Crafty bow making mamas...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Happy Mommy
you probably already know, but Hobby Lobby as all their ribbons 50% off this week

(just what I needed a new excuse to buy more ribbons) Oh and, I didn't think the hair clips were on sale, but she rang them up at 50% off also (the french clips is what I got today, but If they really are 50% I'm gonna go back for alligator clips as well)

Just thought I'd pass that along...
February 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I wish I were crafty. We don't even have Hobby Lobby's here, though.
February 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks Ro for the tip....!! Yeah that's me....I found out we are having a girl last Monday and I already have 38 hairbows made!! I have a serious problem!!! I appreciate the tip....but we have no hobby lobbies in charleston, sc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

February 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Happy Mommy
no Hobby Lobbys? What do you all have for craft stores then?
February 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'd never heard of Hobby Lobby until I moved to Colorado, so I don't think they're as well known or as everywhere as Michael's and Joanne's.

I've been wanting alligator clips though, so I'll have to go look and see. I don't know if I'm having a girl or not, but I'm getting a niece in June!

February 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my closest Hobby Lobby is about 2 hours from here. I go to Joanns, Michaels, AC Moore. But mainly Joanns cause they are the only one that sales fabric. But I also buy a lot of my fabric online.

February 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
Happy Mommy
Yeah locally we just have Hobby Lobby and Joannes, but the ribbon selection at Joannes compared to HObby Lobby is almost nothing. now fabric Joannes has the hold on that.

There is Michaels but the closest one is like 90 minutes away.
February 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did look up Hobby Lobby I had never heard of it......there is one in south carolina but it is 84 miles away!!! LOL....I go to Michaels, AC Moore, and there is Hancock Fabrics here...no Joann Fabric which I thought was weird......(I am originally from Pittsburgh and there are Joann's there)

Anyways...Just an FYI I got most of my ribbon at WALMART it was actually cheaper than the fabric stores?.....I just bought a couple rolls but I did the buy by the yard for others....it was only like 34 cents per yard!!.....

February 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Happy Mommy
I dont' shop at Walmart. but I'm glad you got a good deal.
February 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How are you all making your bows? I make my daughters but there are a million different kind of bows...I"m always looking to find a new way to to things!

February 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well I am just a beginner so I have only learned to make 2 different kinds so far. ....sorry I don't know how to post the link......SUPER EASY though!!!

How To Make A Hair Bow Easy! Perfect for Girls or Teens - Simple Step By Step Instructions

ok that is the title of the video on youtube that I used...she is making a leopard print bow.....I hope you find the right one....I went straight to youtube and typed in girl teen bow b/c I knew those words were in the title and lets just say there was aLOT of stuff that was NOT appropriate to what I was looking for!! Try googling it ......really easy though all you need is ribbon, lighter, glue gun!!! ENJOY!!

February 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Happy Mommy
Yep I make that kind, I liek them the best for every day use for them to wear with their uniforms (ha I just started but that's the kind I bought the most of) and thenlittle ones like this:

Team Colors Hair Clippies Set of 4 NBA by MonkeySeeAndMonkeyDo
February 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made ONE clip like that sports clip one too!!! Very Funny!! the only reason I didn't make more is well.....one, she probably won't have too much hair for awhile to wear any of them as actual bows!!! I plan on clipping them to a headband to start!!! and #2 I didn't have the right size ribbon to do more.....It was a little too big....But I plan on making LOTS LOTS more!! I can't BELIEVE what people charge for these clips!! I think they are SOOOOO MUCH fun to make and I just do it while I watch tv!! My daughter will never wear the same hairbow twice in a YEAR at the rate I am going!!!

I also made a couple of the spike cheer bows....i can't seem to find the video i used to learn how....once I find it I will post again.....

Anyone have tips on how to make the cute boutique bows....that is the next style I am going to try!!!

February 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
THanks for the links! I'll have to post some of the ones I follow alter. I have the mini-Bowdabra (buy it at Michael's when you have a 50 off coupon) that I use, and I've made a few corker bows. It's fun!

February 22nd, 2011, 03:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah thats another one I want to make is the corker bows....do you make your own corker ribbon or do you buy it somewhere.? I saw a video online how to make and it is REALLY simple but I didn't see it for sale in any of my craft stores?

February 22nd, 2011, 04:51 AM
Happy Mommy
as far as I know you can't buy corker ribbon from a store, but you can make it at home. or you can find people on etsy or ebay that have made corker ribbon and will sell it to you.
February 22nd, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can make them with any kind of ribbon. Here's a tutorial:

http://www.theribbonretreat.com/cust...bonandBows.pdf

I haven't gotten around to buying dowels so I haven't done the baking method. I made mine using liquid starch. I wrap the ribbon tightly around a pencil and secure it, and soak it in liquid starch. Let it dry and you have a cute wound ribbon. It won't last forever, since it's not heat set, but I made my daughter's valentine's day headband last year and it's still set (and I used a wider ribbon). Will have to take a pic...

February 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks Girl ....yeah I saw the baking method.....Is that what you mean heat set if I bake the ribbon will it last then?.....If I am making all of these Ribbons I want them to LAST!!!

February 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Not to burst your bubble but you will lose a lot of them...lol! My daughter has mangled a bunch of hers (hello pasta sauce!), tossed them out on stroller walks, chewed on them. That's a big reason I make them...I got so tired of her losing $4 hair bows! At least this way when they get lost/destroyed I can just pull out my ribbon and make another.

February 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Happy Mommy
yep, if you bake them they last FOREVER!! (trust me this I know, have some from L and shes 8.5 years now)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search