Flying and travelling with baby...

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
I am taking my DD to Florida this week. Any tips on flying with a baby? Do you think I should check the stroller at the gate or when we check in? Do you think it would be easier to take DD through the airport with a carrier instead of the stroller? I am debating about whether or not to bring my pump. I prefer to just breastfeeding my daughter, but my mom seems to think my grandparents (who we are visiting) will be uncomfortable with me breastfeeding when we are out to dinner. She thinks I should bring my pump and bring a bottle when we go out with my grandparents... normally I would make a big deal out of this, but a part of me feels like just going with the flow... I thought about bringing a manual pump so I don't have to drag my pump in style with me, but am not sure if I will get enough milk with the manual. Any advice would help
March 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
LalaCupit's Avatar Super Mommy
It's less likely to get damaged if you gate check it.

I wouldn't bring the pump. It's just more to pack. Grandparents usually understand BF'ing since it was more common in their day. At least that's what I've experienced.

March 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm..I've only traveled with my daughter when she was 3. I know if you have a stroller you have to fold it up and put it on the security belt. Will you be using the carseat on the plane? If not, maybe easier to check carseat and stroller at check-in and just carry your baby in a sling or whatever you choose to go through security. You may need to put that sling/wrap through the security belt but easier to do that than the stroller and carseat.
Also, if it were ME, I'd not bring the pump and bottles, just a nice nursing cover. Will they really care? For me pumping is such a tedious thing, that I would never do it unless I had to. Right now I'm trying to stock up for when I go back to work (and date nights, etc) and I can NOT make myself do it! So much easier to nurse!!
March 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
austinmommy3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have flown with all mine. Gate check the stroller, and you don't have to fold it up and put it on the security belt, they can wand it. I also would check my infant car seat/carrier at the gate when I was still using it. The only thing they like for you to do is just fold the stroller and set to the side right before you step on the plane.

March 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Alv07's Avatar Veteran
I am flying next week, and was planning on carrying the baby in a sling to make it easier with trying to get through security, and the airport. I am also planning on bringing my pump, because I am still a bit insecure about nursing in public. I am also making too much milk, and I do not want to be engorged the whole time, or worry about soaking through the pads in my bra.
March 22nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
AJ's Mom's Avatar Veteran
We fly all the time as our family is far. I think DS1 who is 3 has been on 10-12 different vacations that required air travel. For sure gate check the stroller - it is super easy to get through security and it is a great place to put all your carry ons in the airport so you have your hands free to deal with baby.

Alv07 - you will have to take baby out of the sling to go through security so while it may seem easier - it is just as big a pain if not more than a stroller. The sling will have to go through the x-ray machine and so will the stroller (or get wand-ed). We went out and bought a nice umbrella stroller that laid completely flat instead of bringing our large stroller with car seat - so unless you need the car seat at the other end I wouldn't bother with it.

If you do need it - all airlines have to let you check a car seat for free - they CANNOT charge you for it like they do other bags so this is a great option.

DS1 would fall instantly asleep once we started moving - but sitting waiting for take off is the WORST. Have your SO get on the plane when they call your section with the stroller and all your bags. He can fold up the stroller for gate check and make sure you get overhead space for your carry ons. You keep the baby and get on at the LAST possible minute.

Also - make sure that you have everything baby needs - diapers, nursing cover or bottles, chew toys, etc in a bag small enough to fit under the seat so you have access the whole flight. We also found it easier to change little ones on our seats than on the crappy changing table in the tiny bathroom.

PM me if you have any questions.
March 22nd, 2011, 10:59 AM
GraysMommy's Avatar Veteran
First off THANK YOU Midwifemama for asking this question as i have been dreading flying from California to Asheville to see my father w/ Gray. Also AJ's Mom your reply was so helpful!

I have also been told you cab rent carseats from most rental car companies so if you are planning on renting a car the good news is you can leave the car seat it home!

I have a great but HUGE Bob stroller. I think i see a umbrella stroller in my near future.

I think i am going to try and beg my mother to come with me the first time we fly i just can't imagine how i could do this on my own!

March 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
austinmommy3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's Mom View Post
We fly all the time as our family is far. I think DS1 who is 3 has been on 10-12 different vacations that required air travel. For sure gate check the stroller - it is super easy to get through security and it is a great place to put all your carry ons in the airport so you have your hands free to deal with baby.

Alv07 - you will have to take baby out of the sling to go through security so while it may seem easier - it is just as big a pain if not more than a stroller. The sling will have to go through the x-ray machine and so will the stroller (or get wand-ed). We went out and bought a nice umbrella stroller that laid completely flat instead of bringing our large stroller with car seat - so unless you need the car seat at the other end I wouldn't bother with it.

If you do need it - all airlines have to let you check a car seat for free - they CANNOT charge you for it like they do other bags so this is a great option.

DS1 would fall instantly asleep once we started moving - but sitting waiting for take off is the WORST. Have your SO get on the plane when they call your section with the stroller and all your bags. He can fold up the stroller for gate check and make sure you get overhead space for your carry ons. You keep the baby and get on at the LAST possible minute.

Also - make sure that you have everything baby needs - diapers, nursing cover or bottles, chew toys, etc in a bag small enough to fit under the seat so you have access the whole flight. We also found it easier to change little ones on our seats than on the crappy changing table in the tiny bathroom.

PM me if you have any questions.
Ahhh yes, forgot about those crappy changing tables! It's been a while! I always used my full size stroller with the carseat, because I always need it on the other end. I have a different inline stroller this time, so at Easter when we fly to Belize I am checking his infant seat when we check luggage, and leaving the regular seat on the stroller to use since the seats interchange on the stroller.

A wrap or a sling is IMHO a HUGE PIA over having a stroller! Also depending on the Airline, some allow you to have a couple of extra carry ons when traveling with babies/kids.

I usually fly with the kiddos by myself and Chris meets up later. One handy thing they have usually let me do when Chris isn't with me to take everything on the plane, is they let me pre board get everything put away, and then let me back off with the kids until everyone has boarded so that they don't have to sit there and lose their minds while people are boarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysMommy View Post
First off THANK YOU Midwifemama for asking this question as i have been dreading flying from California to Asheville to see my father w/ Gray. Also AJ's Mom your reply was so helpful!

I have also been told you cab rent carseats from most rental car companies so if you are planning on renting a car the good news is you can leave the car seat it home!

I have a great but HUGE Bob stroller. I think i see a umbrella stroller in my near future.

I think i am going to try and beg my mother to come with me the first time we fly i just can't imagine how i could do this on my own!
You can totally do it! You just have to be organized, but really it isn't so awful by yourself.

March 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Alv07's Avatar Veteran
Thank you so much AJ's Mom, and Austinmommy for the advice. I think I figured it would be easier to take the baby in and out of the sling when I have to go through security. I was also worried, because my stroller is pretty large. I am definitely not looking forward to flying, but I am thankful that our flight is only 2 hours. I think the upcoming months will be filled with us having to travel, so hopefully we will get some sort of system down. Also, do you recommend getting an aisle seat?
March 22nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
midwifemama's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I am going to gate check the stroller and check the car seat with the baggage. I'll let you know how it goes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search