I feel so relieved!

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Ashl3y
I've FINALLY come to a decision about birth that I'm comfortable with. I kept going back and forth about whether I wanted an elective c/s or if I wanted to take the more "natural" approach to things and I've decided that I'm going to talk to my OB at my next appointment (Monday) about an elective c-section. So glad I can finally stop worrying about it, and hopefully have her go along with my plans.
April 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
congrats, good luck.
April 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck.

April 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats for reaching a decision

Good luck talking to your OB!

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

April 8th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! Make your doctor listen to you and not cut you off!
April 8th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont want to rock the boat but I was curious as to why you are wanting an elective c-section ?

Its a major surgery and scares the H*** out of me lol

April 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Ashl3y
Thanks ladies. I LOVE my doctor so I know that she will at least listen to me. Worst case scenario is that she doesn't think it's a good idea and tries to tell me why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiesmom04 View Post
I dont want to rock the boat but I was curious as to why you are wanting an elective c-section ?

Its a major surgery and scares the H*** out of me lol
Long story short, when my mom was in labor with me she ended up needing an emergency c-section after a very long labor and we both almost died. I do know that the chances of it happening to me are extremely slim to none, but I just wouldn't be comfortable (emotionally) going through labor for a vaginal knowing that something like what happened to her could potentionally happen to me. I've waited far too long for this baby, I just want her out quickly and safely.
April 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ashley, I think it's great that you came to a decision, and I hope all works out for you. I just think a lot of us, whether we've BTDT and have had to have one, or because we've seen the issues that can arise from them are extremely confused as to why someone would voluntarily have something like that done that isn't medically necessary. I don't want you to feel lashed out at or scorned, but just want you to understand where we are coming from. I hope you have a great birthing experience.
April 8th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Angel_Maker
Ashley, I think your concerns are very valid. This is exactly why my SIL is having a c section this time! Her daughter almost died during delivery because she was too big to pass through the birth canal [although she was only a little over 7lbs]

Good luck hunnie
April 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashl3y View Post
Long story short, when my mom was in labor with me she ended up needing an emergency c-section after a very long labor and we both almost died. I do know that the chances of it happening to me are extremely slim to none, but I just wouldn't be comfortable (emotionally) going through labor for a vaginal knowing that something like what happened to her could potentionally happen to me. I've waited far too long for this baby, I just want her out quickly and safely.
I think your concerns are very valid. As humans we learn through the expierances of ourselves and others so it is a natural response to fear something after a situation like that. I dont think there is anything wrong with it, even though I wouldnt choose it for myself, were all diffrent And in all honesty I would rather you choose an elective c-section becuse of something like that ^ then something silly like no wanting to be stretched down there.

Like I said, congrats for reaching your decision and good luck!

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

April 8th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on making your decision. I hope your doc listens to you and the two of you come to a consensus that you are BOTH comfortable with. (ie I hope your doc understands your fears and let's you have the elective c-sec you desire).

April 8th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnMyLabs View Post
Ashley, I think it's great that you came to a decision, and I hope all works out for you. I just think a lot of us, whether we've BTDT and have had to have one, or because we've seen the issues that can arise from them are extremely confused as to why someone would voluntarily have something like that done that isn't medically necessary. I don't want you to feel lashed out at or scorned, but just want you to understand where we are coming from. I hope you have a great birthing experience.
I ditto this. I just don't understand and won't understand, this is just one of those things for me. I guess it just makes me sad because I know what an amazing, empowering experience it can be to have a vaginal birth and I know how guilty I would feel should my child end up in the NICU because I wanted them here RIGHT NOW DARN IT! I don't want you to feel like I am judging you for your decision, I just feel sad for you that you have such little faith in your body and what it is capable of and I just hope and pray that you think this through all the way so that you don't end up with ANY regrets.

I will also say, I am not trying to change your mind because frankly, I think you were set on this before you even began asking questions, I just want you to understand that I really feel for you and I want you to make the best decision based on your needs, rather than the needs or experiences of others.

April 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
no.absolutes's Avatar absolutelyNOT
First, I want to say that I do not judge anyone that has a c-section for medical reasons, including those that may be mental.

I do just want to put out there that our bodies were MADE to give birth. We are also ALL different. Some moms have to have a C-section on their first child and go on to have VBACs, others have several vaginal births and end up with a C-section down the road.

Just because your mom had a near-death experience with vaginal birth, does not mean you will. You indicated she had a long and hard labor, and then needed a C-section. Your labor experience could be completely different. Your water could break before your elective C-section date and your baby could "slide right out" with a few pushes.

I was terrified five years ago when I went into labor with Grayson. I didn't really know what was going on or what my choices were. I went into the hospital at 3am, had an epidural by 4am, and popped Grayson out by 3pm.

I'm not going to say it was the easiest thing I've ever done, and pushing him out definitely wasn't the most fulfilling thing I've ever done either, but I am glad I tried... and will try again with this next baby.

I hope you and your doctor come to a conclusion that work for both of you. I hope your doctor encourages you to at least TRY a vaginal birth and informs you of the risks of an unnecessary C-section. Remember, a C-section is MAJOR surgery. There is chance of bleeding, injury, and infection. You also do not get to hold your baby for the first time immediately - you may have to wait up to three hours (just depends on your recovery).

Again, I am not judging you or anyone that has had a C-section, I just want you to make an educated decision that's not just based on fear. Your body can do this and will do it if you let it and believe it can. In Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, she writes about how the body and mind are truly connected. If you BELIEVE your body can do something, it CAN!

April 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Super Mommy
I am just lurking but I want to say that it is great you have made a decision that makes you happy. I had a stillbirth that I delivered naturally and it mentally scarred me. I chose to have an elective c-section with my daughter at 37.5 weeks after an amnio proved her lungs were mature. I had never before had any major surgery and you know what? To this day, I could not be happier with my decision to have her the way I did. Sure, it complicates future delivery decisions, but I was and am okay with that. I just want my baby to come out alive. You need to do what is right for you. And if you know the risks and are still more comfortable with it, go for it and don't look back! Good luck!
April 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
I seriously considered a c-section for my second after the traumatic experience I had giving birth to my daughter. My situation was a bit different, though, as my doctor was primarily to blame -- that woman was a total nutjob. While sure, elective c-sections are considered to be "unnecessary" at best, you need to think about your emotional well-being as well, because that will affect everything you and your baby deal with in the future. I commend you for coming to the decision that is ultimately best for you. I hope your doctor will understand.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

April 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had some concerns because I was breach and my mother needed a c-section. I talked with my midwife about it and she said the act of labor, things like being breach, etc., are not genetic. Whatever happened to my mother has nothing to do with what will happen to me. Could my baby be breach? Yes. But it has nothing to do with my moms delivery.

That being said, I hope you have a safe and healthy delivery, no matter which way you choose to do it

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

April 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Angel_Maker
Having had two traumatic vaginal birthing experiences in which I delivered lifeless babies into the world, I cannot say for a minute that I have "faith" in my body to do what it's supposed to do. My body has failed me time and time again, and quite frankly, if there was a DR in the world who would do it, I'd ask for Aaliyah to be delivered ASAP because every day that goes by, I grow more and more anxious wondering if she is going to die while inside of me....that is not an irrational fear for me to have since that is all I know. I'm still terrified of a vaginal delivery because I think something terrible is going to happen to her. I'd rather them cut me open and take her out. I've risked my life twice for my other babies and this time would be no different.

I *wish* I could be as confident in my body [and it's abilities] as some of you women are It's very admirable and I have to admit that I'm "jealous" [not in a hateful or spiteful way] that you are able to exude such confidence....I hope that all of us get the birthing experience that we desire and are blessed with the opportunity to celebrate a new and beautiful little life
April 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Brandi, I can completely understand your worry. When that is all you have experienced it has got to be one of the most unsettling feelings to ever deal with.
April 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Lotsakids's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
~*Goodluck*~ with your appointment. I hope that it goes well

Mama to -
DD16, DD15, DD13, DS11, DS5, DD3

Evelyn Isobel is here! Born - 2nd November 2013
April 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
richmond_girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to richmond_girl
Birthing is a very personal choice... I wanted a NCB with DS and guess what, he arrived via emergency c-section - and I am ok with it. So much so that I may consider a repeat c again (although we would only schedule it for on or after DD's actual DD). The most important thing is to make a decision that YOU are comfortable with. I'm glad you are talking things through with your OB, keep us posted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search