Qotd: 3.22.11

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2011, 08:28 AM
Aimee MommyX3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Aimee MommyX3 Send a message via Skype™ to Aimee MommyX3
Will you raise your children the same way you were raised? Why or why not? What are some things you will do differently? The same?
March 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
Not the exact same way, but there are some things I will borrow. I do not want to spank because I still have horrible memories of it. My mom also was a little nuts when I got to be a teenager, for typical teen stuff she would ground me 6 months right off the bat which gave me NO incentive to behave and taught me nothing.

Some things I will borrow- an emphasis on education. Both my parents had Masters degrees and it was never a question in my mind that I'd go to college. They complemented each other since they were both strong in different areas, so I came out pretty well rounded. That's how DF and I are so I'm happy about that. Manners is a big thing too, I was the most polite child and I want my kids to know how to act in a variety of situations (age appropriately of course). I also remember my Dad being very interactive playing with me(even with Barbies!) and I want to be the same way with my children.

March 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
LalaCupit's Avatar Super Mommy
Will you raise your children the same way you were raised? Sort of.

Why or why not? I like some things they did, but not others.

What are some things you will do differently? Allow sleepovers, my Dad never allowed it. He's Mr. Safety Man and didn't want to be responsible for other peoples' kids. Parent with Love & Logic vs. automatic punishment. DH will be/is very involved in parenting, whereas my Dad was more just an authority figure.

The same? Limit TV and video games. Completely pay for their college education, and living expenses while in college. DH and I believe strongly in this. Let them try any extra activity/sport they want to, until they find what they love. Be strict as far as manners and being respectful.

Last edited by LalaCupit; March 22nd, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
March 22nd, 2011, 09:50 AM
austinmommy3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I raise my children very similarly to how my nanny raised my brother and I. My parents weren't very active in our upbringing. We had Josephine whom I loved dearly and she took care of my brother and I from birth till we went to college. I am somewhat strict, the kids have chores, and are very mannerly and respectful of others. I have friends who think we are too strict, but then turn around and comment on how well behaved my kiddos are. We are an active outdoor family, and spend a lot of time outdoors doing family games, camping, etc. Chris loves to get in the floor and play horses with Abbi, Star wars with Zach, and we all have a sick addiction to playing Uno!! I want my children to be able to come to me when they need to talk or for anything in general. I want them to have memories of enjoying their childhood and going fantastic places, that they were loved and our life centered around them and spending time together. I don't have any of those memories with my own parents, and it makes me sad.

March 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
Will you raise your children the same way you were raised?
Other than our extreme love and devotion to our children, my mom and I are as opposite as night and day. I'm much more positive discipline/attachment parenting style and she was much more "tough love". I still have some of that in there, but for the most part I try to be much more understanding and less dramatic with my kids than she was.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

March 22nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
blessedx7's Avatar I <3 my big family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaCupit View Post
Will you raise your children the same way you were raised? Sort of.

Why or why not? I like some things they did, but not others.

What are some things you will do differently? Allow sleepovers, my Dad never allowed it. He's Mr. Safety Man and didn't want to be responsible for other peoples' kids. Parent with Love & Logic vs. automatic punishment. DH will be/is very involved in parenting, whereas my Dad was more just an authority figure.

The same? Limit TV and video games. Completely pay for their college education, and living expenses while in college. DH and I believe strongly in this. Let them try any extra activity/sport they want to, until they find what they love. Be strict as far as manners and being respectful.

I could have copied this to a T. We are very "Love & Logic". Have you read Loving Our Kids on Purpose? A lot along those same lines. We are also very strict when it comes to respect and manners, but that's about it. We also support our kids in anything they want to try until they find their nitch. We have a very limited tv/video game policy and that's possibly the HARDEST part of parenting. It's like a drug my kids crave that I must fight constantly. If I could change anything I have done it would be to go back and never buy my oldest his first game boy. My parents had no control over tv and video games (or what we ate/drank). We were allowed to do whatever and eat whatever we wanted.
ages 15, 13, 11, 8, 8, 4 & Kerrigan born 1-14-11
Our Family Blog: www.thecashcrew.blogspot.com

Kerrigan Elizabeth born on her duedate- 100% natural, hypnobabies, VBA2C

March 22nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
MY step-dad was very cruel to us growing up and left me with a deep sense that nothing I ever did would be good enough for him. I was in law school when i finally figured out he was the problem. My mom is wonderful in so many ways but I really hate that she allowed him to treat my sister and I so badly. I want Natalie to have the polar opposite of my childhood.
March 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
MommyMelissa's Avatar *Melissa*
Pretty much the same. I am not a hitter/spanker though. I might give a little warning tap now n then but thats something Ill leave out. My mother and grandma I believe did a great job raising me so I feel I learned from the best that I know <3
March 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I don't know that I'll be as strict as my parents were. My dad sometimes set rules and restrictions around what the fanatically religious people at work told him and that part we'll leave out. My parents did a wonderful job teaching respect and manners. They also instilled a respect for education and just like Larissa said, it was never a question whether or not I went to college. I also want to teach my kids to take responsibility for their actions as my parents did. I plan to discipline differently and time outs will be used instead of spankings. I have really enjoyed reading about the Love and Logic style of discipline. I would really like to deal with my kids that way, but I'll have to cure myself of that terrible sarcasm streak I have

March 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Rockstarmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm... In some ways, yes. Be respectful, get good grades, be responsible, behave in public, participate in sports and lessons, know that we are loved... All things instilled in me.

However, my parents have a very active social life (I.e. Drinking), a problem particularly with my mom and I will definitely not let alcohol rule my life like that. It caused a lot of unnecessary problems, many of which my mom is oblivious too (or pretends to be).

My childhood was great other than that. However, my DH was raised VERY differently, especially when it comes to finances, meaning my brother and I never wanted for anything and he basically took care of himself. So that may be an area of contention for us, especially since DH is the breadwinner in our household.

Love and support is the basis of our household.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search