Shopping Cart Covers

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, when I was preggo with DS I never saw these things, and would never even consider one, however, this time around I see them everywhere! Do you have one or will you get one?
February 22nd, 2011, 04:30 AM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw those at babies r us. I think if I saw one in action, it might change my mind... but as of right now I don't plan on it.

February 22nd, 2011, 06:10 AM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES! I had one with DS and loved it. OMG, those shopping carts are FILLED with germs, and they are just so yucky! They actually did some kind of news report on how dirty there were and tested carts at Target, among other places. They actually found feces on more than one cart. This babe will be using a shopping cart cover for sure!

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
February 22nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put one in my registry.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lindsey, I think that's why I always take the bleach wipes and thoroughly wipe down the seat and handle bars before I put DS in them. Besides, aren't you then exposing your child to the germs in the cart whenever you put the cart cover in your car?
February 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They are cute, but just a huge mess to me. I plan to wipe the cart down with a wipe. Plus, kids need to be exposed to some germs....and I don't even want to think of all the germs I would be bringing home when I take the cover out of the cart to stick in the car, at least with the kids clothes they will get washed after each use.

February 22nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got one as a shower gift (didn't register for it) and I have used in esp. in the winter when I know bugs are going around (for example the stomach flu). I wash it between uses and it isn't near her once it comes off the cart until it's clean so that is how we prevent 'cross contamination'.

I'm a firm believer that kids need to be exposed to some germs and my DD definitely is (at the park, at the mall, at her play groups) but there's just something about shopping carts that make my stomach crawl, seeing people coughing and sneezing on their hands and then pushing the cart with their hands.... belck.

February 22nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one from DD. We used it about 3 times. LOL I actually liked it a lot I just always forgot about it or it was just annoying to carry her and the thing in the store and then insert it in the cart and put the wiggly baby just right in there and bla bla... I can imagine it will only be 10 times more difficult with 2 babies so who knows. I'll keep it and see if I decide to use it again or not.

February 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
I won't use shopping cart covers or high chair covers or any of those things. I'll probably just carry around wipes, but I feel like a little germs never hurt anything.

February 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyp1019 View Post
YES! I had one with DS and loved it. OMG, those shopping carts are FILLED with germs, and they are just so yucky! They actually did some kind of news report on how dirty there were and tested carts at Target, among other places. They actually found feces on more than one cart. This babe will be using a shopping cart cover for sure!
Yeah..... see I'm totally cool with my kids touching some germs but I don't want them touching other people's feces.... yuk!! Definitely think there's a line between healthy exposure/inoculation and risky infectious exposure, KWIM? Like I wouldn't knowingly let me kid play with raw meat juice....

February 22nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just think of someone going to the bathroom, not washing their hands then pushing the cart around Some germs are okay, like the PP said, you go to the playground, the mall, daycare ect... Plus, I don't see how you would get the germs in the car, you pick the cover up from the inside (where your child sits) pull it off and put it in the trunk. Then pick it up the same way. I rarely touch the bottom side, and I ran it through the wash frequently too.

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
February 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
I'd planned on it but in the end there was enough hassle just getting her out of the carseat and into the cart. I think I still want one, but we didn't use one with DD.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I want one! We've never used one with DD but I always love them when I see others using them.

February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its to much work. And I carry the baby in a moby until they are a lot older...so right now my toddler would just rip it off and hes only just started riding in the cart all the time.

I just don't think about the germs. I hate the bleach wipes just as much. So I ignore it.
February 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRN View Post
I got one as a shower gift (didn't register for it) and I have used in esp. in the winter when I know bugs are going around (for example the stomach flu). I wash it between uses and it isn't near her once it comes off the cart until it's clean so that is how we prevent 'cross contamination'.

I'm a firm believer that kids need to be exposed to some germs and my DD definitely is (at the park, at the mall, at her play groups) but there's just something about shopping carts that make my stomach crawl, seeing people coughing and sneezing on their hands and then pushing the cart with their hands.... belck.

I love ours! Makenna is 2 1/2 and we still use it
February 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Sue46's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I registered for one and hope I get it. I fully intend on using it!

February 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Reading this I had a thought: How long will it be before they are selling personal, collapsible shopping carts at BRU? I can see it now. They're being touted as the latest must have for healthy babies!

I already clean carts before I use them. If the store doesn't provide wipes, I whip out my hand sanitizer and slather it over the handle. I plan on being a baby-wearing momma. So I'm not super concerned with the cover just yet. I think I may end up getting one later on.

But I'm so weirded out by the people in my city, I'll probably clean the cart and THEN put the cover on.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

February 22nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
My last baby I got one (used from ebay) though I had never used one with my other kids. It wasn't for germ reasons though it was hard to keep him from teething and chewing on the cart handle, but because he somehow always would fall asleep while I was shopping and had nothing but cold metal bars to lay his head on. AFter I got the cover, it was easier for him to lay his head to the side (its s fluffy kind of one) and I don't worry about it.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)
February 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use a disinfecting wipe on my cart every time I use one. I try to avoid putting my baby in a cart. I prefer using a sling or stroller, but I have a cart cover to use when I can't avoid it(I wash after each shopping trip out). I use a disinfecting wipe first, then put my cart cover on it. I don't care how crazy I look. My kids get plenty of germs from other things.

February 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran
I try to use wipes but have been caught without them a few times. Last weekend I caught DS with his mouth on the handle- GROSS!!! Lately I've been thinking about getting one, but I'm still not sure I'd use it enough.

For those of you that have them, how often do you wash it?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search