Tested positive on Quad screen... *update post 21*

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Regular
Ob's nurse called me because I tested "positive" for Trisomy 18. I have to meet with me OB tomorrow at 11am and then the peri at 1pm.

I'm scared. Anyone have a false positive?

Last edited by Ians Mommy; April 8th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
April 6th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry hun, how scary. I know some have had scares and it ended up being nothing in our board. What test did they do that came back positive?

April 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Regular
trisomy 18 or "edwards syndrome". It was only a screening, not a diagnoses, so I'm staying positive. they do have my due date messed up so it may contribute. I've been having regular monthly sonos and they have not noticed anything in them.

April 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Happy Mommy
Did they tell you what your ratio is, because that can't give you a positive or negative, only the amnio can do that. if they didn't call back and tell them you want to know the exact ratio they calculated.

April 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
First Timer!!!
((hugs))

try to keep your calmness!! wishing you the best!!!
April 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
mafiamom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here is a link to my hellish ordeal. please please feel free to message me if you want. huge hugs~

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...rs-please.html
April 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I was wondering if you had an amnio done or the blood test. Cause from my understanding it's just that maybe your ratio is closer but that the baby for sure has it. When I googled false positives for it their are a lot out there.

April 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Happy Mommy
oh I just saw where they said your EDD is wrong, that can cause the output to be wrong, beacuse the levels are based on how far along you are. I'd ask them to re run it
April 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard of quite a few false positives.

Try to stay positive. It's not an official diagnoses (if I read your posts right). Good luck at the OBs tomorrow.

April 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I hope it's a mistake. I've missed a lot so sorry if you've already explained, but why are you getting monthly u/s? Most people just get one at the beginning to date or if they've m/c before, and then the one at 20 weeks. So why are you getting monthly ones? And if you're getting monthly ones, they should have had measurements of the baby from the very beginning so how are they wrong about your due date?
April 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
Did they tell you what your ratio is, because that can't give you a positive or negative, only the amnio can do that. if they didn't call back and tell them you want to know the exact ratio they calculated.

Yep, ditto. ((hugs)) I have never had one personally, but I know they are notorious for false positives. Thinking of you!
April 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM
CherZ's Avatar Proud wife and mom....
Send a message via ICQ to CherZ
Thinking of you....
April 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My intergrated screening came back high for Down's Syndrome, I totally freaked out, went for my ultrasound and my little princess looks PERFECT! We opted out of an amnio, but the peri said said she agreed with our decision. Praying for you and your little one- sometimes I think those tests are more stressful than they're worth! KUP!

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
April 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~ Joni ~* View Post
I hope it's a mistake. I've missed a lot so sorry if you've already explained, but why are you getting monthly u/s? Most people just get one at the beginning to date or if they've m/c before, and then the one at 20 weeks. So why are you getting monthly ones? And if you're getting monthly ones, they should have had measurements of the baby from the very beginning so how are they wrong about your due date?
My Dr does a sono for each trimester in "high risk" pregnancies (I'm 32) but since there was a mix up in the due date calculation I got a few extra. The nurses used the due date wheel thing based off a 28 day cycle and I have a longer 34 day cycle, so at my "8 week" sono I was really 7 weeks. Then I went for my 12 week sono but I was really 11 weeks and had to go back at 13 weeks to do my end of the 1st trimester sono. Then I just did my quad screening and sono for this "screening". At the 13 week one, the sono tech confirmed that I was right about my due date...although me, the sono tech and my OB know I'm a week off from the due date wheel thing, the nurses still use that dumb wheel to judge gestational age. So I'm hoping the is why it's off. PLUS they factor in age.

April 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope they figure it out! KUP!

Thanks Claire for my awesome siggy!!

April 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know that there is a high false positive rate and edwards is really rare so the odds are certainly in your favor. I am thinking of you!
April 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Keep your chin up! We're all thinking about you and your little baby!
April 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs))

Lucky mother to five!

April 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I think those tests are more accurate for the neural tube defects than they are for the trisomies. And if you think about it, even with the higher ratios the odds are in your favor (if you've got from 1 in 300 to 1 in 100 for instance, there's still a 99% chance your baby is perfectly fine).

Hopefully all that happens is you get a "bonus" ultrasound out of it!

April 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always heard that the quad screening causes more worry than relief and is notorious for giving you certain odds when really your baby is just fine. That being said, I ended up doing it only after they noticed the cyst on the u/s and told me the quad screening would give me more accurate odds as to whether I should worry about it or not.

How do they gather that 32 is considered a high risk age? Yikes, that still seems young to me Keep us posted, I will keep you in my T&P's mama.

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search