Is anyone using a drop side crib?

Forum: 2011 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2011 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ours was never used as DD slept with us, but I know drop sides were all recalled and are now extinct. We have plans to buy a new one, but rather than up and buy right away, we've decided to hold off and keep looking locally on kijiji (like Canadian craigslist?) for a crib, change table, dresser set. Because why not? I know some of you here got insane deals, and I'm hoping to find one myself. if not, we'll suck it up, and buy new. ANYHOW to the point (I have a habit of rambling!) is that every time I look on there it is 80% drop side cribs. So that means people ARE using them, or getting rid of them anyway... but still... people are buying them off there.

So I just got to wondering... are any of you using a drop side crib?

Part of me thinks I should just use the one we have, and just buy and new dresser and change table. I know they have those kits that stop the side from dropping too...

Feedback please!
April 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
First Time Mommy
We bought our crib from a second hand store for $85 and it WAS a drop down side, but before they sale it the guy uses one of those kits that you are talking about and makes it a permanent side. The mattress height can still be adjusted as needed.

Do ya'll have any second hand or consignment stores around there? I was checking our Craigslist forever for a dresser and changing table and possibly a book shelf, but can never find anything. I went to the same store we got our crib from and left with a changing table. Whatever we don't get at our shower (big stuff) then we will most likely get the things from that store. They have 4 "houses" worth of merchandise and in great shape!

Keeping Up With The Petrosians
April 7th, 2011, 05:49 PM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DD is still in a drop side, and I'm not taking her out of it. If she was old enough to go in a toddler bed when Xavier is born, he'd inherit her crib.
If I were you, I would use the crib I have.

April 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I'd use the crib you have and get the kit to make it fixed.

We haven't gotten one yet. I'm going to do some yard sale shopping this Spring to see if I can find one.
April 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we're using our dropside from the boys, but I haven't decided yet if I'll make it stationary

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
April 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Mama.Angie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was sort of using the whole drop side thing as an excuse to get a new one... but if we use the same one, we can buy a nicer quality dresser and or change table. Among other things.

Ugh! Boo! Why must I be so sensible sometimes?!

Okay, so stupid question, because I never bothered looking into at the time having no need to fix it at the time... where does one get this kit??? Are they all for the specific cribs?
April 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I got my kit from the company the first time it was recalled. It didn't actually have any of the issues that other were having, I just figured it'd be better that way. Then I learned I could return it and get a refund even though I'd had it for 5 years so I bought a set of bunkbeds with the money I got from it.

You could try to contact the company for the repair kit....

April 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
mccaroline's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Call or email the company who made your crib and you will get a free kit sent to you.

I have a drop side and I'm planning on using it as is. I do have the kit in my closet so if I find the side is getting loose and not staying up I'll pop on the new pieces and use it as a fixed side. Until then I just plan on checking it every time I put the baby in.

April 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
imRockysgal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a drop side, although we don't use the drop part. I'll continue using it. I'm not concerned.

Amy ... Mama to
Gabriella (9) .. Liliana (8)
Josefina (5) .. Marciano (4)
Baby Mateo Augustine 08/25/11

April 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM
~Rae~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right, I'm guessing the company would have one. I never ordered one for our crib though.
KUP on what you decide to do!

April 8th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a drop side crib and I'll be using it as is

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
April 8th, 2011, 07:42 AM
BeccaM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to BeccaM
My sister gave me her old crib and it was a drop side. I didnt even know there was a kit to make it fixed. But also being the crib was 13 or so years old we didnt keep it and will find a new one.
April 8th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Happy Mommy
Mine is not, but if I still have L or C's with the dorp side I would use it for sure
April 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Yeah, I'd probably still be using mine if I didn't find out I could return it. lol Because of that I got Erin's and Patrick's bunks for $20

April 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
JustOneMoreBean's Avatar Super Mommy
I went ahead and bought our crib and changing table off Craigslist because I wasn't about to pay the ridiculous brand new cost. The crib was dropside but when I got it home, I just called the manufacturer and they sent me the parts to stop the dropside and to make the crib really sturdy. Our crib is perfect now and I didn't pay a fortune. If you get one thats been recalled, you can do what I did and I've heard if the manufacturer can't send parts to fix it, they'll give you a voucher towards a new crib! Win-win in my book!

April 8th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm currently using one for Curly. I'd have no prob using it for the new baby too, but I'm 98% sure we'll be co-sleeping. I've used it for all my kids without any sort of problem. I never raise and lower the side though.

April 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd get one if it was an insane deal. For example, someone on craigslist is trying to sell one for $40 (only!) and I wanted to snatch it up... but DH said NO! $40! So frustrating! The next best price for used cribs is $75 to $100. I am really frustrated right now...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search