Postpartum bleeding getting heavier instead of lighter

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2011, 06:35 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I am a little concerned about the bleeding I've been having. When I came home from the hospital the bleeding I was having was like a period, not really even a heavy period. Well, now a week and a half later the bleeding has picked up a lot. I have been having heavy bleeding and passing clots. I had to switch from regular pads back to the hospital grade ones because I was going through them too quickly and it was getting messy. I think the problem is that I haven't been taking it easy enough so I am going to try to rest for the next few days and see if this helps but I'm a little concerned. Since my placenta abrupted I keep worrying that I may have some retained placental tissue or something. I'm probably doing my typical worrying too much stuff but I think that the bleeding normally starts getting lighter as the days go on and not heavier.

How long did you have heavy bleeding? Does an increase in bleeding at about 10 days past delivery sound normal?

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I had a c-section so I guess its probably different, but my first few days were period like and then for about 6 days I didn't need a pad at all. Now startin on thurs I starting bleeding again and have needed a pad again. I just figured things are moving around and still re adjusting?
Sorry probably not much help...but I remember this happening with my last c-section too.
March 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Allerian's Avatar Veteran
I've been bleeding a lot (I'm on day 6 now) with clots still... but my platelets were and still are low. So I'm still using the big giant maxi pads.

March 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I would be worried ~

This sounds almost like what happened to me after I delivered Justin. They had always told me that if my bleeding gets worse or goes from brown to bright red to call. I was on the brown bleeding when all of the sudden it started to turn bright red and was more like a heavy period. From there I started getting clots, most of them I could feel coming out! I had called the clinic (was 17 at the time with no insurance) and they told me to call back the next day (I believe they were on vacation) that following night, I felt a huge clot coming and I ran to the bathroom. That was it....I huge clot came out and I started to hemorrage right on the toilet. There was blood everywhere. I was also a month pp.

How big are your clots? I would give the doctors a call tomorrow if its not too bad otherwise I wouldnt hesitate to call now and talk to the on-call doctor and definitely STOP overdoing it!

March 27th, 2011, 11:18 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With the abruption I would probably call in. But having it pick up when you start doing more is normal. I can't remember with the others. But with Zane once the hemmoraging stopped it was like a regular period for about a week. Then it became VERY heavy on the 8th day. So heavy I was going to have to go to the ER if it didn't slow down quickly. But it did slow down, but stayed heavier than it had been since the first day he was born. And now yesterday at Day 15 it is much lighter again.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

March 27th, 2011, 12:15 PM
AnnaGr8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good grief, my bleeding has been awful. Several times I thought about calling it was so heavy and clots too but I'd rest for a whole day and it would get lighter and when I got up it was heavy again. I'd say it was heavy for 4 weeks and now at almost 6 weeks it's light bleeding still
March 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Super Mommy
Mine picked up with clots around day 10 too. I could also feel the clots coming out. It slowed down the next day so I never went in. Every time I overdo it, it picks up & starts bright red again. When I slow down, it does too.

If you have pain or tenderness in the abdomen & are soaking a pad in 3 hours or less they told me to call or go to the ER.
March 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Well the bleeding is a lot better today. I have been noticing pain and tenderness though around where my csection scar is though. I am going to take it easy for now and if the bleeding picks up like that again or if I start noticing pain or tenderness again I'll call my OB. I need to call and make my follow up appt anyway so I may just ask while I'm scheduling the appt.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine's been weird as well over the past week. It hasn't gone away to the point of being brown, but it's not like an actual flow either. It looks pretty much like just red spotting, until I go to the bathroom...and then I pass small clots...Sounds like it's different for everyone. I know I read somewhere to call if your clots were too big...but I forget how big is too big. Glad it's back to normal for you now.
March 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM
wintereast's Avatar Theresa334
last time i bled for a while but i had a csection, probably at least 6-8 weeks. and it did get heavier at one point a gush came down and completely soaked through my overnight pad. they told me to rest in bed and if it continued to come in but it wasn't that heavy again. I didn't have clots though just a lot of blood.

I would call just to check though don't want to leave it too long if there is an issue.

March 27th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Lillys_Mommy1010's Avatar Super Mommy
When I was about a week pp I started doing a lot because I felt better and I had a couple incidents where I would stand up and just gush blood that was bright red. The nurse at my OB office said to put my feet up and try not to do too much. I didn't have many clots with it though, just bright red blood. It happened a couple more times, but only when I was really active.

Definitly ask about it when you call though. Better safe than sorry.
March 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine picks up when I do a lot around the house too, and when I rest up it lightens. I really don't remember bleeding like this after having Ayla, but with Liz it took a long time for me to pass my placenta and they said it was huge, and I bled A LOT in the delivery room, enough to need meds through the IV line.

I'm not worried for me, since it's not bright red, dark red but not bright if that makes sense. I will say I'm looking forward to when it tapers off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search