Quick question about gender

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hear that the male sperm ultimately decides the gender - is this correct? I'm wondering as there hasn't been a girl on my DH's side of the family for over 61 years!! So, should I just immediately expect boy for me also? I'm so curious and it's been bugging me.
April 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
There are two types of sperm. X sperm and Y sperm. Women carry the X gene, you need XX for a girl and XY for a boy. Gender is determined by which sperm fertilizes the ovum first, whether it be an X (girl) or a Y (boy) sperm.

They say that Y sperm is faster but dies faster, where as X sperm is slower but lives longer. Hope that helps.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Laurel. Whichever sperm fertilizes the egg 100% determines the sex.

Humans have 46 chromosomes, in 23 pairs of 2. When sex cells divide, they each get one copy of each chromosome instead of 2. This also explains why your kids don't necessarily look alike - they get a random set of 23 from each of you!

Females carry 2 X chromosomes. Eggs have 1 of each of your 23 sets of chromosomes, so each has to be X.

Males are XY. Sperm also have 1 of each of your 23 sets of chromosomes, so one is X and one is Y.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

April 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Just popping over from the Oct DDC.

My DF's family also has had no girls born to the family in more generations than anyone can remember. I suspect it must be something genetic! Their male sperm seem to be dominate! lol

I will be shocked if I'm told this baby is a girl. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a girl and break that tradition...but I am totally expecting a boy! lol

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

April 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
JeCaLe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are in the same boat here - no girls on DH's side of the family at all. We still have hope though!

April 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
the other ladies explained things nicely.. I dont think you should just expect to have a boy, just casue his family hasnt had a girl in so long. It all depends on your DH and you.. My DHs family has 3 times more boys than girls, and we still had a girl..

April 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Mum2LGandC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other ladies gave you great explanations.

There hadn't been a boy on my side of the family for 50 years when DS was born. I know that I had no effect on that, but it was pretty crazy. DH does not have any brothers (has 2 sisters) and now he has 2 boys and 1 girl so we shall see what this one is.

April 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with my second, I thought for sure it was a boy...100% sure...there hadn't been a girl born in my ex husbands family in a crazy amount of time...like 100 years...maybe not 100 but it was more than 50 or 60....and we had a girl!!!! I was so positive it was gonna be a boy...and it was gonna be here before Christmas, I almost bought a personalized Christmas ornament...good thing I didn't, she was born December 27 and was DEFINATELY not a boy!! LOL

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 7th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandaleana View Post
When I was pregnant with my second, I thought for sure it was a boy...100% sure...there hadn't been a girl born in my ex husbands family in a crazy amount of time...like 100 years...maybe not 100 but it was more than 50 or 60....and we had a girl!!!! I was so positive it was gonna be a boy...and it was gonna be here before Christmas, I almost bought a personalized Christmas ornament...good thing I didn't, she was born December 27 and was DEFINATELY not a boy!! LOL
What did you do to get your girl - JK! I'd be happy with either, but would really like a girl. My DH and I tried for a girl but I O'd later then I thought and by the time I O'd we weren't really trying for a girl anymore....I guess I'll know in about a week and half what baby will be.
April 7th, 2011, 09:35 PM
brandaleana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
What did you do to get your girl - JK! I'd be happy with either, but would really like a girl. My DH and I tried for a girl but I O'd later then I thought and by the time I O'd we weren't really trying for a girl anymore....I guess I'll know in about a week and half what baby will be.
Ha Ha! I have NO idea....All my babies have not been planned!!! Luck of the draw, I guess!!

Special thanks to Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandaleana View Post
Ha Ha! I have NO idea....All my babies have not been planned!!! Luck of the draw, I guess!!
Well, pass on some of the girl luck to me .... I could use some right now!
April 8th, 2011, 01:23 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
woow interesting the history of long term boy births for some you girls!!! for those of you who are hoping for a girl...have u read any of the sway methods from the trying to concieve a specific gender forum here on JM?
April 8th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Just me, popping in again.

We didn't intentionally sway, but this baby was a surprise, and the only time we had unprotected sex was 5 days before my ovulation date. Given how the sway methods work, this should mean we have a better chance at a girl...but we'll see I'm really interested in seeing what happens given that I know exactly when we DTD and conceived!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

April 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
If you O'd later then you thought, that could work in your favour. They say, the further away you dtd from O day, the higher the odds of concieving a girl, as girl sperm live longer, but swim slower and boy sperm swim faster but die off sooner.
Can't wait to hear for you - GL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchin View Post
Just me, popping in again.

We didn't intentionally sway, but this baby was a surprise, and the only time we had unprotected sex was 5 days before my ovulation date. Given how the sway methods work, this should mean we have a better chance at a girl...but we'll see I'm really interested in seeing what happens given that I know exactly when we DTD and conceived!
When's your gender scan Urchin? If those sway methods are accurate, I'd agree that you have a good chance of a girl!!

April 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
The sperm that first reaches the egg ultimately decides what gender the baby is as the other ladies have explained. However, swaying methods are used to change the environment for the sperm to make it more or less "friendly" to the desired gendered sperm. So you can change your ph to favor either boy or girl, you can change the day you dtd in relation to O to favor either boy or girl. There are tons of methods to swaying, I think i did just about every single one for a boy and still got a girl.

April 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Timberlyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Timberlyn Send a message via MSN to Timberlyn Send a message via Yahoo to Timberlyn
The sperm isn't completely the deciding factor... Your mucus during fertilization plays a big part as well; it can detur male sperm from reaching the ovum because they have to fight through the mucus leaving female sperm to reach the ovum... There are several forms of mucus some that actually make it very easy to conceive little boys because they just fly right through it & can be there waiting to the earlier description where your more likely to conceive a girl...

That's why it can also take a while to conceive a baby as well just depends on if everything is in the right order... Your mucus has a big deal to do with your age & body style... As well as your husband sperm depends on his age; and things he does to affect its motility...

There are a few genetic situations where the sperm can be dominated by one type; just X or just Y... But I can't find to much information into that subject...

Timberlyn loving wife to Tommy (since June 22nd, 2006)
Proud Mommy to Aedan Thomas (June 14th, 2007), Gage Lawrence (August 23rd, 2008) & Callum Michael (September 18th, 2011)
Missing her Angel Judith Aleigh (since September 19th, 2007) & BabyD (since August 26th, 2010)
April 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberlyn View Post
The sperm isn't completely the deciding factor... Your mucus during fertilization plays a big part as well; it can detur male sperm from reaching the ovum because they have to fight through the mucus leaving female sperm to reach the ovum... There are several forms of mucus some that actually make it very easy to conceive little boys because they just fly right through it & can be there waiting to the earlier description where your more likely to conceive a girl...

That's why it can also take a while to conceive a baby as well just depends on if everything is in the right order... Your mucus has a big deal to do with your age & body style... As well as your husband sperm depends on his age; and things he does to affect its motility...

There are a few genetic situations where the sperm can be dominated by one type; just X or just Y... But I can't find to much information into that subject...

Yes, your internal environment can be more accommodating to either an X or a Y sperm (be it mucous production, acidity, etc.), but in the end, the baby's sex IS 100% dependent upon which sperm fertilizes the egg. The rest is just environmental influence.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search