Not Your Momma's Meatloaf

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Liz_SD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Liz_SD
Not Your Momma's Meatloaf (seriously, it's my dad's meatloaf recipe, my mom can't cook)

1 1/2 lbs ground venison/wild boar (substitute hamburger or ground round ... although it's really yummy with the venison, but that's had to find in San Diego)
1/2 to 2/3 cup of chopped onion (i like red onions)
1/2 to 2/3 cup of chopped celery (optional, i don't usually add this)
1 heaping teaspoon of dried parsley
1 package of beef top ramen
1 small can of tomato sauce (i suggest the small can of hunts tomato sauce with basil, garlic, and oregano)
1 egg
Ketchup
Mustard (i use spicy brown mustard)

Pre-Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Remove spice packet from the Top Ramen. Place ramen noodles in a large zip-lock bag and use a rolling pin to crush to small pieces. The smaller the better. (i don't have a rolling pin so i use a wine bottle. works better if you haven't opened the bottle yet, unless of course if it's empty, then use the bottle and open another one for your drinking pleasure)

In a large mixing bowl, combine crushed ramen noodles with the chopped onion, chopped celery (or not), dried parsley, and the contents of the ramen spice packet. Mix thoroughly.

Next, add the egg, mix well. Now add the tomato sauce. When all smooshed together, start working in the ground beef using a large fork. You can use your hands, but what if the phone rings??? (the last part is seriously a part of my dad's written recipe, it makes me laugh and i do use my hands. squishing meat with my hands is fun)Mash repeatedly until all all ingredients are worked throughout the meat. (hands make this easy). Don’t forget to wash your hands thoroughly.

Place in a corningware or glass dish that has a lid (i use a 8x8 glass dish and it works out really well). Leave enough room from the top and sides so the meat juice (yes, i said meat juice) doesn't overflow and can absorb into the meat loaf as it cooks. Cover the top with ketchup and mustard as a glaze.

Cook covered for about an hour & a half ... whatever you think. I like to uncover it for about the last 10 minutes to allow glazing.

I usually serve this will my fantastically yummy garlic and onion mashed potatoes and the veggies of your choice.

The leftover meat loaf also makes really yummytastic meat loaf sandwiches the next day!!!

April 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
BrittneyLA's Avatar Mom of three boys!
I have never even thought of using top raman noodles!!!! My SIL uses oatmeal, and I am not a fan. I LOVE MEATLOAF though, but SUCK at making it. Maybe ill try this and see how it goes!
April 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Liz_SD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Liz_SD
it's really easy and comes out really well. my MIL used this recipe and she screws everything up and it came out great!

good luck! tell me how it comes out when you try it!

April 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Anna.Loves.Toast's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't wait to try this!! It sounds delicious!

And I can't stand the feeling of meat on my hands...I always cover them with plastic sandwich bags! Hahaha!
April 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Darisey's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_SD View Post
When all smooshed together, start working in the ground beef using a large fork. You can use your hands, but what if the phone rings???

Thank you, Cavewoman for my lovely siggy!

(Click on each blinkie for more info)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search