAT HEALTHY??? YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GAIN!!! IS THE DOCTOR CONCERNED?? OMG!! YOU ARE STARVING YOUR BABY!!" Seriously! People said all of those things to me this week. To the girl who said I am "starving" my baby, I said...Well, I just don't want to get fat...ya know? LOL!!!!!!!!
She looked at me all crazy-eyed!

Even my mom and MIL keep sending me messages saying "she" and "it's a girl" or "how's my granddaughter?" And not that I'll be mad that it's a girl, but they all know we are really hoping for a boy so every time they say that stuff, I get pissed off.

January 28th, 2011, 06:23 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol! I'm laughing because I could've written this post in 2009. I only gained 12 lbs with Layla & my lack of weight gain almost caused a faculty meeting. They were annoyed if I had short heels on my boots. They were annoyed if I had tea for lunch. They were annoyed if I put work on my bulletin board because--good heavens! You don't want to wrap the cord around baby's neck. I think being in a school is hard for pregnant women because mostly women work there.
I also get annoyed when people predict gender based on bologna. I wanted a girl & everyone else wanted it to be a boy. They kept calling her he, & some even tried to keep it up AFTER the u/s saying u/s weren't always right. I said "well if this is a boy, I feel sorry for him".
This time my cousin swears this is a boy. She always wants the opposite of what I want & I think she just wants this to be a boy so she can claim dd's outgrown clothes.
Luckily after your u/s you'll be able to shut some of them up. Some.

Last edited by ~Rae~; January 28th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
January 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Happy Mommy
just try to remember they mean well... but yes when you are pregnant peoples normal polite barriers seem to disappear.
January 28th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, they all mean well and I think many people just don't realize what they are saying or how it comes out until after. I still catch myself saying things to other pregnant friends and family that really annoyed me when I was pregnant, it's just a force of habit I think. These preggo horomones are a wonderful thing, aren't they?

Expecting baby #4!

January 28th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Kim
Ah, welcome to motherhood, lol. People are SO much more annoying when you're pregnant, even if they do mean well. I'm like you, though, because I couldn't help but have a smart comment for them when it got to be too much; it doesn't help that my internal censor seems to shut off when I'm preggo too I was OK with all the gender predictions and stuff, but later on when it gets to the "wow, you must be ready to pop any day!" when you have 3 months left, or the "haven't you had that baby yet??" starts up, I start feeling straight up homocidal Hang in there.

January 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if anyone else was in a pregnant woman's shoes, they'd truly get that all the comments and unsolicited advice can get to you. Yes, we can be rude now and then... but it's perfectly understandable if you are in that position. Suddenly everyone becomes a doctor and can tell you the finest details about what you're having, how you should eta, what you should or shouldn't gain. It's frustrating.
January 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hate to break it to you but it doesn't stop here. Once you have the baby EVERYONE especially strangers at the store try to tell you how you are doing things wrong. I remember a lady telling me My daughter was starving because she was sucking her fingers. I said well I sucked mine until I was in 2nd Grade and trust me I wasn't starving. Hang in there!

January 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I agree, they all mean well and I think many people just don't realize what they are saying or how it comes out until after. I still catch myself saying things to other pregnant friends and family that really annoyed me when I was pregnant, it's just a force of habit I think. These preggo horomones are a wonderful thing, aren't they?
I try to be extra mindful of what I say to pg women but sometimes I have a slip up or don't know how else to word something.
Unfortunately, it seems that when you become pg, you become a public commodity & everyone suddenly feels it's ok to give you totally unsolicited advice or whatever comments come to mind. Unfortunately, this is just the first of many. In my experience, it got better once I had my daughter, but for lots of women, it continues on. All you can do is just smile & nod & then when you're out of sight, curse them out or kick a wall I used to come home from work crying because I was constantly told how huge I was. Even just the other day, one of my coworkers, who is quite a bit larger than I am & who was also pg at the same time as me, made a comment about how big I was when I was expecting & how everyone was laughing that my DD was only 7.7lbs...like....what was the rest of the weight for? I was like Umm...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMQ View Post
Ah, welcome to motherhood, lol. People are SO much more annoying when you're pregnant, even if they do mean well. I'm like you, though, because I couldn't help but have a smart comment for them when it got to be too much; it doesn't help that my internal censor seems to shut off when I'm preggo too I was OK with all the gender predictions and stuff, but later on when it gets to the "wow, you must be ready to pop any day!" when you have 3 months left, or the "haven't you had that baby yet??" starts up, I start feeling straight up homocidal Hang in there.
Ahhh totally, totally!!!

January 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wait until everyone starts touching us constantly... I'm dreading the 'omg you're pregnant! I'm going to invade your space and touch your belly without asking! ' people
At least that happen to my sister alot when she was pregnant and I'm big on my personal space so I'm not looking forward to people touching me.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

January 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't let it bother you and don't feel badly about it. If someone is nosy enough to give their own unwanted opinion then they deserve a rude response lol. And yes it does just get worse from here. Gotta love preggo hormones!

Thanks Claire for my awesome siggy!!

January 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm all for smart butt comments when people do dumb things. My biggest disappointment last time was my bump never got big enough strangers just knew I was pregnant. I have waited for years to grab a boob or some guys junk and comment on its size after they grab my belly! LOL Hopefully this time I will get to do that!
I had a lady who flipped out when I told her I was having a natural childbirth (didn't even get to the homebirth part :LOL: ) and she started telling me how much it was going to hurt and staring at me like I was dumb (I was 38 weeks along)...so I told thanks for filling me in on it and asked her where the local abortion clinic was at because I decided that didn't sound fun! I think she will think twice before saying crap like that to strangers! .... I get more snippy near the end
The sex thing.... I love not telling people (because we don't know) but if we did I wouldn't ever let those who predict know early! And I think I made comments about your 49/49/2 chances your right..or I could have one of those weird combos where the genes and junk don't march or both a penis and a vagina are there! And look all excited.
So in summary have fun messing with people....its only going to get worse once babe is here and its good practice in keeping a sense of humor about others.

Last edited by soImarriedAnerd; January 28th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
January 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I must give off b*tch vibes early on cause I don't get ANY comments about gender and no one has ever tried to touch my belly (I would definitely turn ugly if that were to happen). It does get worse toward the end when people start asking when you're due and you tell them and they say "are you sure there's not two in there?!" That comment alone makes me come unglued. I need to think of a smart ***** comment to respond with for this time.

The first time it really sucks, but after a while you start getting thicker skin toward ignorant people and take their "helpful" comments with a grain of salt (or just learn to ignore them completely!).

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

January 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
shoppermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMQ View Post
Ah, welcome to motherhood, lol. People are SO much more annoying when you're pregnant, even if they do mean well.

I find I get more annoyed with people the further along I get-----it must be the hormones. I HATE comments like "what if it's another girl?" Or another comment we get is "if it's another girl then are you going to try again for a boy?" Ugh I hate it when people IMPLY that my family is NOT complete without a son. My family is complete when DH and I say it is complete............so there.

I don't mind when CLOSE friends/family touch my belly. However, with BOTH my previous pregnancies I had STRANGERS touch my belly. WHO honestly does that and thinks it's ok?

Thank you bokkechick for my beautiful siggy

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Last edited by shoppermom; January 28th, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
January 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The to small comments are annoying to...... it seems we all have two in there or we have a sick baby in there I had people get VERY concerned when I said I was so-a-so along because I was so tiny I must have a medical condition that is harming the child!
January 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
just try to remember they mean well... but yes when you are pregnant peoples normal polite barriers seem to disappear.
This exactly. Smile and nod and then ignore.
January 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i dont have issues with the gender thing really. i like when people are excited - i think there is something about a pregnant belly that must make people hopped up!

that being said - the pregnant belly and woman DOES seem to erase any and all ideas of personal space (ugh - i saw a maternity shirt that says "If you touch my belly i am totally gonna grab your boob" - i think i just might buy it LOL)

but than i try to remind myself that there is something just irresistible about that beautiful bump and people really just want to be a part of it - even for just a quick second....

the snarky remarks are what get me.... wow you look like you are going to POP! and - are you sure you arent having twins?? and havent you had that baby YET??

i sometimes think people think they can say what they want b/c they feel it isnt OUR fault we are huge (like they would never comment about someone who is just overweight....) it is due to baby and it i will go away eventually.

who the heck knows, but it sure is rude and annoying
January 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Quote:
havent you had that baby YET??
Ugh, I hate this one too. No, no I haven't, but thanks for reminding me! Like we don't think about it enough in those last few months

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

January 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here ya go!

Have you had that baby yet?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search