First time mom need some help with registry

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Ladies,

There are SOOOOO Many different baby things on the market. they can't ALL be neccessary. do you really need a bouncer, swing, walker, and a play yard?

Which do you prefer? I assume I will want play yard and I am thinking the swing? I have two medium/large dogs Lab/Pit Bull mix & German Shorthair Mix. I don't really like the little bouncers cuz they are so low to the ground......what do you suggest?

Thanks!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

February 22nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Lo_and_Behold's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well you won't need a walker till later on anyway so it's not something you'd need to register for. We bought one & I think my daugher used it twice, if that.

The swing was a must-have for the first couple of months. It helped calm her when she was colicky & it helped her be at a good angle that eased her acid reflux. It also gave us a good place to keep her when we ate dinner (although in the first 6-8 weeks we just had to take turns eating & holding her). We have the Fisher Price lamb one...it's cute

The bouncer was another absolute must for us. My daughter will be 2 next month & if she sees it in her room, she still wants to sit in it. LOL It was great for strapping her in while I cleaned, cooked, etc. It was also great for feeding because she wasn't always big on being in the high chair. I went all out & got this Eddie Bauer one thinking it looked perfect, but when she got here, it was just all wrong so I ended up selling it on Craigslist & bought a Fisher Price one for like $30...half the cost of the EB one. So you don't always have to get the most expensive for it to be the most effective.

A playard...you mean pack & play? We definitely used that a lot in the beginning. My daughter slept with us from the beginning & still does, but whenever she wasn't sleeping with us, she'd sleep on the bassinet portion of the PnP. Once she outgrew that, the whole thing became obsolete for us. I don't even know where it is! We had one from Chicco & I liked it because it had vibration, lullabies, & a night light.

Regardless of how well you plan & how many opinions you get, you will still find yourself on last minute trips to the store to get things you didn't realize/think you needed & there will be plenty of things you got that you thought were essential that aren't. It's just trial & error. Just allow leeway in the budget because it'll be blown out of the water

February 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran
We got a bouncer/swing all in one, you could take the seat part out of the swing and it was a bouncer and it also vibrated. I liked it because so many people told me that if you get just one and your baby doesn't take to it, then you end up going out to buy the other anyway, so I bought as many 3 in 1, 2 in 1 things as I could to help save space. We didn't buy a walker, like the ones they sit in and walk, we had like an excosaucer and then a jumparoo and DS loved the jumparoo. We did get a pack n play and that is what DS slept in for the first 2.5 months until he slept through the night and then I would use it at nap time sometimes or when we would go to my parents house for the night, that is what he slept in until he got too big for it - which was sooner than I expected because he was such a long baby but I think we got a good 9 months or so out of it.
February 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All you really need is a place to sit the baby while you do things. IMO, you don't need a bouncer AND a swing. A swing can do the same thing as a bouncer, but it takes it a step further. Plus a swing lasts longer than a bouncer. We bought a swing, and were completely satisfied with that.
We didn't buy a walker, we bought a jumperoo. We didn't need it until DD was 6 months, so we didn't register for it.

February 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally used my swings, pack-n-play and bouncy seats religiously with the twins. The swings were great for the morning nap time - I'd get up at 5-6 a.m. to feed them and then they'd go in the swings and sleep for 2-3 more hours (as did mom, LOL). I don't know how important sleep is to you but those extra few hours were like gold to me and I owe them to the swings! I'd also use the swings every once in awhile for the girls to sleep in if I couldn't get them to sleep in the cribs. Maddie had really bad reflux and a liver infection, and I think laying flat was tough for her on some nights.

Pack-n-play was perfect for when you visit the in-laws, go to family events, etc., because it's a portable place to sleep (and then play as they get older). I personally would just get a simple pack-n-play with an adjustable bassinet bottom - the extra changing stations, diaper holders, music players, etc. really aren't necessary and are a PITA to pack up when you want to take the PnP somewhere.

And then bouncy seats were great for occupying the girls when I was doing dishes, eating, etc. and for keeping them upright after feeding if they were gassy or fussy.

Every baby is different and what your baby will like will depend not only on their natural disposition but also the routine that you get them into. But for me, those three items were must-haves. In addition to the swings, bouncy seats and pack-n-play also registered for my breast pump, bath tub, stroller, car seat, rocking glider, baby monitor, activity mat, diaper pail and tabletop changing pad. That's about it. It really doesn't take nearly as much stuff to raise a baby as Babies R Us would like us to think .

IMHO opinion, do not register for mobiles, wipes warmers, bottles (these are a personal choice and ultimately baby will decide what type he/she likes if you choose to introduce them), toys, clothes (except maybe staples like plain packs of onesies, packs of socks, etc. - people will buy you cutesy outfits that THEY like no matter what you register for), or bath/HBA products. Use the registry to hopefully get the big items that you need and then use cash/gift cards to pick up smaller, more personal choice items like baby wash, bottles, diapering ointment, special outfits, etc. Oh, and don't be afraid to register for diapers and wipes - you'll need them, LOL!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

February 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
I freaking LOVED my swing! My son would fall asleep in it, if I was up with him in the middle of the night sometimes I would just put him in there and crash on the couch! We still have it so I won't need to get a new one. I have one that rocks from side to side OR front/back, and I found that he liked the side to side a lot better.

ETA: with DD I had a swing/bouncer combo and never used the bouncer part. If I had to put her down I just used the Boppy, same with DS.
February 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice ladies.....

February 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
My kids used walkers, but you won't need that right away. I wouldn't even put it on your registry. As for the playyard, I don't like them personally. I think babies need to be able to explore and learn their limits. I don't mind them for a quick place for baby to sleep, but I hate seeing babies penned up in play pens.

I like bouncers. Yes, they're low to the ground, but if you're on the floor playing with baby, they're just fine.

Oh and swings. Totally depends on the kid. I would get one, but my Daniel hated his swing, whereas Sarah lived in hers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search