What are your memorized or go to recipes?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
aitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just made scones which I never use a recipe for and it got me thinking - what are the recipes you don't even think about?

Scones
- you can add whatever you like to this basic recipe. If you want a savory (cheese is yummy!) scone, leave out the sugar.
oven at 425F
8oz self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1oz sugar
2oz butter
150ml milk

Sift flour, salt and baking powder, stir in sugar, rub in butter. Add milk. Work quickly to form dough, leave 15 mins. Press out 1/2" thick, cut, bake 10-12 mins.

Basic Sponge Cake.
I use this as my base for almost everything! It's definitely more of an English style victoria sandwich style cake.

Oven at 425F

Weigh eggs.
Equal amount of sugar, self raising flour, butter.
1tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, add flour.

Pour into greased cake pan and cook until done - about 20 mins for 8" pan
February 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mmmmm scones. I haven't had those in a long time. I like to put fruit or dried dates in mine, so yummy.

My lasagna recipe is memorized, as is my turkey noodle soup. Everyone really likes my lasagna so I finally wrote it up to share.

9 Lasagna noodles, boiled
1 pound lean ground beef
4 breakfast sausage links – maple flavor
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 green or red pepper, chopped (optional)
2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce, or the equivalent of homemade
1 thing of ricotta cheese, the full fat stuff (the big container, forgot the amount)
1 egg
Dry parsley
Garlic powder
Italian Seasoning
4 cups Shredded Mozzarella

1. Boil the lasagna noodles, drain and rinse in cold water (for easier handling).

2. Brown the ground beef and sausages, removing the casing from sausage first. Drain fat and set meat into large mixing bowl.

3. Sauté onions, garlic and peppers until soft, about three-five minutes, making sure not to burn garlic. Toss mushrooms in at the last minute, and then add everything to the bowl of meat.

4. Add sauce to meat/veggie mixture. Give a few good shakes of garlic powder and Italian Seasoning, plus salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

5. In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese with egg, and a liberal amount of parsley (I just eyeball it).

5. Layering: on the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 glass baking dish, put just enough of the sauce mixture to coat the bottom, and then do the first layer of noodles. (Three noodles per layer). Add about half of the sauce mixture over the first layer of noodles, than do the second layer of noodles. Smooth the cheese mixture over pasta to coat evenly before adding the last layer of noodles. Finish up with the rest of the sauce mixture and top with about 4 cups of mozzarella cheese.

6. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.

It's the maple breakfast sausage links that makes the dish. Sounds weird I know, but one time I threw them in by mistake and it was SO good, so for a long time it was my secret ingredient.
February 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
aitch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dried fruit is really good in them - that's actually what I just made.

Maple sausage? I'll have to try it. Who'd have thought it?!
February 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah fruit in scones is so good, I really don't like them without fruit of some sort.

It sounds really weird to put that kind of sausage in, but it just makes the recipe. So far this is now my mom's recipe, my brother's ex, my friend and her mom...and her mom shared it with her church group I guess. I have to admit that felt good when she told me that.
February 10th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Veteran
my greek egg and lemon soup

its so easy and so good my16 year old will eat half a pot if I dont watch him if anyone wants the recipe let me know
April 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Sjbates72, Can I have a recipe please , I need to feed them something new and your soup sounds delicious!!!

Tags
feeding the pride , march 11 recipes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search