We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I had a regularly scheduled appointment yesterday morning with my perinatologist. We had a friend keep the kids so DH could go with m. We got there and started the ultrasound just to check things out before checking my cervical length. We got some great shots of the baby - he's even more adorable this week!
So then we did the cervical length check. It has again shortened. I didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Yes, it's changed, but not a drastic amount in my opinion. His concern was that I'm now consistently below 2.5 cm even with no pressure, lying down, and resting. The problem with that is the cervical length is below 2.5 cm especially at an early gestational age the chances of preterm labor are increased. Also, when there is such a short cervix left the cervix shortens at a faster rate due to it being weaker especially under pressure. Because of this he decided it was time to start the steroid injections for the baby's lungs and development. He also was concerned about some leaking and it possibly being amniotic fluid. I was quite certain that it wasn't amniotic fluid, but he wanted to make sure so he sent the report over to my OB. She told me that she'd rather me go be admitted into labor and delivery at the hospital so we could the results more quickly and to get my steroids there. She doesn't have the steroids to give so I'd have to get a prescription filled for them and then bring them in to be given to me so felt this was easier, faster, and better for the situation. Needless to say I was less than thrilled about going to the hospital.
The test came back negative so it's not amniotic fluid I'm leaking which is a great thing obviously. I also got my steroid injection and was then told to spend the night in L&D so I could get my next shot the following day, but if I wanted to I could go home and come back for it tomorrow. Naturally I chose to go home. Who would actually choose to stay there if they have the opportunity to go home anyway? Unfortunately, though, I will have to be admitted into another room tomorrow to get the shot. I told them they could do it in the hallway, and I wouldn't mind, but they didn't go for that. Then I had to wait for almost an hour for transport to come and get me because they said I couldn't leave without the wheelchair due to what is going on with me. It was a little crazy, but I waited. Poor DH was doing laps around the hospital with the kids in the car trying to keep them entertained while he waited for me to get down there. Finally I called the nurse to make sure I hadn't been forgotten, and the sweet nurse who gave me my shot decided she'd take me herself so I finally got out of there. Now I have to go back at about 4 PM today for round 2, but hopefully that is ALL we'll be doing there. Being at home I'm even more thankful for my comfortable bed and couch (even though all I do everyday is lie on them both) after spending way too much time in a horrible hospital bed and room.
I'm getting a little nervous now because it was about 2 weeks from now that I was put on hospital bed rest with DD because of my cervix being funneled to 0.7 cm short and then I went into labor that night. I see my OB next week and then my peri the following Monday (so 2 weeks from yesterday). I'm anxious to hopefully get good news because so far my cervix has been following along with what it did with DD despite the extra measures we've taken to help this time that we didn't get to before with her. Contractions don't even occur once an hour thanks to my 17P injections, but that hasn't made a difference it seems.
Last edited by Motsy2006; February 22nd, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Dang, what a mess! I so sorry you are going through this.
Was your DD a preemie? I really hope you are able to hold on for a while longer. It is much to early for these babies to start arriving!
Good luck with your injection today! I hope it goes smooth and you are in and out!
Yes, she was a preemie, but the steroids were so great for her! She didn't need any NICU visit at all. She was just perfect! But we held her off until 35 weeks. They're not sure if we can do that again this time, but I have faith we can!
Sending many T&P your way! I know what a struggle it is your going through as we have both shortened cervix and are on bedrest. You did an awesome job with your 1st one ....I am confident you can do it again !! : )
Lots of "keep baking!" vibes headed your way!!! I'm sorry you are going through all this... it sounds like you're getting great care though, and had a great outcome with your DD despite similar issues, so I am very hopeful for you!
I'm so sorry things aren't going all that great. I hope your cervix doesn't shorten too fast for you and that the baby stays in until 35 weeks for you. I'm sending lots of stay put baby vibes your way. Good Luck Mama!